Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Spironolactone, anyone taking it?

I took it for PCOS and never had any kind of adverse side effects. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

I take half of one pill but not all the time as I'm not a good pill taker. 

The cardiologist prescribes it for me for my Congestive Heart Failure. 

Haven't noticed any problem with my hair. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH got it as one of 3 new meds from his cardiologist this month.  After taking it a few days, he developed congestive heart failure.  Doctor said it was not the RX ( a diuretic ) but the coincidental start of another heart condition...A-Fib.

He will have cardiac catherization on 12/26.  He is no longer taking Spironolactione: on a strong dose of Lasix.

Update 12/28:  The catherization showed no blockages.  Next test 12/31 to see if there is a blood clot behind the atrium before they shock the heart into a normal rhythm for subsequent valve surgery.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I just started taking it, have you noticed that it does't cause you to have an urgent urination ?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a very old drug, which is good. Been studied & side effects are known. It's often used to treat hormonal acne. It's a wonderful drug.

Fyi...................Wikipedia for details.

Frequent Contributor

I have PCOS also and I know this is supposed to help with the excess androgens but since I’m already struggling with hair issues (I’ve lost probably half my head of hair in a year and a half) I’m kind of careful with what I still have on my head. And I know it may not even be the medication that’s doing it, I just thought if anyone else who’d taken it had the same issue that’d help me to understand what’s going on. As I said earlier, it’s not listed as a side effect and nowhere online can I find anyone who’s had this issue. Just wanted to hear from actual people is all.
@BeccaLou- I haven’t noticed that I need to urinate more. I know it’s supposed to do that..? Hasn’t been an issue. It does make me pretty nauseated though, have you had that issue?
Honored Contributor

I know people taking it to control adult acne.

Respected Contributor

No it hasn't bothered me being nauseated. And it just doesn't seem like a diaretic, but I feel safe to take it if I have to leave the house.I mentioned it to the Dr. but didn't really get an aswer but I know that it doesn't wash out your Potassium. And that's good. But I read that it does other things for your heart and protects your kidney's. So that's good news.

Honored Contributor

You should Google it.  It comes with a slew of side effects and complications.  It's an old drug but I remember my mom took it for hypertension many years ago.  Her doctor took her off of it because she experienced hair loss.  

Respected Contributor

Crystaltree:

"You should Google it.  It comes with a slew of side effects and complications.  It's an old drug but I remember my mom took it for hypertension many years ago.  Her doctor took her off of it because she experienced hair loss".

It's just the opposite. It promotes hair growth.

It's normally used to treat swelling, high blood pressure, and potassium deficiency. But because Aldactone acts as an anti-androgen, it can help when women are experiencing hair loss due to higher levels of androgens. ... But it can help the thinning hairs become thicker and fuller.