Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

[ Edited ]

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

To date there has been only ONE THING that has been shown to actually cure T2D and they don't know why!  That's gastric bypass surgery.

 


OMG. You can't be serious.  Going under anesthesia, cutting yourself open, risking major infection, cutting an organ in half,throwing up all the time & risking malnutrition...is the answer?  Versus eating a potato?   OMG.  You can't be serious.   

 

Dr. Garth Davis (author: 'Proteinaholic') is a very respected bariatric surgeon in Houston.  In fact he had a show w/ his father on TLC called 'Big Medicine."  

 

He found himself overweight with undesirable biomarkers...so he lost weight....on a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet.  

 

Today?  Still performs surgery, but many of his patients avoid surgery & dramatically reduce/eliminate all medications...all with a change in diet.

 

His words:  

 https://www.facebook.com/drgarth/posts/836029126417997

 

Gastric Bypass?  No, it's not the answer.

Even one of the MOST respected

gastric bypass surgeons would say,"No, it's not the answer,".  

 

Sidenote: Glycemic Index?  Many diabetics refer to this info & misuse this info to shun healthy foods (potato, carrot).

The doctor developing the honored Glycemic Index, Dr. David Jenkins,

even recommends a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet....even HE understands the importance of diet.

 

The answer is a change in diet.  It's always about the diet.

 

image.jpeg

QVC Customer Care
Posts: 2,812
Registered: ‎06-14-2015

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,652
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

@sidsmom--while you're here.....what do use for salad dressing? 

 

Need some ideas as I usually use an olive oil based dressing (homemade).  Am trying to cut down on olive oil, maybe get off it completely. 

 

I know that many say olive oil is good for you, BUT my Italian born grandfather died of heart disease and many of my Italian-American relatives suffer from different heart problems.

 

Something did click....

 

Sometimes a plain salad doesn't cut it for me...any recipes for me?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.


@Lucky charm wrote:

@sidsmom--while you're here.....what do use for salad dressing? 

 

Need some ideas as I usually use an olive oil based dressing (homemade).  Am trying to cut down on olive oil, maybe get off it completely. 

 

I know that many say olive oil is good for you, BUT my Italian born grandfather died of heart disease and many of my Italian-American relatives suffer from different heart problems.

 

Something did click....

 

Sometimes a plain salad doesn't cut it for me...any recipes for me?


@Lucky charm

"Something did click..."

My heart is about to burst!  Yes, seeing the detrimental effects of an unhealthy diet up-close is soul-shaking.  

 

Yes, olive oil is SO harmful...it's a processed food!

I usually get get my overt fats in form of a salad dressing.

Mix a plant fat w/ fruit is a go-to.

Avocado, cashews, tofu..even beans provide the fat base.

I'll use a thinned out homemade fat free hummus...thinned with OJ or just water.  

 

I'm currently digging Dr. Esselstyn's favorite (2T fat free hummus, 2T OJ, 2T balsamic vinegar, 2T prepared mustard & 1t minced ginger)

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,652
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

[ Edited ]

Thanks SM.  I live off hummus (make mine w/cannenelli or northern beans). 

 

Although I do add tahini (just checked, no oil in it).  My downfall is lots of jalepenos.  I also add cloves of garlic, sometimes balsamic and even pecans. 

 

So mine isn't low fat.  Woman Embarassed

 

I dip with cucumbers or red and/or orange peppers.

 

I can see thinning it out and getting rid of some goodies (nuts, seed paste).  Can't give up the heat though!

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,279
Registered: ‎07-02-2015

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom

 

you wrote:

<<OMG. You can't be serious.  Going under anesthesia, cutting yourself open, risking major infection, cutting an organ in half,throwing up all the time & risking malnutrition...is the answer?  Versus eating a potato?   OMG.  You can't be serious. >>

 

You might want to be more selective when choosing people to advise about  the consumption of potatoes. Here's some diabetes news for you......

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/if-youre-planning-to-become-pregnant-you-migh...

 

 

 

  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,279
Registered: ‎07-02-2015

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

@Lucky charm

 

Before you eliminate vegetable oils from your diet, try to do some reading about the role of vegetable oils in helping the body produce the very material necessary to reduce cholesterol and sustain health. 

 

Nonhydrogenated vegetable oils are a key source of lineolic acid, which is one of a number of essential nutrients needed to synthesize lecithin, which controls cholesterol.   

 

One oil to (probably) avoid is coconut oil, which contains highly saturated fat.  (I'm a little surprised at the sudden popularity of various types of coconut products........but that just goes to show how knowledge--or lack thereof-- of food and nutrition can change with the times.)

Another nutrition subject that deserves some reading time is the need for "complete" proteins in the diet, which are obtained by eating meats, fish, dairy products and eggs.  (This statement will horrify any Paleo fan but to my knowledge, it is perfectly true.)

 

A vegetable diet alone does not readily supply complete proteins unless a person  is educated and aware of how to combine plant foods to consume an optimum daily diet.

 

How various food components work together to sustain life is a complicated subject. It  should not be dismissed or disrespected, especially by  taking oversimplified advice from  amateur nutritionists.

