Honored Contributor

Re: Stationary Bike Experiences

[ Edited ]

@FastDogWalker2 

I prefer Recumbent bikes after having had a Schwinn for many years. I have 2 Recumbents now, a close to 20 year old Pro Form, and a 1 year old True model ES9, was thrir top model when I bought it. It comes with all the widgets, few of which I use regularly.

They are both "step through", not "climb over" frames. I can get as comfortable on either of them as I choose. Nothing on a regular stationary bike that appeals to me, and if those seats fit anyone's butt?

During my 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes,  I tried the 3 different models, and brands, of the regular type stationaries, and No Thank You. My old Pro Form works perfectly well and I still use it for 1 specific knee exercise, which is to keep the strength in my VMO muscles, the ones that help support the Patella. Really help for my ice skating drills I still use.

That's my view on stationary bikes.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I have owned a Marcy stationary bike for 5 years, use it on average 4-5 days a week for all those years...still working fine. Quiet. Compact. Folds up to small footprint.

Nothing fancy...ie. if you are looking for recumbant seats etc...this is just a plain, sit upright and bike, bike. 

I got it on Amazon, for then $120, free shipping with my Prime. Well worth it. I just checked, same bike is there, "Amazon's Choice"

Can't post a link here for you but put: 

"Marcy foldable, upright excercise bike, with adjustable resistance", now it's $164.99, still a good buy.

I've been very happy with this purchase, and judging from Amazon reviews so have others...still has an almost 5 star rating with over 3300 reviews.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide if you want. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

We had 2 Schwinn Air Dynes over many years, , done with them, too heavy and didnt like the huge spinning wheels, created way too much cold air around them, hopes this makes good sense. Have a different one now that was about 1000, called Cascade Pro, my DH loves it. I am late 60's and find that bike seats are no longer comfortable for me, none of them. All of them dig into me where it really hurts, if you get my drift !!!

my hubs bought bike shorts, that have padding in the fannie.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut  I am curious as I know nothing about stationary bikes..  How does a particular model of stationary bike prevent knee damage from continual repetitive use. 

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

we bought a folding bike, from amazon, in the 150.00 range. my hubs uses it daily and likes it. he's 70 and doesn't use it like someone would a bike for spinning. just plain old peddeling. it's quiet and didn't break the bank.

We probably have the same bike!  I use it everyday and get a good workout.

Honored Contributor

I have one and used to use it a lot. It allowed me to work out while my knees were acting up. Now I do exercise routine videos instead, but I'm keeping the bike. It's very therapeutic. It's a good no excuses option.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@agb80 wrote:

@hckynut  I am curious as I know nothing about stationary bikes..  How does a particular model of stationary bike prevent knee damage from continual repetitive use. 

Thank you.

@agb80 

Not 100% sure of what you are asking here. Are you talking about knee damage from "continual repetitive use" as in a job, or maybe doing exercises? Not sure which.

First thing with a stationary bike, they are non weight bearing, as opposed to walking/jogging or running. All the latter ones mentioned, you are carrying your body weight. On an stationary bike you are not.

Just as with a regular bike, a stationary bike's seat can be adjusted, which can change the angle or degree, of the bending and flexion of the knee. Full extensions or contractions can put too much strain on the knee cap, and the VMO muscles that support the Patella Tendon.

That is yet another reason I prefer my "recumbent stationary bikes" over the standard stationary bike/exercycle. The angle(degree of bend) can be easily changed on a recumbent because the seat does not go "up and down", it goes "forward and backwards". This makes it much easier to see/feel the angle/degree of knee bend and flexion.

All stationary bikes, if properly adjusted, put little strain on the knee joint, and also primarily, strengthens the Quad Muscles(the big muscles above the knee) which in turn puts less strain on the knees.

I have used these for decades now, along with other upper leg strengthening exercises, for both my ice skating and running about 300,000 miles training and running Road Races.

At 81, I have had not 1 knee joint problem or injury. I attribute a lot of that to my extra work on protecting my knees with keeping all the supporting muscles above and around my knees very strong and also flexible.

If this didn't answer your question, could you ask it more specifically, as pertaining to you meaning of "knee damage from continual repetitive use"?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut  Thank you! Your explanation was great!

Regular Contributor

Several months ago, I bought a Exerpuetic Folding Magnetic Upright Exercise bike with Pulse from Amazon $148

I have been having problems with a torn or stretched meniscus along with the age related arthritis.

I really love this bike.  It's compact, quiet and has a very comfortable seat.

I highly recommend it.  But, of course, it's not for Spinners.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a Slim Cycle at Bed, Bath & Beyond a few years ago for $90.   I've since seen it advertised on TV infomercials for much more.... hmmm.    Anyway, I got the Slim Cycle because of the comfortable wide seat.  I'd had 2 cycles previously that hurt my rump so much, I wouldn't ride them even with pillows.   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt