Frequent Contributor

Spironolactone, anyone taking it?

My doctor recently put me on Spironolactone. It’s been a couple of weeks now and I’m noticing my hair is feeling really dry and straw-like. And I just had a couple inches cut off recently. I’ve googled this to see if anything comes up but it doesn’t seem to be a complaint with anyone else. So I’m wondering if anyone here has taken Spironolactone and can tell me if they’ve had the same issue?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Spironolactone, anyone taking it?

I took it for a short while and the Dr. took me off of it.  I believe it messed up my immune system.  Developed inflammation while taking.  It is one of those medications which is used for various conditions one of which is hirsutism-excess hair.  It could be effecting the condition of your hair.  Talk to your Dr.

Frequent Contributor

My doctor already said she’s not heard of it affecting hair other than to help some with hair loss. That’s why I thought I’d ask people who’ve actually taken it.
Honored Contributor

My DD takes it for PCOS--has for  many years--don't know how it affects her, as far as side effects,  but her hair is lovely and full. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nugbucker  Call your pharmacist.  They are the ones who know drugs and their side effects inside and out and that's actually who your doctor will call if you press them on it.  

ETA:  FYI, this type of drug blocks testosterone in your body (yes girls have it too) which is why it should increase your hair if you are losing it due your hormones being out of whack.  

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you. 

Honored Contributor

Several people just took a few moments of their day to try and help you @Nugbucker and  maybe give you a resource to get an answer.  The correct response here and always whether it was helpful to you or not is "thank you."  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Nugbucker

Not me! Have no idea what it is, or why I would be taking it.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

It's a diuretic for high blood pressure or heart disease patients. 

No need for you to take it because, just by reading your posts all the time, there is nothing wrong with your heart @hckynut.  Big as ever!  Heart

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Laura14 for your nice post. =^..^=     Now if only that bottom part of heart was still functioning after taking a beating from those danged 2 heart attacks!

hckynut

hckynut(john)