Honored Contributor

Re: Something New At My Primary Doctor's Appointment

Wow...disturbing.  @Drythe   At what point would you review the chart.  During/after the visit?  Because of this trend, I would most likely refuse to say much of anything...so a waste of time.  I've always been made to feel that the charts were for the MDs only and the patient doesn't have access.  I am learning to question this practice and assert my rights because of the contributions being made here.  

Thank you everyone on this board for this honest discussion.  I think this is a critical issue having to do with our private information and rights.  Important to be clear what is being represented in the medical charts...could be critical at some point.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe 

Wait, I'm not following this ...  is this my chart a program or are you referring to your own chart?  Is your doctor putting your information online?   

Honored Contributor

I think my chart is an EMR program that allows patients to access their records

I won't sign up with any of them 

Respected Contributor

Confidentiality? No way.

Esteemed Contributor

I am surprised this isn't everywhere by now and not optional but required.  My take is it has a lot do do with the lawsuit happy crowd.  My years working in the dental field was great experience.  Our operatories were all open but a doctor's office, different story. 

Surprisingly my doctor is old school.  He is in the room alone with me for the duration of the appointment and he does all his own typing into his computer during the session.  

I do find he gets sidetracked with it and seems to be more in tune with the electronics than me.  I think someone should be in the room and or record the appointment.

When I was sick and going through treatment I had  medical students involved  every step of the way.  I had no problem with it like @Kachina624  said, we need more doctors and they need the hands on training and experience.

Esteemed Contributor

I would not consent to being recorded.  

Honored Contributor

Never have I heard of this and never would I consent.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

My PCP has been using a laptop during my office visits for about seven years. I won't consent to being recorded. 

I use My Chart. I have mixed feelings about it though.  It's great for requesting a script refill or asking a question. Plus I can check in for my office visits online and not have to fill out questionnaires at the doctors office.

Hospitals and medical facilities have some don't seem to take the security of our data seriously. 

Honored Contributor

Every person who comes into the exam room has a computer with them and they type everything into the computer as they are talking to me.  

Trusted Contributor

Two years ago my doctor came in wearing these really strange eye  glasses.  Found out later that the glasses were recording my visit.  I found it distracting but didn't say anything.  Before my next visit he transferred to another office and my current doctor does not record.  I don't really care for her but that's another story.