Frequent Contributor

Stamina Pilates Reformer 556

Does anyone have experience with the 556? Comparison with the original 5 cord - the one that was the TSV about 4 years ago? Thinking about upgrading to the 556 but sure would like opinions before I spend that much $$$ ! TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Stamina Pilates Reformer 556

There's 50 5-star reviews on the Q and 33 5-star reviews on Amazon.

You can get a LOT of info from experienced users on both websites. 8)

Frequent Contributor

yes, ty, I have read those....as reviews go, I'm sure most are accurate...looking for an opinion from someone on the Q boards.

Contributor

I have this model. I ordered thru Amazon and got the one that came with the box and pole for $899. This saved me $45 s/h, $54 tax and $129 for the box and pole. It is a really nice piece of equipment and the closest I will ever be able to come to the professional reformers that must cost thousands of dollars. My sister and I (mostly my sister) put it together and it didn't take very long. It is very sturdy and very nice looking. It comes with a rebounder and head pillow (I'm sure this is called something else). It has a foot strap like the professional models. It is larger than the reformers QVC generally sells so make sure you have the room for it. I have mine in what originally was a small dining room. I have a large couch, the reformer and a concept 2 rowing machine in the room with a little walk-around between each. The 556 has 4 cords of equal weight, 16 pounds each I think. I go to a Pilates studio once ot twice a week and the 556 comes much closer to the feel of a professional reformer than my old 3 cord ever could. Check out all the Amazon reviews. If you have a place to put it, I think you will love it.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Sunbeam, I have the older Aero Pilates model, but I tried this Stamina machine at a friend's house quite recently. Like the other poster, she bought from amazon and got a much better deal than buying from Q. And, like the other poster, she and I both think the Stamina is much closer to the feel and structure of a professional reformer than the Aero.

That said, after playing on her machine and then trying out the new model of Total Gym ("Fit" model), I realized that I could spend about $100 more and get the Total Gym upon which I could do all of my Pilates exercises plus way, way more. So, I purchased the Total Gym (direct from them for 50% off discount) and am thrilled that I did.