Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,354
Registered: ‎03-21-2010

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

Where do you take Diabete Classes at?
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,320
Registered: ‎07-02-2015

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom

 

Can you name any of the known nutrients that might be missing from what  you have labeled  a "starchivore",  low-protein, diet? 

 

Do you regularly take vitamin and/or mineral supplements or protein powders to compensate for what might be missing in your plant-based diet?

 

It might be helpful in your proclaimed mission of "coming here to educate" if you quoted some known research institutions and studies about nutrition,  instead of people who make a living selling their own books  on the subject. You could add to your credibility by telling your students how old you are , so they  might have an idea of how long you have been existing on the type of diet plan you so readily and emphatically prescribe for others.

 

Have you ever heard of Carlton Fredericks, and do you know anything about his history as a nutrition book-peddler, radio host, and diet pundit?  If not, look him up.  Some of the authors and lecturers you have mentioned in earlier posts remind me of him.  Quacks who are "in it for the money" have been around for a very long time.

 

Among "Doctor" Fredericks' books were titles such as "Nutrition Guide for the Prevention & Cure of Common Ailments & Diseases".........and "Look Younger, Feel Healthier".    His career came to an interesting end........to say the least.....and makes for instructive reading.

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,320
Registered: ‎07-02-2015

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

More about "Doctor" Carlton Fredericks mentioned in my earlier post.  Info is from wikipedia.com...............There are hundreds more just like him out there, making a fortune trying to save and "educate" the world with one-size-fits-all dietary recommendations.

 

<<

Carlton Fredericks, born Harold Frederick Caplan, (October 23, 1910 – July 28, 1987) was a radio commentator and writer on nutrition and health.

He was born in Brooklyn, New York and graduated from the University of Alabama in 1931 with a major in English and a minor in political science. In 1937 he got a job writing advertising copy and giving sales talks for the U.S. Vitamin Corporation. In this capacity, he began diagnosing and prescribing vitamins to patients. Caught in a sting operation conducted by agents from the New York State Department of Education, he pleaded guilty to unlawful practice of medicine in the Special Sessions Court of New York City on March 13, 1945 and paid a $500 fine, receiving a suspended sentence of 3 months in prison. He enrolled in New York University's School of Education and received a master's degree in 1949, and a night-school Ph.D. in Communications in 1955, his dissertation being "A Study of the Responses of a Group of Adult Female Listeners to a Series of Educational Radio Programs." He was a radio host at WMGM in New York City, and starting in 1957 moved to WOR-AM, where he stayed for 30 years until his death.

His WOR-AM nutrition advice call-in program, Design for Living, was broadcast six days a week by the station and was also syndicated. Fredericks also wrote several books on nutrition as well as writing a column for Prevention magazine. He was a heavy smoker and died of a heart attack in 1987.[1][2]

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,064
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

I have taken diabetic classes twice because we moved.  They were mainly nutrition.  Both times my PCM referred me to take the classes.  Insurance paid and they were at hospial classroom. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,558
Registered: ‎03-17-2010

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

Once again.... high numbers are NOT ONLY the product of the food you eat!  For the poster who continually states that IT'S ALL ABOUT FOOD.... well, no it isn't.

 

Stress and pain are also an intregal part of Diabetes mangement.   I recently was in a lot of pain for about two days and only ate broths and vegetables and had a terrible time with my numbers, far above average.  When the pain subsided, my numbers fell to where I am normally.

 

In 2010 I was in the hospital because I fell down a flight of stairs hitting my face on the bannister below and nearly died with three brain bleeds and a concussion.  The nurses there managed my Diabetes with Insulin shots BECAUSE my numbers were SO HIGH.  I didn't eat anything... ANYTHING for a day and a half straight.  

 

Now how could that be when I wasn't eating any food at all?   If it's ALL ABOUT FOOD in order to control Diabetes.... why would I require Insulin to control my numbers?    It's because Physical Stress and Pain can do a terrible job on Diabetes control even though you are doing everything right food-wise....

 

Please keep that in mind.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,504
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.


@Q4U wrote:

Once again.... high numbers are NOT ONLY the product of the food you eat!  For the poster who continually states that IT'S ALL ABOUT FOOD.... well, no it isn't.

 

Stress and pain are also an intregal part of Diabetes mangement.   I recently was in a lot of pain for about two days and only ate broths and vegetables and had a terrible time with my numbers, far above average.  When the pain subsided, my numbers fell to where I am normally.

 

In 2010 I was in the hospital because I fell down a flight of stairs hitting my face on the bannister below and nearly died with three brain bleeds and a concussion.  The nurses there managed my Diabetes with Insulin shots BECAUSE my numbers were SO HIGH.  I didn't eat anything... ANYTHING for a day and a half straight.  

 

Now how could that be when I wasn't eating any food at all?   If it's ALL ABOUT FOOD in order to control Diabetes.... why would I require Insulin to control my numbers?    It's because Physical Stress and Pain can do a terrible job on Diabetes control even though you are doing everything right food-wise....

