Respected Contributor

Re: Started taking Chantix today...

@beckyb1012. Thanks for sharing your story with me.  It's funny that you said you would get in line to buy a "healthy" cigarette.  Everyone I know who has stopped smoking, regardless of how long it's been, says they still miss it...but are so happy they quit.  It really is odd how it can have such power over us.  Congratulations on your success.

Esteemed Contributor

After I quit, I had dreams for 10 years where I would go to the closet and smoke, long after my conscious desire to smoke had left me. After a couple of years, I knew I would never return to smoking, and to this day it is not a longing.

My late DH always said if he was ever diagnosed with cancer, he would take up smoking again since he would be on his way out. He was diagnosed with acute leukemia at 46, but never picked up another ciggie, and he lived for four years beyond diagnosis.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack. I'm so sorry for the loss of your DH...he was so young.  

When we are traveling by plane, my DH always says if the plane starts going down, he's lighting up Smiley Happy  

Respected Contributor

Day 7 on Chantix...Day 2 as a Non-Smoker Smiley Happy  I have had no desire to smoke today.  I don't even think about it.  DH has had a harder time today, but has not smoked.  If I continue to feel like have felt today,  I think I've got this Smiley Happy  I still think Chantix is a miracle drug for those of us who don't experience the bad side effects.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trudey - I'm so happy to hear of your success! Part of the trick, or so I've read, is the minute you put out that last cigarette tell yourself, proudly, that you are a NONSMOKER and will never go back. You can't even have one, ever again. That's how addiction works. 

If you congratulate youself from escaping from a paid assassin (which cigs are) instead of dwelling on what you're missing, and stay in that mindset, it's a lot easier. Remember you did not give up something desireable, you gave up something that is not gratifying (it never really was) but has chained you to bad habits and bad health. I'm quitting tomorrow, a day before I go into the hospital and will be required to stop. Congratulations on your success... one day at a time!

Respected Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

Day 7 on Chantix...Day 2 as a Non-Smoker Smiley Happy  I have had no desire to smoke today.  I don't even think about it.  DH has had a harder time today, but has not smoked.  If I continue to feel like have felt today,  I think I've got this Smiley Happy  I still think Chantix is a miracle drug for those of us who don't experience the bad side effects.

@Trudey That's so awesome!! So proud of you. 

Respected Contributor

@Frankie_Dee wrote:

Trudey - I'm so happy to hear of your success! Part of the trick, or so I've read, is the minute you put out that last cigarette tell yourself, proudly, that you are a NONSMOKER and will never go back. You can't even have one, ever again. That's how addiction works. 

If you congratulate youself from escaping from a paid assassin (which cigs are) instead of dwelling on what you're missing, and stay in that mindset, it's a lot easier. Remember you did not give up something desireable, you gave up something that is not gratifying (it never really was) but has chained you to bad habits and bad health. I'm quitting tomorrow, a day before I go into the hospital and will be required to stop. Congratulations on your success... one day at a time!

@Frankie_Dee. Thanks for the motivating words.  I hope everything goes well for you in the hospital.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Respected Contributor

Day 3 as a non-smoker Smiley Happy  DH and I are doing great!  I'm so proud of us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can't wait for you to post what you're choosing for your first reward "toy".

BEST WISHES- we're PROUD of you!!!!!!!!!👏🏻

Honored Contributor