Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Mindy D 

I would never suggest a calorie counting app, she is already obsessed and eating WAY too little.  I remember years ago she weighed everything she ate to be certain to control her portions.  (we lived closer at the time) She would actually weigh out her portion of spinach, she would remove the extra leaves until she got to the right gram.

Okie dokie. Definitely an eating disorder. 

Sure sounds like it.

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Mindy D 

I would never suggest a calorie counting app, she is already obsessed and eating WAY too little.  I remember years ago she weighed everything she ate to be certain to control her portions.  (we lived closer at the time) She would actually weigh out her portion of spinach, she would remove the extra leaves until she got to the right gram.

Are you suggesting that you suspect your friend has an eating disorder? Maybe she has a distorted self perception. Perhaps she’s even misperceiving her weight. From your original post I got the impression that you thought she was not losing despite actually doing everything stated by you and that you wanted to understand the mystery of why she was not losing weight. The above response puts a new and different spin on the situation. She could be binge eating when you don’t see her. She could be purging. She could be bulimic or have anorexia nervosa. She could be orthorexic. She could have nutritional deficiencies as a result. Telling her this would not be wise but having her see her doctor about her claims she is not losing weight might help. The doctor might run tests and determine what is going on.  

I am in no position to accuse anyone of an eating disorder that is beyond my skill set.

To those of us who know her, this is common to her personality.

She started dating a runner- by Monday she hired a trainer to train for a marathon.  

She joined a young professional club that had a ski group, she bought thousands of dollars of ski equipment.  She even considered buying a vehicle better suited to her ski hobby!

Now she is obsessed with her weight, not health- just making a weight number.  

My question here was does anyone think that one can eat so few calories that the body can go into starvation mode and conserve energy and not lose weight.

Just curious- Has she asked for your help with this situation? 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418  Why would she ask for my help?  She has a FB group that offers this great diet plan with shakes to provide weight loss.

I did not offer any advice or help I just offered empathy as she is frustrated and wanted to vent.

Esteemed Contributor

I think I've read this whole thread.  The one thing that keeps coming to mind is, does this individual really need to lose 40 pounds?

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@fortune 

Then perhaps you should know from your training  to confine your comments and recommendations to people who actually are under your care, IF you are licensed and hired to provide their care..

You know who I mean..............the people you actually know something about, and on whose behalf, you presumably are following orders from their physicians.

If  patients are  prone to seizures and/or taking special drugs for  this or other conditions, biotin  supplements can be harmful.

I get warnings every year when I get a total blood-workup during a routine physical that biotin taken within a certain time of the test could alter the results. 

@novamc1 

You are absolutely right.  This poster should consult her doctor for more thyroid tests and to get recommendations for vitamins.