Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speaking of looking good at age 70...

Susan Lucci, on QVC today with the Pilates chair, looks pretty darn good.  Not sure if she is 70 yet or not, maybe late 60's, but she looks darn good whatever her age.  She takes excellent care of herself and it shows.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@febe1 

"Women are giving up at 70 when it's the time more attention to oneself is needed more than ever. It's easy to look good when you're young; it takes time and much effort in your 70's."

Even though I'm not in my 70s, I'm not "giving up" and I can only speak for myself, but I don't have the time or (more importantly) interest in focusing more attention on my looks. I'm not "giving up". I'm letting the youthful obsession with looks fade as I put my attention and efforts into more important things to me. THAT'S the beauty of aging. I still love my jewelery, clothes, etc. (I am and always will be the essential me), but I don't obsess over my looks. There's so much more to me.
Personally, I resent when anyone calls women out for "giving up" because they don't place their looks first or they do feel comfortable where they are in life.

I admire so many older women for their accomplishments and attitudes. I'm not defined by a 1950s male-oriented construct of what a woman should be.

Regular Contributor

@LinaL wrote:

I'm letting the youthful obsession with looks fade as I put my attention and efforts into more important things to me. THAT'S the beauty of aging... There's so much more to me.
...I admire so many older women for their accomplishments and attitudes. I'm not defined by a 1950s male-oriented construct of what a woman should be.

@LinaL Beautifully said. 

Esteemed Contributor

@LinaL wrote:

@febe1 

"Women are giving up at 70 when it's the time more attention to oneself is needed more than ever. It's easy to look good when you're young; it takes time and much effort in your 70's."

Even though I'm not in my 70s, I'm not "giving up" and I can only speak for myself, but I don't have the time or (more importantly) interest in focusing more attention on my looks. I'm not "giving up". I'm letting the youthful obsession with looks fade as I put my attention and efforts into more important things to me. THAT'S the beauty of aging. I still love my jewelery, clothes, etc. (I am and always will be the essential me), but I don't obsess over my looks. There's so much more to me.
Personally, I resent when anyone calls women out for "giving up" because they don't place their looks first or they do feel comfortable where they are in life.

I admire so many older women for their accomplishments and attitudes. I'm not defined by a 1950s male-oriented construct of what a woman should be.

My suggestion, @LinaL, is only meant to not do less than you did when you were young. If you did nothing then, well...do nothing.