Honored Contributor

Re: Starting antidepressants

@gidgetgh : Sending special hugs and prayers for you and DH. I have a history of drug sensitivity and issues which makes it difficult and takes longer to find something that helps and not have the druged feeling and  not able to function. You are very brave to discuss this topic and ask for help. Stay positive and surround yourself with positive and supportive people. Blessings- Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just think, the sooner you start, the sooner you’ll feel better. It won’t be an “a-ha” moment but one day you’ll realize the things that use to cause anxiety etc, aren’t affecting you as much. 

I have taken antidepressants in one form or another for 15 years and I have no horror stories. 

Respected Contributor

During an extremely difficult time in my life, my doctor prescribed therapy as well as an anti-depressant.  The two often work hand in hand.   I was helped enormously, and wished I hadn't delayed doing both for almost a year in the mistaken belief that, despite the doctor's advice, I could handle everything myself.  So my thought would be to give the medication a try and consider asking your doctor to recommend a therapist for more support as you work through your difficulties.  Be hopeful -- there is help to be had!  May God bless you, gidgetgh.

Respected Contributor

I also have problems with all kinds of medications so here's my two cents...tell someone you trust & see often that you're taking a new med & ask them to speak up if they see a change in your behavior. I wish I had done that because I didn't realize the change in me from the antidepressant I was taking. I wish you well @gidgetgh .

Trusted Contributor

I have tried probably 7 kinds of anti-depressants since my 30's,

60 now.  I had the best result from Paxil which I took lowest dose for 6 months.

All the others I've attempted to take did not work out for me...I have a reaction to them and they work complete opposite of what they need to do...not at all trying to scare you..

They just make me from the first pill.. hyper speedy feeling, pupils large, even Thyroid nodules popped out in neck. So I now stay away from them..and take Benzoprine med instead.

I know plenty of friends and family that take them, with no issues, except some weight gain sometimes....

My husband took Lexapro for about a yr after his daughter was killed...they did calm him down and helped him sleep and focus  better so he could work.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

You are a brave lady coming here as you have.  I cannot offer any first hand knowledge about antidepressants but I've known more than a few who are taking them.

Follow your doctor's directions and if you have any problems, contact the doctor ASAP.  It may take awhile, but hopefully soon you will reap the benefits.

I know your husband isn't well.  His disease is one that affects the caretaker as much as it does the patient. 

Hugs, dear friend.

Valued Contributor

When my doctor had me take a little test on her computer and it said I was extremely depressed, I knew an antidepressant was the best choice.  I took ti for 2 years and changed to another one when it didn’t seem to help as much. It made it possible for me to continue moving forward after very difficult circumstances and I am grateful for these meds.  I did not feel any different except that I did not feel overwhelmingly sad. 

I slowly weaned off  when things were easier because although I did not feel the terrible lows, I did not feel the very happy highs either.  Sort of even most of the time. If I feel like things are too difficult, I will do it again and appreciate the help the meds give me to make coping easier. 

Good luck to you and give your meds 4 weeks to really kick in. Big hugs.

Honored Contributor

I have no advice for you, but I am thinking about you. You are a dear person, and you have so much on your plate. I hope this give you some relief

Esteemed Contributor

I had never taken an antidepressant in all my 70+ years. Then my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, my daughter went through a messy divorce with her ex making scary threats, my 95+ year old mother broke her hip and her shoulder, and my younger daughter criticized me incessantly. I had had enough. My family doctor convinced me to try Zoloft. It took the edge off my anxiety. I have a lot on my emotional plate and the stressors in my life are not going away. I gave in and I am glad I did.

Honored Contributor

I wish you much luck.  I hope the medication will give you some relief from your anxiety.  I truly hope you suffer no ill effects.

Heart