Valued Contributor

Re: Sore Throat For Over Five Weeks

It's "Ragweed Season" in my area, and I've been feeling yucky for a couple of weeks now - The sore throat started last night...

I sucked on a Halls Intense Cool cough drop (twice) this morning, and I feel a whole lot better.

Honored Contributor

@granddi @You're not wrong and I'm not disagreeing with you.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack - I hope you find answers quickly, so you can be treated and healed.  I hope an ENT is available for you to see very soon.

I have never had a canker sore, nor have I had a sore throat for that long of a time.  At the first sign of a sore throat, my go-to is coconut milk by So Delicious.  It reduces sudden onset inflammation and soreness quickly-- at least it does for me. Praying that whatever you have has a swift and easy resolution, and that you are happy and well again soon. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Do you maybe have airborne allergies?

I do and My season started about 4 weeks ago.  Left untreated they dry my throat badly, making it sore, and the constant drip, drip, drip, can do the same, and cause soreness 

Have you been tested for sleep apnea?  I know that can dry your throat , and cause subsequent problems.

Best Wishes.  I hope you find the answer SOON!

💋Henry  💋Ava  🤗 You

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I am suffering with a bad sore throat right now, so I have sympathy for you!  I hope you can get cured of this soon!  I have been so miserable with this for 5 days.  Good luk!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack 

Do you maybe have airborne allergies?

I do and My season started about 4 weeks ago.  Left untreated they dry my throat badly, making it sore, and the constant drip, drip, drip, can do the same, and cause soreness 

Have you been tested for sleep apnea?  I know that can dry your throat , and cause subsequent problems.

Best Wishes.  I hope you find the answer SOON!

💋Henry  💋Ava  🤗 You

@Drythe   I have been tested for allergies years ago and don't have them.  I have non-allergic rhinitis.  I don't think this is a reaction to anything airborne.  It just doesn't feel like my reactions to things usually are.  My throat is so red.  This seems different.  Thank you for caring.

I would be very surprised if I had sleep apnea.  I'm not overweight, and no one has ever told me that I snore or stop breathing.  I went out of town with my sister this summer and slept in the same hotel room.  She didn't say anything.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

In my early 30's, I carried a strep infection for 6 weeks; my throat was a mess when I was sent to an ENT, as I was developing an abscess.  

The first thing learned was that I was reinfecting myself thru my tube of toothpaste.  

My infection had also gone into my pharynx, so I vaguely remember a stronger antibiotic, a guaifenecin cough syrup and some other oral drug, which finally took care of the strep infection.    

My throat was still a mess for awhile, due to yeast and such a lengthy infection, including a suspected viral infection.  At one point the ENT started talking about me needing to have my tonsils out.   Well, they were taken out when I was 19, so there wasn't supposed to be any tonsils in there! He thought I had some regrowth, but once all the swelling and inflammation was gone, tonsils were never mentioned again.  It took about 6 months for me to get back to normal.

Honored Contributor

That sounds like a long awful ordeal @RedTop .  I'm sorry you went through that for so long.  Just by coincidence I did change my toothbrush the other day.  Maybe that will help.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

When I was in my 40s I had a sore throat and felt tired sometimes but not always. I didn't feel right and it felt like I was feverish at times. I had a strep test and it was negative so I wasn't prescribed anything for my sore throat. 

Over a month later I still had the sore throat so I went back to the doctor and asked to be checked for mono. That was it! I had mono and it lasted for almost three months. There's no treatment for it and it just has to run it's course unfortunately. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack   A dog can harbor strept in their mouth.  They can spread it to humans.  Just a thought.......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!