Honored Contributor

Re: Sore Throat For Over Five Weeks

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I was in my 40s I had a sore throat and felt tired sometimes but not always. I didn't feel right and it felt like I was feverish at times. I had a strep test and it was negative so I wasn't prescribed anything for my sore throat. 

Over a month later I still had the sore throat so I went back to the doctor and asked to be checked for mono. That was it! I had mono and it lasted for almost three months. There's no treatment for it and it just has to run it's course unfortunately. 

@SilleeMee   I had wondered if it might be mono.  I had it once, though.  I was in Junior High.  You don't usually have it more than once, but rarely some people do.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

@NickNack   A dog can harbor strept in their mouth.  They can spread it to humans.  Just a thought.......

@tends2dogs   That's interesting.  Would the dog be sick, too?  I'll have to Google that.  I have a cat, too.

Edited to say:  My strep test was negative, although I guess it could have been wrong.  Usually strep goes away on its own within ten days according to my Googling.  I did take an antibiotic.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Another possible infection could be with CMV. @NickNack 

Those can happen more than once.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  No the dog does not have symptoms.  I learned this 35 years ago when our daughter had strept every year.  

Do your lymphs hurt?  Behind your ears? It could be viral. Or like Silleeme said, mono or Epstein Barr.  It could be candida.  I am anxious to learn what this is, but not as much as you, I'm sure.  Sorry for what you are going through.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Another possible infection could be with CMV. @NickNack 

Those can happen more than once.

@SilleeMee   I had to Google that one!  I'd never heard of it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs   My lymph nodes don't hurt, but they are swollen--moreso on one side.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack- Could be a fungal infection.  The ENT will be able to give you a definitive answer.  Best wishes and here's to good health.

Honored Contributor

I was able to get an appointment with the ENT for this Friday moring.  I am so glad to be able to get it this quickly.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  If your lymph nodes are swollen, it is your body's way of trying to fight something off.  I am glad you got in as soon as you did!  All the best.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@NickNack Yay! Glad you got such a quick appointment. Please update us if you feel like it. All the best to you.