Honored Contributor

Re: Stage 4 colon cancer

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Shelbelle 

A bit lacking in empathy, and kindness.

OP & brother are aware of the recommendation for colonoscopies.

Why bring it up?

I brought it up as a forum here to help raise awareness, why else?? If anyone here who sees this post and has not gone for this important test, it will serve as a reminder. i feel terrible about this diagnosis, which is why the need to raise awareness to be properly tested. Not saying this man was not, just saying how important it is to do preventative measures that could help to save a life. I cant fathom why anyone would take offense to that.  And we dont know for sure that everyone here is aware of this, how can you be sure of that??

Trusted Contributor

@marip  So very sorry. My husband lost his brother to colon cancer. I am afraid once it has invaded other organs, especially the liver, it is very advanced and the prognosis is very grim. Talk with the oncologist, get a second opinion if needed but the scans he has already had tell the  story. Prayers for you and your family.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Shelbelle 

Why bring it up?

I brought it up as a forum here to help raise awareness, why else?? If anyone here who sees this post and has not gone for this important test, it will serve as a reminder. i feel terrible about this diagnosis, which is why the need to raise awareness to be properly tested. Not saying this man was not, just saying how important it is to do preventative measures that could help to save a life. I cant fathom why anyone would take offense to that.  And we dont know for sure that everyone here is aware of this, how can you be sure of that??

You did specifically ask if her brother had regular colonoscopies, implying that maybe he didn't, and should have becasue it is important.  This thread is about someone who already has been diagnosed.   

As a former cancer patient, that would be the last thing I would want someone to ask me, "did you have regular mammograms?)(which I did).  I endured some thoughtless comments that did not help my overwhelming devastation of this disease.

Just trying to raise awareness about comments that may be well meaning, but not helpful or comforting to someone who already has cancer.  

Regular Contributor

recently read an article regarding "alternative treatments for cancer.  They are 100% ineffective so I would never recommend them to anyone.  Most have no scientific basis whatsoever and many are also moneymakers for scam artists.  The patient should make an informed choice regarding conventional treatments including outcomes and side effects.  

Regular Contributor

Retired nurse here.  There are many changes in the treatments of cancers.  For instance there are at least 4 types of breast cancer and each type has different treatments.  I am not familiar with different types of colon cancer but I do recomment researching the best cancer treatment hospitals in the country and consulting there if at all possible.  One thing I learned as a nurse is that outcomes are very much dependent on where and by whom you are treated no matter the medical condition.  

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Shelbelle 

Why bring it up?

@Shelbelle 

You DID specifically ask if HE had been tested in your 1st post, and followed it up in your 2nd.

The topic has been discussed over and over here, as you no doubt  know.  No need for you to be Paul Revere with the message at this time. There is a time for empathy and a time for education.  Sounds like a gotcha moment.  I feel your timing was inappropriate.

Do not twist MY words, nowhere did I say, or imply that everyone is aware.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Cancer is a nasty sneaky disease. Non smokers get lung cancer.  It is evil ,and you can be tested often, and it still doesn't mean you won't be stricken with it

@marip  needs our support at this time..she has a terrible road  to travel with her brother..

Super Contributor

So sorry to hear of this!  My sister-in-law had the same diagnosis and it had spread to her liver.  In her case, she made the decision of not having chemo as it was only going to give her a short time more.  She decided to will her body to science and that was most important to her.  RIP my sweet CJ.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OP, to answer your question, yes, according to Medscape Practce Essentials for colon cancer, it is considered the current standard practice.

“Metastatic colorectal cancer

Chemotherapy rather than surgery has been the standard management for patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. The proper use of elective colon/rectal resections in nonobstructed patients with stage IV disease is a source of continuing debate.”

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here’s the title to find practice essentials for colon cancer, including metastatic colon cancer. I can’t give a link. Just select the whole title, then choose “Look Up” on the little black pop up you see and then you can go directly from there to Medscape. This page will be there as well as all current medical practices.

Colon Cancer Treatment & Management