Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Berberine can help reduce the side effects of statins and berberine might take the place of statins altogether. It works that way.

This is excellent advice @SilleeMee . My son has benefitted greatly as it also reduces blood glucose levels.

Super Contributor

@Trinity11 what type heart attack?

Honored Contributor

Re: Statins and CoQ10

[ Edited ]

@FatCatinCT wrote:

@Trinity11 what type heart attack?

I had a blockage to the left anterior descending artery and 100% to an offshoot of that same artery. It was undetected on the scan but an angiogram found it. I have 5 stents and a balloon in the offshoot.

I also had a nuclear scan and stress test weeks before. I was told they were normal. They raved about how well I did on the stress test.😳

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11  Well h%ll, now you got me worried.  Glad you survived the attack.

I've had an echo, stress, CT and all was clear, dr said that I have no diagnosis to warrant an angiogram.  I don't have symptoms, just heart palps here and there and rare.  Both my parents had passed by the age of 64 so it had me worried and had all the testing done just a few months ago as I am now as of this month, on medicare.  Yipee, NOT.  

Stay well.

(I still believe, however, statins are big pharma bs)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

About berberine...scroll down to "Discussion" and read what the NIH has to say about it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8107691/

ETA-

Berberine lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and it also lowers A1C. The only side effects involves digestive issues, mostly diarrhea, constip and upset stomach. Nothing like statins side effects at all.

In one article I read on the NIH site it was mentioned that berberine is being considered to be formulated into a Rx drug sometime in the near future.

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

statins also cause type 2 diabetes.... so they fix one problem and start another... I will never take them and do what I can naturally... too many side effects from pharmacuticals...just listen to the ads on TV,,, at the end of the pharmacutical drug ads they talk really fast and low about all the side effects including DEATH.... just death... thats all!

Potential risks and side effects

• Muscle damage. Statins can cause muscle pains, especially in high doses. ...
  • Liver damage. Liver damage is another possible serious side effect of statin therapy. ...
  • Increased risk of diabetes. Statins may also cause the glucose (sugar) levels in your blood to rise. ...
  • Confusion or memory problems. If you have these side effects, talk to your doctor. ...

My thoughts exactly. Doctors are so programmed to go by numbers, they dish out pills like they'recandy, just to get the lab numbers and check. What patients don't realize is the possible side effects, and type 2 diabetes is one side effect of taking a statin. I myself would rather walk 4 miles a day, and work out on a Peleton then take a statin ever. I'm not a pharmaceutical lover. I think the doctors push way too many pills for people who really don't need them. Instead of getting to the root problem, they put a pill on top of it to mask the insufficient lab numbers. 

@Effie54   My husband was never asked to look at his diet and lifestyle FIRST.... BEFORE starting statins or blood pressure meds....he is 20 pounds over weight...sedentary and eats too many carbs.   If his doctor told him to make a few changes he most likely would not need either of the medications....but they just say nothing  and subscribe them..... I have been married to the Man for 45 years...nothing I do or say has helped all these many years....So I keep my mouth shut. 

Esteemed Contributor

When my DH started having side effects from his statin drug, our family Internal med PCP suggested trying an over-the-counter medication.  This trial was in conjunction with DH’s cardiologist.  

The Product is “CholestOff Complete,” must be the “Complete” version, and is available st CVS, etc.  If your cardiologist agrees to a trial, you and doctor decide how long and when cholesterol is checked.

It worked well for my DH,  His cardiologist now recommends his patients to give this a try.

Respected Contributor

@Susic  After many years of trying at least six different statins

that caused muscle pain and other side affects, my cardiologist put me on 1 mg of Livalo daily. I have been taking this for more

than two years with no problem. He checks blood work for liver function, blood sugar and cholesterol every three months.

Honored Contributor

I  was on statins for a short period of time a couple different times and I can't remember the names of the meds.  Both times it was horrible!  I had such pain, I couldn't even lift a coffee mug and could hardly walk!  It was terrible.  The dr. said, start taking the pill every other day -- same thing.  I am not on any statin right now.  It's genetic in my case.  I can eat literally like a bird and walk a million miles a day and I still have high cholesterol.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

statins also cause type 2 diabetes.... so they fix one problem and start another... I will never take them and do what I can naturally... too many side effects from pharmacuticals...just listen to the ads on TV,,, at the end of the pharmacutical drug ads they talk really fast and low about all the side effects including DEATH.... just death... thats all!

Potential risks and side effects

• Muscle damage. Statins can cause muscle pains, especially in high doses. ...
  • Liver damage. Liver damage is another possible serious side effect of statin therapy. ...
  • Increased risk of diabetes. Statins may also cause the glucose (sugar) levels in your blood to rise. ...
  • Confusion or memory problems. If you have these side effects, talk to your doctor. ...

My thoughts exactly. Doctors are so programmed to go by numbers, they dish out pills like they'recandy, just to get the lab numbers and check. What patients don't realize is the possible side effects, and type 2 diabetes is one side effect of taking a statin. I myself would rather walk 4 miles a day, and work out on a Peleton then take a statin ever. I'm not a pharmaceutical lover. I think the doctors push way too many pills for people who really don't need them. Instead of getting to the root problem, they put a pill on top of it to mask the insufficient lab numbers. 

@Effie54   My husband was never asked to look at his diet and lifestyle FIRST.... BEFORE starting statins or blood pressure meds....he is 20 pounds over weight...sedentary and eats too many carbs.   If his doctor told him to make a few changes he most likely would not need either of the medications....but they just say nothing  and subscribe them..... I have been married to the Man for 45 years...nothing I do or say has helped all these many years....So I keep my mouth shut. 

I totally hear you......it's so sad that many, not all, doctors push pills instead of lifestyle change. I decided to try natural pathic medicine, and have been much happier ever since. I still have a regular physician for the Bare Necessities, but I refuse to gobble a bunch of pills that I don't need, or could cause me side effects. My husband LOVES his carbs, and I cringe watching him eating chips, crackers and bread. Oye! Many doctors get kickbacks from prescribing meds, so that's another incentive for them.