Esteemed Contributor
I've worked out my entire life sometimes
More than others but it was my lifestyle. There was a time when my body wasn't working and exercise got me back to living the best life I could being diagnosed with a chronic illness.
Well now after nearly two years of not working out consistently I have to start again.
I know I have to start slow and results take time. I know how difficult this is going to be and how I can't push myself because of my limitations. It's not like I'm 30 or 40 anymore. I guess a part of me is afraid to start. If anyone has been through this and can give any words of support I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Honored Contributor

Let go of the fear/failure, embrace your courage and drive.  You are taking a courageous step, don't doubt your ability.  Love when I see/hear people beginning to take flight, so much respect.  

Esteemed Contributor
Thank you so much @pheonixbird your kind words mean more than you could know. This just isn't me and I miss ME.
Honored Contributor

Re: Starting over

[ Edited ]

@ANewHue 

hope you get this.

I too am trying to fight my way back from a three year battle with a dastardly autoimmune illness (my second one) which has left me more physically damaged.

Do not know what, if anything I can accomplish.  But, I must try, as this is not the way I want to be.

Wishing All the Best.  {{{Hugs}}}

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor
Hi @Drythe through the years I think many times we have found ourselves in the same place. I'm in this situation not because of me but I gave of myself and lost myself. DH retired which was another huge life change. After years of trying to adjust on being home alone and finally achieving a good balance my world was put upside down.
I guess this is my way of protesting , enough of everyone's else's needs I have been drained emotionally , mentally and physically. As of know from years before my efforts are never good enough. well my friend lets embark on this journey and all we can do is our best. A little a day and we will get stronger . My thoughts are with you as well, hugs
Honored Contributor

Sort of sounds like my life.  I'd exercise faithfully for a few years, then some event occurred I'd use as an excuse to stop. Always started again even if it was a year later.

It was difficult because my muscles had atrophied, but as you say, start out slowly.  I do best working out at home, the problem with going to a gym...took too much time, had to wait for the equipment, reasons I think I stopped exercising besides hating  every minute of it. 

At home, I can watch TV and the time goes quickly.  

Trusted Contributor

@ANewHue, start out with small goals and, when you meet them, set a new small goal.  This is not a time to go from zero to 60.  Make a note of your motivation and document why you want to make the change.  Put a reminder in a spot where you will see it.

You can do this, little by little, step by step, day by day.  Work to your goal and always remember your WHY.

Trusted Contributor

@Drythe, my heart goes out to you.  I have family members who have struggled with autoimmune diseases.  They are as you said dastardly.

Somedays, I think, anything you do is an accomplishment.  Start small and try to go from there.

I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MJDinVegas 

Thank you, I really do appreciate it.

I have a mountain to climb, I won’t get to the top (back where I was) but I must go somewhere, ‘cause where I am is not where I want to be.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe   You have always been so kind and supportive of others.  I know that this is the time to be kind and loving to ourselves.  Yes, we see that intimidating mountain in front of us, taking a step each day offers us hope and encouragement.  Each morning, I  meditate and set my intentions for the day.  Every evening I review my day, what I accomplished and where I could improve.  Each decision that I make for the better or worse, it is totally my decision to move a few more feet up that mountain.  We can move forward, I'm letting go of all fear of failure.  My heart is with both of you. @ANewHue @Drythe Heart