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

The final class was today. It was the only one I was really interested to go to. It was about diet - finally. Then the dietitian came in and spent 30 min blowing her own horn telling us how qualified she was - then she gave us a book to read for an hour and for the final hour she answered questions and taught us how she wants us to read labels. That was it. I had to ask about 5 times before she finally told us how many grams of carbs, fats and protein we are supposed to eat per meal and snack. She wants us to eat 3 meals - 30 gm of carbs/meal and 5 snacks at 15gm of carbs a day. Well, first - how can someone who is working eat all these meals ? Not all jobs are spent sitting at a desk where you can grab a snack while you work. Heck, when I was working we had to beg someone to watch our patients so we could go out to the BR - let alone go to lunch - unheard of - or to leave 5 times to get a snack. So , even though i no longer do work, I found the thought of stopping to eat 8 times a day to be very unrealistic. That you can not go more than 2 1/2 hours without food. The absolute final thing you are to do before you go to bed is eat a snack. then jump rioght into bed. It seems clear to me that if you have to eat this often - they are not allowing you enough to eat each time, because you should not have to eat this often. Anyway, in the end you eat 150gm of carbs/day, 50gm of fats, 1500mg of salt (less than a tsp) and try to get some fiber in as much as you can. I am planning to figure it out on my own and just use those daily totals as my guide - because i am not eating 8 times a day !!! i will do 50m gm of carbs 3 times a day and actually be satisfied with my meal, and get the same carb load.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,357
Registered: ‎03-23-2010

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.


@151949 wrote:

Sidsmom theories aside - todays class was about meds. Some signal the pancreas to send out insulin, metformin tells the liver to not send out any glucose, one Actos, makes you rreadsorb the glucose after eating - and has side effects including that it can cause significant weight gain, and some replace the GLP1 hormone that is missing in a type 2 diabetic, and the newest thing out there is the class of drugs that works in the kidneys to get rid of glucose in the urine.Since we do not have any insulin using diabetics in our class she did not discuss insulin past to say that insulins are a natural hormone in the body and all the other drugs are chemicals so really the insulin is healthier.  She did say that almost all type 2 diabetics these days are on metformin alone or a combo drug of metformin and some other drug.She also said metformin is called the longevity drug and that people who take it tend to live to be very old. 


I've been on Metformin for at least 7 years with no residual side effects.  I am also on Simvistatin and my cholesterl, LDL, HDL and trigycerides are doing very well.  My A1C however, is at about 6.5 and that is due to my own fault.  I need to lose 40lbs. and I know if I did that, I could probably get off the Metformin.

Now, DH has been on anti rejections drugs and recently Prednison (from his kidney transplant).  He was warned that he would develop type II diabetes and he has.  He takes Glimperide, Tradjenta and a weekly injection of Bydurien.  He has never been overweight but in the past year he has lost 15lbs.

We went to the nutrition/diabetic classes.  I also worked in a hospital for 25 years and it's all about your carb intake and diet modification.  JMO.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.


@Gooday wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Sidsmom theories aside - todays class was about meds. Some signal the pancreas to send out insulin, metformin tells the liver to not send out any glucose, one Actos, makes you rreadsorb the glucose after eating - and has side effects including that it can cause significant weight gain, and some replace the GLP1 hormone that is missing in a type 2 diabetic, and the newest thing out there is the class of drugs that works in the kidneys to get rid of glucose in the urine.Since we do not have any insulin using diabetics in our class she did not discuss insulin past to say that insulins are a natural hormone in the body and all the other drugs are chemicals so really the insulin is healthier.  She did say that almost all type 2 diabetics these days are on metformin alone or a combo drug of metformin and some other drug.She also said metformin is called the longevity drug and that people who take it tend to live to be very old. 


I've been on Metformin for at least 7 years with no residual side effects.  I am also on Simvistatin and my cholesterl, LDL, HDL and trigycerides are doing very well.  My A1C however, is at about 6.5 and that is due to my own fault.  I need to lose 40lbs. and I know if I did that, I could probably get off the Metformin.

Now, DH has been on anti rejections drugs and recently Prednison (from his kidney transplant).  He was warned that he would develop type II diabetes and he has.  He takes Glimperide, Tradjenta and a weekly injection of Bydurien.  He has never been overweight but in the past year he has lost 15lbs.

We went to the nutrition/diabetic classes.  I also worked in a hospital for 25 years and it's all about your carb intake and diet modification.  JMO.


I am betting your DH is on prednisone for one of his antirejection drugs and it does elevate the blood sugar. I too take prednisone - though I'm sure at a much lower dose than your husband- because I have asthma. i asked today in class if they have the same low FBS expectation for those who are taking a drug that causes elevation in blood sugar and they answered yes, I would just have to eat a lot less to get to goal. Well, ok then.The prednisone has also caused me to put on a lot of weight esp. around my middle and my face, and my PCP nags at mne about it.I remind him about the prednisone and he answers , you just have to work harder to lose it, that's all.So my current plan is to try to get on a different drug for the asthma because it seems as long as I am taking prednisone I am nothing but a rat running around a wheel - I'm not going to get anywhere.