Valued Contributor

Hi all,

Recently retired last January - then Covid; still getting used to not getting up at 6 and getting home at 6:30 pm.

I have been trying to walk a few times a week, a mile here and there, sometimes more.  

How do all of you take care of your health now that you're no longer working?  I have to be honest, most of my friends and family are not in the best shape, have handicapped stickers on their cars, can't squat down (I used to do this when I was working a LOT), complain a lot about aches and pains, etc.

One area I am noticing is weaker ankles, especially when I first get up in the a.m.  I have always been a bit hyper and the type that walks kind of fast and have found...hmmmm....I better watch it so I don't trip and fall.

So please let me know - what do you do to ensure you stay active?  Do you have a daily routine or is it hit or miss?  Like I mentioned, my friends and family are not in good shape so I can't really ask them Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Soon to be 65!

[ Edited ]

I strength train 3 days a week with my personal trainer. Pre-Covid, I also did an advanced water exercise class twice a week. The pool has just re-opened, but no group classes yet, so I just reserve a lap lane for a hour, 2 days a week and do my own thing. I also bike, hike and play a lot of golf. When the weather is condusive, I walk the course with a speed cart rather than ride. 

If it's available in your area and you feel comfortable, I suggest that you book a few sessions with a certified personal trainer to get you started on a fitness plan that's appropriate for you. If you have any health issues or concerns, speak with your physician first. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

I did a lot of reading about nutrition.  I cleaned up my diet and learned to portion control.  I strive to not eat processed foods.  I eat high fiber, lower fat, and lower sodium.

I walk several miles, with hills, briskly, 5 or 6 times per week.  My doctor also recommended some strength training too, but I have not yet done it.

I try to get at least 6 - 7 hours of sleep at night.  But I do have sleep issues so this is not always possible for me.  But I just keep trying.......

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

I will be 65 in October and I was doing water aerobics 3 times a week before COVID. That stopped for now but we bought a rowing machine and I use it 20-30 minutes 3 times a week. When it gets cooler I can start walking. I don't have a handicapped plate, I get around just fine. I don't get on the floor any more often than I have to but I think I do just fine. It seems that once you hit 65 people think your ready for the old folks home. 

Valued Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I did a lot of reading about nutrition.  I cleaned up my diet and learned to portion control.  I strive to not eat processed foods.  I eat high fiber, lower fat, and lower sodium.

I walk several miles, with hills, briskly, 5 or 6 times per week.  My doctor also recommended some strength training too, but I have not yet done it.

I try to get at least 6 - 7 hours of sleep at night.  But I do have sleep issues so this is not always possible for me.  But I just keep trying.......

@4kitties   thank you!

I do work at eating right 95% of the time and since I've retired, a lot of my neck pain and headaches have disappeared (I now sleep about 9 hours a night which has made a huge difference).  Kudos to you for your walking!  I need to be sure to incorporate it into my daily routine!

Valued Contributor

I am retired and am lucky to have a dog that forces me to walk everyday.   If you don't have some kind of schedule that you feel obligated to adhere to, you will end up not doing it more often than not.  There are also classes/exercises that help with balance such as Tae Chi (may be misspelled)    There my be local senior classes that you could try.

Valued Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I will be 65 in October and I was doing water aerobics 3 times a week before COVID. That stopped for now but we bought a rowing machine and I use it 20-30 minutes 3 times a week. When it gets cooler I can start walking. I don't have a handicapped plate, I get around just fine. I don't get on the floor any more often than I have to but I think I do just fine. It seems that once you hit 65 people think your ready for the old folks home. 

Boy, that is true.  Or they just stop caring.  A rowing machine is a great exercise, especially because we lost that upper body strength as we age.  My mother passed at 93 and she never had a cane, walker, hearing aids and had all of her teeth.  However, she was 'tippy' at times and had weaker ankles which mades me think I'd better take care of myself now!

Valued Contributor

@D Kay wrote:

I am retired and am lucky to have a dog that forces me to walk everyday.   If you don't have some kind of schedule that you feel obligated to adhere to, you will end up not doing it more often than not.  There are also classes/exercises that help with balance such as Tae Chi (may be misspelled)    There my be local senior classes that you could try.

I hope to join some classes once this virus stuff goes away - the mask thing is not my thing!  

Valued Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 

I need to do this!  Thanks for your suggestion Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I'll be 86 on 10/1. Aside from probably inheriting good DNA, I keep busy with yard work/gardening, regular exercise, and good diet. So far--so good. Woman Happy