Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@tarsmom ..I turned 65 this year....I have not noticed much different in how I feel, or what I do.  I only work 3x a week now but I take care of most everything at home except for mowing the lawn and blowing the snow in the winter....today after my walk, I raked the yard and put things away for the winter.

I do struggle with keeping busy and feeling that I need to be constructive every day, I am trying to let go of that notion.

I try to walk at least 3-4 days a week, and I am a talk radio girl so I put the ear plugs in my ears and head out around noonish and walk for about a hour.  Winter is worse, I am not walking when it's really cold and icy outside.  I have a bike that I use in the winter as well as a rebounder.

To answer your question, I just try to stay busy doing the things I have always done and not beat myself up if I don't walk or exercise for days on end.  I am not a routine person, so having a schedule would not work for me. Enjoy your retirement....I am not totally ready for retirement.

I would have stayed working PT if I could have done it at a reduced schedule.  But banking isn't really like that.  Once some of this virus clears, I plan on volunteering.  Not seeing people is a bit of a shock to my system.  Hubby is fine with it but I am more of a people person than he is Smiley Happy    We'll figure it out somehow.  Thanks for your comments!

Esteemed Contributor

@tarsmom :  I'm nearly 77, and although I'm in terrific shape for my age, the suggestion I'm offering is too much of a commitment for a person my age, several friends and relatives in their 40s and 50s swear by Peleton (about $2500 for bike plus a monthly fee).  If you are the kind of person that uses a gym membership, this actually works!  There are numerous cycling classes plus they have dance classes etc ( just the way to exercise safely during these unusual times).  One friend, a recent widow in her mid fifties , loves it and has already lost thirty pounds!

Valued Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@tarsmom :  I'm nearly 77, and although I'm in terrific shape for my age, the suggestion I'm offering is too much of a commitment for a person my age, several friends and relatives in their 40s and 50s swear by Peleton (about $2500 for bike plus a monthly fee).  If you are the kind of person that uses a gym membership, this actually works!  There are numerous cycling classes plus they have dance classes etc ( just the way to exercise safely during these unusual times).  One friend, a recent widow in her mid fifties , loves it and has already lost thirty pounds!

@patbz   I watch Fox "the Five" and Greg G swears by his Pelaton Smiley Happy  

I do have a really nice treadmill so I don't have a single excuse.  What I need to do is have some consistency and also start to incorporate some strength training/upper body strength.  I really feel for my former coworkers who have to sit 9 hours a day and pound away on their computers - unfortunately that's what offices look like today and everyone is terribly out of shape (unless they go to the gym prior to work!).

Trusted Contributor

Re: Soon to be 65!

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom wrote:

Hi all,

Recently retired last January - then Covid; still getting used to not getting up at 6 and getting home at 6:30 pm.

I have been trying to walk a few times a week, a mile here and there, sometimes more.  

How do all of you take care of your health now that you're no longer working?  I have to be honest, most of my friends and family are not in the best shape, have handicapped stickers on their cars, can't squat down (I used to do this when I was working a LOT), complain a lot about aches and pains, etc.

One area I am noticing is weaker ankles, especially when I first get up in the a.m.  I have always been a bit hyper and the type that walks kind of fast and have found...hmmmm....I better watch it so I don't trip and fall.

So please let me know - what do you do to ensure you stay active?  Do you have a daily routine or is it hit or miss?  Like I mentioned, my friends and family are not in good shape so I can't really ask them Smiley Happy

Thanks!

hot yoga, Tai Chi, and meditation.🙏

59679C32-2326-4045-8FF3-C4C81DCD0107.jpeg  79D0DE98-814B-4F0A-B94A-5EA2CCD77C08.jpegAB844CD9-D762-42E5-A557-4BF259FE052E.gif

~Life is short. Enjoy everyday as if it is your last day on earth. You could die tomorrow.~

Super Contributor

Weight training,  stretching, cardio exercise, walking even indoors to walking exercises, if you sit alot, be sure and stand and walk around every hour or half hour. Eat healthy clean foods. Woman Happy