Honored Contributor

Re: Statin muscle pain/weakness - please describe

[ Edited ]

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@Moonchilde, I caught the morning news before heading out the door this morning....I don't think you are going to be the only Californian who is late on any number of things.....You clearly don't need me to tell you how bad things are there!

I am relieved you are no worse, but I am not totally comfortable with what's going on either..... I am sending positive energy to you, @Noel7 aand @house_cat.

I hope you are getting the healthy food you need: it's difficult at times meeting our needs.

Take care my friend,

Hugs

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2 it's stopped raining for however long & the sun is in and out but VERY windy. Oh pleeze no more trees down! My g-niece is bringing me yum food and coffee in about half an hour. She cheers me up just talking to her.  We HOPE we should have power tomorrow, or possibly very late tonight. G-niece has friends who live kinda  near our house and theirs is back on. So it will happen. I just wish I felt better otherwise.

The area where G-niece works (she's off today) is in the middle of being evacuation recommended. The river there is just about over its banks.

The joy of country life combined with old age 👺

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Moonchilde, can anybody help you when you get back home? Hopefully, you don't have a lot in your fridge and freezer, but if you do, you will probably need help.

How is the pain level and mobility?

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

The medical community keeps lowering the numbers creating a need for more and more people to be diagnosed as having high cholesterol.  So my doctor put  me on Lipitor.  Two weeks into it my fingers would not move without pain, then my legs.  I figured it out.. tossed the meds in the trash and within a few days I was back to normal.  

I changed my diet, lost weight and my numbers changed but not under the LINE which kept dropping.  IN any case I can move, I am happy and I will not take anything ever again.  Too much influence by those seeking to make a profit at my expense in more ways that one.

I hate to sound like a loon but there are things I swear the insurance industry does to make more money and this is one of them.  Put out lower cholestrol guidelines then more people have to take the meds and they get richer.

Same with changing the screening guidelines for pap tests and mammograms.  That wasn't done to help patients out, that was done to help insurance companies out.  Now they are paying for less screenings. 

@Lipstickdiva

I agree 100%.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

I read a book ~ 6 mo ago called "Are Your Prescriptions Killing You?" b/c I am convinced my grandmother is overmedicated (called polypharmacy) b/c she's groggy most of the time).

Livers metabolize things differently as you age, so a dosage that's appropriate for me might not be for my parents/grandmother.

My dad is on a generic statin and for a time was having pain when walking longer distances.  He now takes a magnesium supplement and the pain has ceased.

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Moonchilde, can anybody help you when you get back home? Hopefully, you don't have a lot in your fridge and freezer, but if you do, you will probably need help.

How is the pain level and mobility?

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2, I live with my niece and her husband, so no worries there. It's "our" house in the sense that I live with them, but I don't have to "take care" of it. So far as she's been able to check, the food still seems pretty frozen (shock!). She has put dry ice in the freezer & taken some stuff to friends's freezer, where I'm going when I check out today.

On to a mixed bag of news - Just OUR STREET is the last one in our "neighborhood" that doesn't have power 😫😩😜😟😰 Fingers crossed for later today. Gaah!

But - there has been a slight improvement for me. Very baby steps, but I'll take it! Left thigh muscles that have been so very painful since the stairs are better. Back & butt still bad but very slightly better. My "warm up" period, i.e. the period where I want to scream with pain on standing, is slightly less right on getting out of bed. That's my most encouraging sign. Still plenty agonizing without warning, but a tiny bit less. And the weakness is also a tiny bit better.

I've been taking vit D, calc/mag/zinc, CoQ10 and B12 like crazy. Something in there might be working. There was also some shall-not-be-named medicinal use last night. I suppose it could be that as well.

Waiting for g-niece to bring me breakfast and I will check out and drive to friends.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde, II have had scripts for stations, filled them with the idea I would take them-couldn't bring myself to do it-I know that was the right decision for me-but the Co Q-10 thing bothered me.

I know from physiology that Co Q-10 is part of the electron transport system in every cell. Cyanide kills because tilt stops that chain.  I AM NOT SUGGESTING STATINS KILL, BUT if they diminish the amount, in my little brain, I equate SLOW cell growth and many problems with stations. For example, skeletal muscle-heart muscle-nerves.....those are all cells on "the go".

If you take stations, recommended doses are all over the map.  Once again, opinions about Co Q are divided, but maybe it is helping.  I'm relieved you are feeling better, but I'm still concerned......

When was your last EMG?

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Our power is back! We're at friend's house & will have dinner here & then go home - before the local roads flood from the river. 

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2, I've never had an EMG because I've never had any reason to need one.

So far so good, I am having improvement. Not sure what it is - time off the statin, or which pill I'm taking, or ?  I'm just glad I'm better than yesterday.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  I never had one either, even with the pain ,I still was able to use my arm

Honored Contributor

Little black cloud following me!

After being on, the power at our house was out again less than hour before we got there! It was back on when we got home. Only enough time to bring stuff in from the car, change clothes & relax, and...wait for it - the power went out AGAIN! Only stayed off for about 15 min.

I was a small bit better most of the day, but am tired now and things like legs are also tired. Fingers crossed tomorrow will still be moving forward.