Trusted Contributor

Re: Something New At My Primary Doctor's Appointment

I had a dr. who never looked up from or put down his iPad the entire visit...he just asked questions. He could have also been recording on the iPad for all I know. I would never give consent. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Wow ... the first thing I thought of is their malpractice insurance, and how costly it is.  Maybe the insurance companies are giving MDs a discount if their appointment are recorded?   

When I talk to my doctor, it's between us.  Yes I know they make notes, but it's not the conversation verbatim.  

Personally, I would pass.  

@Tinkrbl44 

How would this discount from insurance company to doctor work?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

maybe an insider could confirm my impression of "my chart"

Our entire records are NOT on my chart and therefore are NOT accessble to the patient. This first came to my attention when a nurse said to my "you will want a copy of this report (surgical labs)" The top of the report said NOT FOR MY CHART. There was nothing damming towards my case. 

My guess would be that the transcription of the visit would not be on my chart either. No way that you could clarify any remarks. No way to say : that is not what I meant. 

The usual visit summary that is posted is not the official clinic notes that would be for example shared with another provider. 

Honored Contributor

My doctor takes notes easily from our conversations and reads what is in his notes back to me and we talk about it.  For him and me it is a great tool and very helpful.

No, I would NOT want it recorded and I doubt he would either.  His summary from the visit is on line for me to read. 

Respected Contributor

I'm glad many people read this thread so you can think through what you'll say if confronted with a similar situation. It was hard being hit with this with no warning at check-in. 

By the way, the receptionist also told me the local Chick-Fil-A is out of nuggets, but that was a different thread Smiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

maybe an insider could confirm my impression of "my chart"

Our entire records are NOT on my chart and therefore are NOT accessble to the patient. This first came to my attention when a nurse said to my "you will want a copy of this report (surgical labs)" The top of the report said NOT FOR MY CHART. There was nothing damming towards my case. 

My guess would be that the transcription of the visit would not be on my chart either. No way that you could clarify any remarks. No way to say : that is not what I meant. 

The usual visit summary that is posted is not the official clinic notes that would be for example shared with another provider. 

@granddi 

The patient may request that a copy of the visit summary, or chart notes be placed in the “My Chart” using whatever permission / request the medical facility uses.

Regarding the concern you mentioned, there IS a way to address / mistakes, I did it recently.  

Patient May send a written addendum to be added to the chart, and request confirmation.

Or, using the patient portal may message the MD with the correction, which is what I did.  My MD sent me a note acknowledging receipt, and noted it on the visit summary as a correction, not changing the presence of the original words.  I did this, only because it could affect course of treatment going forward.

Downside

Patient must read, notice the error, and be computer savvy enough to use this method.

Am I clear?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My doctor is also an instructor at the UNM Medical School and every year during periods has a student shadowing her.  I'm aways asked if it's okay for the student to interview me and sit in on my session with the doctor.  I'm always happy to cooperate.  We desperately need more doctors and how else are they able to get through medical school?  I've always enjoyed talking to them. 

@Kachina624 

I live in a town with two medical schools (Tulane & LSU) so I've experienced this a lot, too - with a number of my doctors.  I agree with you that they need to train and I'm happy to help in this way.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Marp 

Being in the land of teaching hospitals / medical centers, I have been giving permission to have medical students present at exams for years, and have volunteered as a subject for “guess the disease” with medical students.  I’m not uncomfortable with them in general.

As a clinical teacher, I want to participate in grooming more new MDs.  However, I always review my chart notes no matter HOW they are created.

The ‘Scribe’ was a new concept to me 3 years ago.  Soon I think it will become the Scribe or tape.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband and I each have a doc who has somebody in there typing notes while we are there.  It never entered my mind to be concerned about it.  They work there, they have access anyway.     In my case it was the dermatologist doing the skin check so rather than stopping after every area check and making notes, she was able to talk during the process as the gal made the notes.  It made total sense.  

Everybody needs to check their records anyway.  I have had what I assume was somebody else's condition entered into my chart at a doctor's office.  I saw it, alerted them and it was immediately removed.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't encountered this yet but after reading all the comments I will do the following.  I will OK recording as long as at the end of the appointment I can record your instruction and  summation of the visit.  Think it will work?