Respected Contributor

Re: Stationary Bike Experiences

I have a Schwinn recumbent bike that I ride every weekday morning.  I have had it for more than 20 years and I have gotten a lot of use from it.  I love the seat.  It has a large, padded seat and has a back.  The padded seat has cracked some over the years but it doesn't bother me. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle 

Had the same issue when I rode the tandem bike.  Last year I got a trike with a really comfortable seat:  it was shaped more like a curved chair seat and has a thick Sherpa covering.  

While down in FL, I can ride it for 40+ minutes with no problem at all.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@hick wrote:

Several months ago, I bought a Exerpuetic Folding Magnetic Upright Exercise bike with Pulse from Amazon $148

I have been having problems with a torn or stretched meniscus along with the age related arthritis.

I really love this bike.  It's compact, quiet and has a very comfortable seat.

I highly recommend it.  But, of course, it's not for Spinners.

this is the one we have. 2 years later, it's still holding up great.

Respected Contributor

I was thinking about getting a stationary bike.  It's not so much the cost of the bike(s), though it is more than I would like to spend.  It's those monthly fees.  Plus, if the video/screen breaks, I'm sure costs a lot of money to fix.  I'm leaning towards a more basic bike without monthly fees.

Frequent Contributor

We bought the Schwinn IC4....and I follow some a group on FB that really likes this bike.  I do to. It has a magenetic flywheel which makes the ride smooth, I like the consol that tells you speed, cadence, distance, etc.  I did not want to buy a Peloton, but I use this bike with the Peloton app.  The app is great with rich content beyond the bike--I use the stretching and strength training.  I used to do long distance cycling, so this meets my needs in the phase of life (60yo).   The seat is not that comfy but I wear padded cycling shorts and bought a gel seat cover.  Makes it more tolerable.  One of the discussions was the challenge to the knees:  the biggest issue is the "fit" of the bike.  For example, if the seat is too low that is a great deal of pressure on your knees.  Too high and you may be rocking side to side which will make your sit-down-parts tender.  If you have knee problems, you can still peddle with less resistance.  Happy peddling!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the alert on using cushioned seat pads.

I'm looking for a seat back that is substantial (higher than most very short seat backs).

So much easier and more comfortable to lean back while pedaling.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

Thanks for the alert on using cushioned seat pads.

I'm looking for a seat back that is substantial (higher than most very short seat backs).

So much easier and more comfortable to lean back while pedaling.

@ROMARY 

Sounds like you are talking about a Recumbent. The seat is much better as the $$ go up. My "True", top of line Model,has a seat fit for a luxury car. Full seat and back, and the back is adjustable. 

You can lean it way back, which in turn, changes the angle and length of knee contraction and flexion. That cannot be done with a non-adjustable seat back. Extra $$ buy more comfort for the user, not just a widget, but a very important physical difference for the rider.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@FastDogWalker2

I used a NordicTrack commercial bike a V21 or a bike with some electronics at a gym last year.

This bike did not have an IFit system. 

I was thinking about buying one. I didn't not have the space. The bike was about $800.

I liked the bike, because it was good quality, and not portable.

Please try a bike in a store before buying. 

You maybe able to find a used bike as things return to normal. 

People will want to return to the gym.