Honored Contributor

Re: Something New At My Primary Doctor's Appointment

@Drythe wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Drythe 

Wait, I'm not following this ...  is this my chart a program or are you referring to your own chart?  Is your doctor putting your information online?   

@Tinkrbl44 

As You did not answer the question I asked you in this thread, I believe I will follow your good example.  

SMH

@Drythe 

LOL.  I thought someone else had already answered that, so my answer would have been redundant.  I wasn't ignoring you, and am sorry if you felt that.

Basically, a discount from an insurer would be a reduction of premium.  If an MD's malpractice insurance is $100k per year, they could reduce it to, for example, $80k per year.    I have no idea what malpractice insurance costs, btw, I am just making an example.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As an RN pretty munch nothing medical embarrasses me or makes me uncomfortable.

There are a number of people aside from the physician who will need to look at your chart such as nurses and the coder for insurance billing. 

Patients need to realize that many doctors are so busy they often don’t get around to charting office visits until weeks later. You’re relying on their memory to be that accurate? Having a recorder, human or electronic, is probably a good thing. 😉

Honored Contributor

@chlema   Were you told it was being recorded by the glasses?  I would think it would be illegal to record without consent.  

@chlema wrote:

Two years ago my doctor came in wearing these really strange eye  glasses.  Found out later that the glasses were recording my visit.  I found it distracting but didn't say anything.  Before my next visit he transferred to another office and my current doctor does not record.  I don't really care for her but that's another story.  

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:

As an RN pretty munch nothing medical embarrasses me or makes me uncomfortable.

There are a number of people aside from the physician who will need to look at your chart such as nurses and the coder for insurance billing. 

Patients need to realize that many doctors are so busy they often don’t get around to charting office visits until weeks later. You’re relying on their memory to be that accurate? Having a recorder, human or electronic, is probably a good thing. 😉

@bikerbabe 

ITA - People complain about the cost of medical care, but don’t blink at a provider’s time to dictate a chart note after a visit, to review and sign off on it after it is typed, and if needed to make changes, + the cost of transcription.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

Our doctor dictates his notes in our presence but hasn't requested recording during appointment.  

BUT my spouse has so many different doctors with different "opinions" on how to treat my spouses "failing" respiratory issues I started recording the appointments and the drs know.

The reason I started doing this was for a few reasons:

1- I couldn't go in and they'd "FaceTime" and talk so fast & technical -- (which I didn't truly understand) I'd  hang up & "try to remember".  
2 - Spouse couldn't remember 1/2 the things the doctor said

3- I now can listen to the findings and directions given at my own pace & write it down.  

Even now, I can go in with him I'm still doing it.  Tomorrow he has appt with a  lung surgeon in our area & we are very interested what his findings will be.  I already told them I want to record the appointment.

lucky for us we had a telemedicine appointment withTemple Lung Center,( Philadelphia) chief surgeon who pointed out many things these doctors haven't done, tests, scans, etc. that need to be addressed vs living on high doses of steroids.

After tomorrow appt  I can make best decision where he should be treated. (I prefer Temple but it's up to him).

Plus, for me I have better records.

Trusted Contributor

Now that I know this is going on, I will stop the chit chat with my doctor who I've known for many years.  Lately he has been awfully quiet while asking questions without giving me a reply so I think he too is recording and doesn't want his own voice recorded.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't like it.  But. If they feel it's OK  to record the appt than You record Me and I'LL RECORD YOU. 

Honored Contributor

I never heard of that, I would have refused too.  It sounds bizarre.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Wow ... the first thing I thought of is their malpractice insurance, and how costly it is.  Maybe the insurance companies are giving MDs a discount if their appointment are recorded?   

When I talk to my doctor, it's between us.  Yes I know they make notes, but it's not the conversation verbatim.  

Personally, I would pass.  

Insurers definitely are not behind this, they don't deal recordings and taped visits.  It sounds like lazy doctors who don't want to dictate a note after the visit.  They record the visit itself and leave it up to a transcriber to write the note.   

Honored Contributor

A medical scribe is not an assistant.  A medical scribe does is a paraprifessional specific training who accompanies the physician and charts the visit.  Most are college graduates and in addition to their training, they must pass an exam and be certified.