Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I think there is also the possibility that the "reporting" of the calorie count in inaccurate.  This is a reason why many "studies" on diet results are useless as they rely on notoriously flawed self-reporting.

We're all experts at self deception when we diet.  It's a mind thing.  We don't do it intentionally.  We also grossly underestimate proprotions.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I think there is also the possibility that the "reporting" of the calorie count is inaccurate.  This is a reason why many "studies" on diet results are useless as they rely on notoriously flawed self-reporting.

Plus, the calories in an apple or whatever vary wildly.  

True.  And that's not counting the peanut butter I put on them.  But I digress!

And I recall a report I saw on a news program several years back when people in a food court were asked how many calories they thought were in what they were eating.

The people all vastly under guessed and were shocked to find out how many calories they were actually eating.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I think there is also the possibility that the "reporting" of the calorie count in inaccurate.  This is a reason why many "studies" on diet results are useless as they rely on notoriously flawed self-reporting.

We're all experts at self deception when we diet.  It's a mind thing.  We don't do it intentionally.  We also grossly underestimate proprotions.  

I wasn't accusing anyone of intentionally misreporting.  Cat LOL

But it is what happens, for whatever reason.

Honored Contributor

Re: Starvation mode

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

If someone isn't eating foods providing the amount of  complete protein that their body needs, how is it possible for that person  to not be deficient in it?????

Should we  assume all people are getting all the protein they need, even if they don't consume it???

If so, let's stop donating food to  the poor and sending money to malnourished people in Africa.

Question #1:  

There's no such thing as a 'complete' protein.

All foods have protein in them.

Question #2:

Yes, it is a safe assumption we are 'getting all' the protein. 
In the Western world, we are consuming TOO much protein.

BTW: Protein isn't a food item. This macronutrient is in all foods.

Comment #3:

Like I mentioned before, being 'deficient' in protein is generally

associated with too little/no calories.  If one is consuming

enough calories, one is consuming enough of the macronutrient

protein to not be deficient. 

The Western World has such an odd fascination with protein.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

The obvious answer is she needs to see her doctor AND a professional nutritionist recommended by her doctor.  

Came to make the same recommendation.

A plant-based diet isn't automatically healthier just because it's plant-based. It can be very difficult to get the right proteins and healthy fats in a plant-based diet. My sister is a vegetarian who mostly survives on mac and cheese and Soylent and it's going about as well as you'd expect.

@Alison Wonderland 

If one is eating low fat, whole food, plant based diet, they will achieve

the optimum of healthy fats & plenty of protein/carbohydrates.

It's not difficult....unless one wants it to be. 

Honored Contributor

Something doesn't add up.  I would push her to make a Drs appt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I always heard about it but never truly seen it but I think I have now.

My friend who is weight-obsessed made a goal to lose 40 pounds before her 40th B-day so back in Jan 2019 she 'buckled down' went on a plant-based diet and eats no more than 1000 calories a day.  Fasts a few times a month and exercises regularly.

She lost a few pounds at first and has not lost a pound since and now it has been months and she is going crazy.

We traveled together for a conference and I have to admit she eats VERY little.  Drinks water all day but eats very few calories.  She is never hungry.

I started to wonder, 'starvation mode?'

She confessed she did start wearing hair extensions because her hair is now so thin.  When I saw her when we met for the convention I was surprised her once beautiful locks are very thin from root to tip (you can see her scalp) and her skin, coloring is poor.  She had her thyroid and hormones checked out.  

So after 10 months she still has 35 pounds to lose!!

I can see why she is frustrated.

Your friend could be miscalculating her calorie intake. She could try using MYFITNESSPAL or other app to trackher calories to see what she has actually taken in. It’s easy to to take in far more calories than what one realizes. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

I would never suggest a calorie counting app, she is already obsessed and eating WAY too little.  I remember years ago she weighed everything she ate to be certain to control her portions.  (we lived closer at the time) She would actually weigh out her portion of spinach, she would remove the extra leaves until she got to the right gram.

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Mindy D 

I would never suggest a calorie counting app, she is already obsessed and eating WAY too little.  I remember years ago she weighed everything she ate to be certain to control her portions.  (we lived closer at the time) She would actually weigh out her portion of spinach, she would remove the extra leaves until she got to the right gram.

Okie dokie. Definitely an eating disorder. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH and I changed our lifestyle in September last year. We have been losing weight ever since. DH has lost 85 lbs and I am nearing 60 lbs. We don't count calories...only carbs. We have to watch our sugar/carb intake which technically for us is NO sugar/low carb.

Based upon what we had for meals a few days this week, I tried to figure out calories for those curious and we have been averaging about 1,800-2,000 a day.

Dinner tonight was a big salad, rotisserie chicken from our Ronco and sugar-free raspberry jello w/whipped cream for dessert Smiley Happy