 

Please keep that in mind.... 


 

 

 

You must just be in denial and you must have WANTED your numbers to go high 😆. Because...you know...like all the rest of us here, you want to be sick 😏

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,676
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

One thing that has not been mentioned is going to the American Diabetes Association website. Go, read, take notes, absorb the information.

 

Read labels and read them carefully. Different brands have different carb/sugar counts for the same food item. Go with the lower amounts. No salt added canned foods: vegetables, tomato sauces-I avoid them because no added salt usually means additional sugars. Same with low fat food items-higher sugars. 

 

The Diabetes Association shows the plate method: 1/4 carbs-that can be bread, pasta, rice, starchy veggies. 1/4 protein-poultry, fish, pork and it's preferred that the amount be between 4-6 ounces. 1/2 the plate with non-starchy vegetables. The latter can include salad. 

 

I don't know where the person in the OP's original post got the information she was sharing with the class. There are some doctors who are very strict regarding carbs: one here in town restricts his patients to no more than 20 carbs a day. He is not the doctor chosen... Everyone is different and a lot of this is by trial and error. You will soon learn what spikes your sugars and what doesn't. The best method for a while is to take your BS before the meal and two hours after. Thinking that something on your plate spiked your sugar could be an error if you were high to begin with; the only way to determine that is to take the BS before a meal. 

 

Excersize is vital. It was suggested that if you eat a meal higher than normal in carbs go take a brisk 30 minute walk after. Or get on the treadmill. It works.

 

Drinking: If you are on Metformin you had better discuss alcohol with your doctor. That's what is written on the info that comes with the med. The doctor will tell you what, if anything, you can consume.  4 oz of wine or 1.5 oz of hard liquor once or twice a week. And if you do consume alcohol be aware that it can affect your sugars-the liver is busy processing the alcohol and doesn't produce as much sugar. You can have a drop in sugar-

Valued Contributor
Posts: 947
Registered: ‎10-24-2015

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.


@sidsmom wrote:

@


@italia8140 wrote:

@Toppers wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Loripta wrote:

@novamc wrote:

@Lucky charm

 

Before you eliminate vegetable oils from your diet, try to do some reading about the role of vegetable oils in helping the body produce the very material necessary to reduce cholesterol and sustain health.  


When reducing cholesterol became the method of choice for controlling heart disease, as well as the low fat diet in the early to mid 1980s, there was an interesting side effect. That was when a drastic increase in Type 2 DM and Alzheimer's occurred . 


There are so many red flags with this statement..especially the reducing cholesterol comment, it would take too long to address, but 2 HUGE red flags stand out the most with the low-fat comment:

 

1. Low fat diets of the 80s-90s were NOT low fat. People pat themselves on the back by reducing their fat intake to 20-30% of total calories THINKING they were low fat. 20+% of your dietary calories in fat is NOT low fat. Never has been, never will be. 20+% is still considered a higher fat diet. If one is trying to ward off illness, ESPECIALLY T2 diabetes with 20% fat, you're not going to be successful.

 

Why can't people see the connection?

 

2. '..low fat diet in the early to mid 1980s'...and really into the 90's. The 90's brought on a new marketing beginning for Atkins. Then the 2000's to current, Paleo & Primal/Cavemen eating got a foothold. Both with a strong emphasis in animal product & high fat foods.

 

This way of animal-high fat eating has been going on for 30 years. THIRTY YEARS!  Everyone is so quick to 'blame' the Snackwell Years for today's obesity problem, heart disease problem and T2 diabetic epidemic. The public has had THIRTY YEARS to fix!! 

 

NEWSFLASH: Your animal high fat diet is not working!! Everyone is still fat and/or sick.   If the animal, high fat diet worked so well, why is everyone still sick?!

 

Why can't people see the connection?

 

Other things that make me SMH... all these 'diabetic forms' for T2 diabetics. I ventured over there & typed in low fat in their search function. Literally no threads about how low fat works. Why? For those T2 diabetic people adopting a low fat diet, they are no longer diabetic! They don't need these forums.

 

Why can't people see the connection?

 

Other thing...all the sick T2 diabetic people are THINKING they're 'healthy'...and can rattle off their BS numbers & this fasting number & that carb intake number. NEWSFLASH: if you have to manage, eat & take copious amounts of medication for your illness, you're still sick!!

 

Why can't people see the connection?!

 

If left isn't working, go right.
If no isn't working, say yes.
If a low carb, high fat diet keeps you sick, then go opposite for health.

 

Posters on our forum talking about T2 diabetes are quick to say I'm crazy or I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't have the sickness they have. NEWSFLASH: I'm not sick! I should be what everyone with T2 diabetes aspires to be like! Do what I'm doing & you'll not be sick.

