Respected Contributor

To ensure you remain active, your health plan needs the same dedication you gave to your 12 hr/day work schedule.  Once the demanding work treadmill stops, we can find far too many excuses for hitting the recliner, or indulging in unhealthy foods. Slowly, but surely, health declines. 

We tell ourselves we deserve it, after hitting the grindstone for decades. But, if we care about ourselves, we should always put optimal health practices first.  

For success, you have to set realistic goals, considering your health status. Then it takes some pushing ourselves to set up a pattern that becomes -- health habitual. Something we really miss if we skip our routine. 

I'm late to put in my 3 miles this morning. It's something I really miss if I skip a single day.  In the evening while catching up with TV, I do some weights and resistance exercises, at least 3 x's per week.  With a good diet, it's a great plan for me.   

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom I always worked out with body blades and dumbbells, exercise banded bars (and actually like doing it) at least an hour before work daily but when I retired I started working out 2 hours including Zumba daily - no matter what.  I also walk after my workouts with my dog for 3-5 miles daily unless raining or snowing.   I am an early riser (always up by 4:00).  I will workout later if there is somewhere I need to go earlier.  It would be so easy to start to slack off when I am achy or stiff but then before too long there will be a permanent decline in mobility.  I have had to make adjustments over the years modifying squats and not doing many floor exercises but I am now in better physical shape and more muscular than when younger.  

Honored Contributor

Congrats on your upcoming birthday!  

YouTube can be a great friend with lots of different at home workouts. 

I follow Yoga with Adriene who puts out a calendar you can follow with a routine every day that's usually around 20-30 minutes. I have found yoga immensely helpful in strength.  So much so I stopped my weightlifting class.  It''s completely free.

There are also dance workouts, HIIT workouts, PopSugar I think has any kind of fitness routine you may want to try to see what you like.

Valued Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Congrats on your upcoming birthday!  

YouTube can be a great friend with lots of different at home workouts. 

I follow Yoga with Adriene who puts out a calendar you can follow with a routine every day that's usually around 20-30 minutes. I have found yoga immensely helpful in strength.  So much so I stopped my weightlifting class.  It''s completely free.

There are also dance workouts, HIIT workouts, PopSugar I think has any kind of fitness routine you may want to try to see what you like.

Thank you !  I was looking into Planet Fitness (one is nearby) but I already have an expensive treadmill (good for bad weather).  The YouTube would be great - thank you!

Respected Contributor

You Tube has been a good friend since Covid and my dvd player dying (I used to do more dvd workouts).  Check out HASfit workouts and Leslie Sansone has tons of workouts there as well.  Of course, if the weather permits, you can't beat getting outside and going for a nice long, brisk walk in nature!

Honored Contributor

Re: Soon to be 65!

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom wrote:

Hi all,

Recently retired last January - then Covid; still getting used to not getting up at 6 and getting home at 6:30 pm.

I have been trying to walk a few times a week, a mile here and there, sometimes more.  

How do all of you take care of your health now that you're no longer working?  I have to be honest, most of my friends and family are not in the best shape, have handicapped stickers on their cars, can't squat down (I used to do this when I was working a LOT), complain a lot about aches and pains, etc.

One area I am noticing is weaker ankles, especially when I first get up in the a.m.  I have always been a bit hyper and the type that walks kind of fast and have found...hmmmm....I better watch it so I don't trip and fall.

So please let me know - what do you do to ensure you stay active?  Do you have a daily routine or is it hit or miss?  Like I mentioned, my friends and family are not in good shape so I can't really ask them Smiley Happy

Thanks!

@tarsmom    I will be 65 in October and have been retired since 2013. I am not obsessive about exercise... try to walk daily with the dog...do my own yard work... I do stretches and strength training in my basement.  Honestly, I have no pain or aches. I feel really good.  I am on no prescription meds and take a lot of natural supplements.

I did have both knees and both hips replaced about 7 years ago. That really changed my life for the better. I had early on set osteoarthritis starting  at age 30.  I do sit too much watching TV and being on the Internet....  but try to offset that with moving about doing things the rest of the day.  I eat a very clean diet... and I think that also contributes to feeling good.

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom 

What has always worked best for me is to 1st set a goal for yourself. Decide the time frame you want to spend doing these things daily, or at least on any alternate day schedule.

What you decide to do, there are many things from what to choose. Movement that raises the resting heart rate will help the most for cardio fitness. Always good to make sure your doctor says your body is ok to do them.

For me a regular schedule is imperative or things can easily fall apart. I have always set goals long before my retirement 19 years ago. 

Happy retirement!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@hckynut 

Thank you, John!  I had such a hectic schedule for so long caring for elderly parents, a sick hubby here and there (many trips to the ER), and being 'the boss' at work.  

I told myself this year I will ease into exercise.  I am no longer anxious like I was, getting the right food and sleep.  Each day I know I need to set a goal or the day will just get away from me (and my husband!).  

I am finding that I like to lie down in the afternoon to rest but that's when I usually have already walked my 1.5 miles or ran some errands.  

I will definitely take your advice and "do something constructive" each day!

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tarsmom wrote:

Hi all,

Recently retired last January - then Covid; still getting used to not getting up at 6 and getting home at 6:30 pm.

I have been trying to walk a few times a week, a mile here and there, sometimes more.  

How do all of you take care of your health now that you're no longer working?  I have to be honest, most of my friends and family are not in the best shape, have handicapped stickers on their cars, can't squat down (I used to do this when I was working a LOT), complain a lot about aches and pains, etc.

One area I am noticing is weaker ankles, especially when I first get up in the a.m.  I have always been a bit hyper and the type that walks kind of fast and have found...hmmmm....I better watch it so I don't trip and fall.

So please let me know - what do you do to ensure you stay active?  Do you have a daily routine or is it hit or miss?  Like I mentioned, my friends and family are not in good shape so I can't really ask them Smiley Happy

Thanks!

@tarsmom    I will be 65 in October and have been retired since 2013. I am not obsessive about exercise... try to walk daily with the dog...do my own yard work... I do stretches and strength training in my basement.  Honestly, I have no pain or aches. I feel really good.  I am on no prescription meds and take a lot of natural supplements.

I did have both knees and both hips replaced about 7 years ago. That really changed my life for the better. I had early on set osteoarthritis starting  at age 30.  I do sit too much watching TV and being on the Internet....  but try to offset that with moving about doing things the rest of the day.  I eat a very clean diet... and I think that also contributes to feeling good.

@SeaMaiden  

thank you!  You are doing great!  My ankles feel weak and I know I have some arthritis - the rest of me feels pretty good!  I do have high BP that is controlled with meds.  I am surrounded by people who are in terrible shape so I use that to motivate myself.  I honestly could just relax on the couch but I know I need to move!

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom ..I turned 65 this year....I have not noticed much different in how I feel, or what I do.  I only work 3x a week now but I take care of most everything at home except for mowing the lawn and blowing the snow in the winter....today after my walk, I raked the yard and put things away for the winter.

I do struggle with keeping busy and feeling that I need to be constructive every day, I am trying to let go of that notion.

I try to walk at least 3-4 days a week, and I am a talk radio girl so I put the ear plugs in my ears and head out around noonish and walk for about a hour.  Winter is worse, I am not walking when it's really cold and icy outside.  I have a bike that I use in the winter as well as a rebounder.

To answer your question, I just try to stay busy doing the things I have always done and not beat myself up if I don't walk or exercise for days on end.  I am not a routine person, so having a schedule would not work for me. Enjoy your retirement....I am not totally ready for retirement.