Honored Contributor

Re: Sometimes I feel like a puppet with broken strings!

Oh, Ford, I hurt for you just reading this.{#emotions_dlg.crying} I am no stranger to pain but I think yours is much worse than mine. I know our beliefs are different and I hope you don't mind, but I am really going to be praying for you.

Esteemed Contributor

Ford, when you first posted this, I was at a loss as to how to respond, other than with a prayer...however, I keep seeing this with the "broken strings", and I keep looking at my harp making sure all my strings are intact!

(They have a tendency to pop in high humidity, so I'm safe for now.)

Hope you are on a speedy mend!

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 jubilant said:

Oh, Ford, I hurt for you just reading this.{#emotions_dlg.crying} I am no stranger to pain but I think yours is much worse than mine. I know our beliefs are different and I hope you don't mind, but I am really going to be praying for you.

I don't mind people praying for me, but I would ask you to please pray for my daughter instead, who has serious Lyme disease. It's your intentions that count.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 Ford1224 said:

I don't mind people praying for me, but I would ask you to please pray for my daughter instead, who has serious Lyme disease. It's your intentions that count.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

I sure will.

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 Ford1224 said:

I sure will.

Thank you jubilant. I forgot to mention that my daughter prays also and believes as you do, which is why I think she is more in need of your prayers. The Lyme is in her brain and nervous system, which is what frightens me so.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 Harpa said:

Ford, when you first posted this, I was at a loss as to how to respond, other than with a prayer...however, I keep seeing this with the "broken strings", and I keep looking at my harp making sure all my strings are intact!

(They have a tendency to pop in high humidity, so I'm safe for now.)

Hope you are on a speedy mend!

Oh my, a harpist (should have known from your siggy). I've always loved the sound of a harp. Smile

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

My daughter managed to get over to our new apartment to measure for shades and we ordered them last evening, so that is one thing off my mind. There is still so much to do and only a month to do it in. Nothing has been started at my apartment yet.

While she was there she met one of our neighbors who was filling her in on the residents of our building. Because of the nature of the community (only one and two bedrooms) there are not many families with small children, it is mostly middle-aged and elderly. Our very next door neighbor is a woman about my age who just had hip surgery and lives alone. She has had a very sad life, as she has already lost two of her daughters. Her one living daughter comes over to care for her.

I cannot imagine losing any of my daughters, I don't think I could live with it. Imagine having three children and losing two of them. I am looking forward to meeting and befriending her (which may or may not be reciprocated, but I will try). From what the neighbor told my daughter, she mostly keeps to herself.

That is not a formal "senior community," as I said, but the nature of its construction tends to make it not suitable for families, which I am used to, but would have enjoyed seeing some little children around sometimes. There is a clubhouse and a pool there, so maybe if I go over there occasionally I might see some grandchildren running around.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

Hi Ford, I see you're moving in with your daughter that has Lyme's? I'm sure that will be good for the both of you.

I know you've mentioned you take meds for thyroid. Have you ever heard that the meds cause bone issues? The tech that did my baseline bone scan mentioned it just in conversation.

Was it your thyroid problems (diagnosis) that started first? So far that's the only issue I have to take meds for. But after a few years, I wonder if the domino effect is going to start with other issues.....

Honored Contributor

On 2/19/2015 Lucky charm said:

Hi Ford, I see you're moving in with your daughter that has Lyme's? I'm sure that will be good for the both of you.

I know you've mentioned you take meds for thyroid. Have you ever heard that the meds cause bone issues? The tech that did my baseline bone scan mentioned it just in conversation.

Was it your thyroid problems (diagnosis) that started first? So far that's the only issue I have to take meds for. But after a few years, I wonder if the domino effect is going to start with other issues.....

Yes, I found out that Synthroid (the only med I can take for my hypothyroidism) caused bone issues about a decade after I started taking it. However, like every other health issue in my life, I had no choice. One cannot live without properly balanced thyroid hormones.

I also realized later after I came down with RA, that hypothyroidism was actually my first autoimmune disease, not the RA. I was diagnosed with hypo when I entered menopause at around age 49 or 50, and diagnosed with RA at 66 (although I think I already had it before it was diagnosed because I used to get strange swellings on the tops of my hands).

Then came all the rest and probably more to come depending upon my ultimate life span. I can't complain, 77 is a good lifetime.

Yes, my daughter and I will be somewhat the blind leading the blind in some ways, although our issues are completely different. She has very little pain and when not prostrated with exhaustion, she can do things physically. I am physically worthless, but my brain works a little better, since she has a lot of symptoms of brain fog and other really weird feelings that she can't even explain. Her Lyme is called "neural" because it is located in her brain and nervous system. If we both get really sick at the same time, well then I have two other daughters who can help. If they can't come, we can always hug each other.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

I've been leery of taking the thyroid prescription meds since day one. But no other choice. Or is there??

There is so much 'out there' about whether calcium helps at a certain age or makes things worse. What form of calcium is more effective? Is strontium a better alternative? I've read that consuming dairy can actually leach the calcium out of your bones and also, I've read it's all about your intake when you were younger.

It's frightening sometimes because you don't know whether your doing good or truly harming yourself.

Also, I read where working out with weights and doing resistance training helps the onset or complications of bone loss. I do these exercises, but not faithfully, however I do walk an unbelievable amount daily.

Of my mother and two sisters, I'm the only one with a thyroid problem. We are all exact replicas (and should include my mother's sisters too). I always wondered what I did wrong.