Valued Contributor

Re: Started radiation treatment

When I went to my first radiation treatment, I commented to a tech that this treatment schedule will be so long.  She said, it will go fast.  At the time, I didn't believe her, but in hindsight, it wasn't that long.  The treatments became part of my new routine and although I moved on after the treatment period, I missed the kindness of the techs and the relationships we had.  Kindness was the most beautiful experience during this part of my journey. I hope you @hyacinth003  experience the same kindness Heart

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003    I am sorry you are facing this health issue.  Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 Seven years ago,I had 5 months of chemo to shrink huge tumor folllowed by surgery for Triple Negative aggressive cancer in Left breast. 

Thankfully,I had no evidence of disease after surgery and no lymph node involvement  so I could have opted out of radiation. But, I didn't want to ever to be in the position to say,"I should have" especially since TN  is known to reoccur within 3 years.

I had 28 rounds of radiation. The hospital accommodated my teaching schedule and 40  minute drive, as I was their last patient and sometimes, hit traffic!

The radiation was not painful or uncomfortable. I would put aquaphor on after and an oversized t-shirt.

I did get very red and had to take off one Friday. Also, was very itchy. I would clasp my hands  so I wouldn't scratch!

I taught school through the whole experience. Wasn't easy but you can do it! 
Cross off the days on your calendar! And then, done!

Wishing you a good outcome

Honored Contributor

Praying that you have a complete recovery.

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I had the first of 30 radiation treatments for breast cancer today.  I have had one complete cycle of chemo, surgery (lumpectomy and lymph node removal), and am on a second round of 14 immunotherapy/chemotherapy (Kadcycla).  I guess I will go on a hormone blocker (HER2+) after the radiation.

Can anyone say how it went for them?  The radiologist said she likes patients who had chemo first!  She said they were not much bothered by radiation!  Having to go every day is a pain, and trying to fit in the chemo will be a challenge for a bit.

I am more than ready to complete treatment after so long of not feeling well!

Hyacinth

I had a lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation in 2015-16.  The only problem I had with radiation was the "sunburn" on the radiated area after about 3 weeks.  I faithfully used Aquafor ointment and it healed quickly once the radiation ended.  I was lucky to not have had any other side effects.  I did not need chemo but went on Tamoxifen for 5years, again no problems.  Good luck to you!

Contributor

I just finished proton radiation in January. I had regular radiation last year . Colon cancer which metastasized into my lung. Had chemo with the colon cancer but didn't do well with the chemo. Opted for radiation with the lung cancer. Had a CAT scan in April but there was so much inflammation, the radiologist couldn't tell if the tumor shrunk. Just had another CAT scan this July but from what I see on the report it seems to have grown. I have a telecall with the radiologist next week. Hopefully my oncologist will have a treatment plan for me. Good luck with your radiation. I had no problem except tiredness. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kathy213 wrote:

I just finished proton radiation in January. I had regular radiation last year . Colon cancer which metastasized into my lung. Had chemo with the colon cancer but didn't do well with the chemo. Opted for radiation with the lung cancer. Had a CAT scan in April but there was so much inflammation, the radiologist couldn't tell if the tumor shrunk. Just had another CAT scan this July but from what I see on the report it seems to have grown. I have a telecall with the radiologist next week. Hopefully my oncologist will have a treatment plan for me. Good luck with your radiation. I had no problem except tiredness. 

I will be praying for you. It is a tough road and be positive. Wishing you the best.

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003   I wish you the very best.  I heard radiation can be very painful.   Here's wishing you a full recovery

Honored Contributor

So many brave women here!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@kathy213, I am praying for you with hope that you can receive healing treatment. You have braved such an ordeal. Keep strong and God bless you. ♥️