Honored Contributor

Re: Started water aerobics today

In my 42 years as a practising nurse I've never ever heard a physician recommend an inversion table to anyone. 

It seems logical to me that being upside down and having blood rushing to the head - esp. in an older person could be a recipe for disaster - ie: stroke.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

In my 42 years as a practising nurse I've never ever heard a physician recommend an inversion table to anyone. 

It seems logical to me that being upside down and having blood rushing to the head - esp. in an older person could be a recipe for disaster - ie: stroke.

@151949

I tried to make your progress a friendly post, but it appears you want to tell me how much better you know my body than I do. Lived with it in it, not for 42 years, but 78 years. 

You obviously do not talk to Sports Med Doctors, which my Spinal Surgeon friend happens to be. Now he knows ALL of my medical history, not just the surgical area where he removed my L-3. He thinks me doing Inversion is great for me, and I'll take his personal knowledge of my body and physical fitness over you, and/or "those any doctors that do not recommend inversion to anyone".

Now I have been into physical fitness way longer than your 42 nursing career, and I learned more about exercises and physical fitness than most of the hundreds of nurses that have treated me during my weeks long hospital stays.  There was a reason many asked me how to improve their walking and running speeds for upcoming charitable events.

Going skating now, bye!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I currently do Jazzercize - which I love, but many of friends do water aerobics and have invited me to join them.  I may look into it.  It would be a good alternative (as I'd definitely continue Jazz).  I understand you can get a good workout.  

Thanks for posting this.

Esteemed Contributor

I've always wanted to do water aerobics, but I didn't b/c I didn't have all the time it took. Shower before, shower after, and have to shampoo and blow dry my hair. It took me 1/2 day.

I'm glad you've found such good results, @151949. I would do it now if I felt the need.

Along with it, you might want to try Miranda White's wonderful stretching exercises. She has a DVR for balance, mobility, pain and posture. I've got the Beginners one and am loving it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have always enjoyed water classes and probably will start back with them in the fall session at the YMCA.  Right now, they have summer camp and the pool, too often, is closed for the campers.

My only problem with water classes is having to shower and get changed before leaving.  It is just so messy to me.  However, I always feel great when I take them.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@febe1 I don't shower before because my class is at 8AM.I just wash my face & brush my teeth, comb my hair. Take the class , then shower & dry my hair and get dressed after class.By 9:30 AM I have already exercised , showered and I have the remainder of the day to myself.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@febe1 I don't shower before because my class is at 8AM.I just wash my face & brush my teeth, comb my hair. Take the class , then shower & dry my hair and get dressed after class.By 9:30 AM I have already exercised , showered and I have the remainder of the day to myself.

I had to do a lot more, @151949, so I didn't scare the children. That is pretty good time, though. If I were hurting, I would go again, and just twist my hair and wear a wig. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I agree.  I do the same thing for my 8:00 Jazzercize class.  Some folks style their hair and wear makeup, but I do not.  I sweat too much for either my hair or makeup to last, so what is the point?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I agree.  I do the same thing for my 8:00 Jazzercize class.  Some folks style their hair and wear makeup, but I do not.  I sweat too much for either my hair or makeup to last, so what is the point?

I never got the getting dressed up to go the gym and sweat - esp. to get in the pool, where, if your really doing the class you will be splashing around and getting wet plus sweating.To each their own but it certainly seems a waste to me.

Honored Contributor

I used to do water aerobics regularly and then stopped because the gym was sold to the local college and my new gym doesn't have a pool.  I'm pretty sure there are community classes with this class offering though at the community pools.  You may make me look it back up @151949.  You've reminded me that I miss it.