 

I come on to these threads to educate. But 99% of the others posting on these threads are sick & unhealthy & just want to commiserate with other sick, unhealthy people. Sick people like to hang out with sick people. Sick people want to hear good things about their bad habits.

 

There's SO MUCH mis-information out there. People are making alot of money from you. It's shocking how everyone sick & unhealthy are being sold a bundle of bad goods.

 

Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based diet will dramatically help and/or CURE your T2 diabetes forever. Plain & simple. It's not rocket science. It's all about the food.  

 

I can pick up the phone right now & call personal friends of mine that were on insulin for years...they changed their diet, changed their lifestyle & threw away their blood monitors...forever.  They are no longer diabetic.   Maybe that's why I'm so passionate to keep talking about this.  CHANGES CAN BE MADE. 

 

Why can't people see the connection?


 


She actually believes she has the answer to everything as far as diet goes. She's not an EXPERT and probably has no experience as a nutritionist.


Thank you for resurrecting an old 'Page 2'/'Page 3' Wellness thread.

I kinda feel like Carrie Bradshaw.

Y'all always come sniffing me out.

Thread is yesterday's news.

 

image.jpeg


So are your posts.Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.


@novamc wrote:

@sidsmom

 

Can you name any of the known nutrients that might be missing from what  you have labeled  a "starchivore",  low-protein, diet? 

 

Do you regularly take vitamin and/or mineral supplements or protein powders to compensate for what might be missing in your plant-based diet?

 

It might be helpful in your proclaimed mission of "coming here to educate" if you quoted some known research institutions and studies about nutrition,  instead of people who make a living selling their own books  on the subject. You could add to your credibility by telling your students how old you are , so they  might have an idea of how long you have been existing on the type of diet plan you so readily and emphatically prescribe for others.

 

Have you ever heard of Carlton Fredericks, and do you know anything about his history as a nutrition book-peddler, radio host, and diet pundit?  If not, look him up.  Some of the authors and lecturers you have mentioned in earlier posts remind me of him.  Quacks who are "in it for the money" have been around for a very long time.

 

Among "Doctor" Fredericks' books were titles such as "Nutrition Guide for the Prevention & Cure of Common Ailments & Diseases".........and "Look Younger, Feel Healthier".    His career came to an interesting end........to say the least.....and makes for instructive reading.


@novamc

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/do-vegetarians-get-enough-protein/

 

Sorry to be late responding.
Thanks for circling back with your questions.

 

Most of the low fat whole foods plant based diets generally have the micro-nutrient ratio of 80/10/10. 80% Carbohydrate, 10% Protein, 10% Fat. Over the last century, Americans have become so protein obsessed. More illnesses occur from TOO much protein than not enough. Maybe we plant based eaters need to ask everyone..."where do you get your fiber?"

 

Missing nutrients? Nope, none. Other than B12, which EVERYONE, even meat eaters, should be taking, a plant based diets is very, very nutrient rich.

 

Do I take supplements? No, other than B12.
No protein powder...it's a processed food & it's unnecessary.

 

'..known research institutions and studies about nutrition'.
I'm not sure what you entirely mean with this statement. If writing a book discredits you, than everyone talking nutrition, no matter where one stands, is discredited. From God to the devil and everyone in between...they've all written books, blogs, other literature. You can write all the books you want, but seeing the positive results at the doctors office by eating a plant based diet...that's the most important study...a Self Study for your life. Plants deliver.

 

Plant based eating has been a source of survival for many cultures around the World since the beginning of time. Rice, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn...they've all been the eaten as a sole source of survival.

 

If you want an in-depth study about plant based nutrition, I would suggest The China Study, by Dr. T. Colin Campbell. He spent 20+ years, literally his life's work, researching plant based nutrition over in rural China. It's the Gold Standard of plant based research out there. Back before the Internet, books had to be written, so I would never discredit someone wanting to share their message.

 

I continuously talk about Dr. John McDougall.

His message has been consistent since the 70's. Yes he has books, seminars, retreats...he has bills to pay just like we do, but those different venues with the same message, speaks to different people.

 

Want something for FREE? 
Dr. McDougall has his ENTIRE program, with the research, free on his website.
Another NON PROFIT website is called, nutritionfacts.org. Dr. Michael Greger has videos, with the research referenced, on about any subject you can imagine. All free, all researched, all fact based. Everything a doubter would possibly want, with the sources, can be found there. I highly encourage you to visit nutritionfacts.org.

 

As much as I love Dr. McDougall, if people want impressive credentials, there is no other than Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, another plant based Doctor.


Athlete? Not just an athlete, but an Olympic Rowing Champion.
Schooling? Not just a fancy school, but Yale, no less.
Work? Not just a head of a hospital, but The Cleveland Clinic, the Gold Standard of heart health.
He and his family eat plant based. His son, Rip Esselstyn, is a triathlete & Austin firefighter who designed the Engine 2 Diet, for his fellow firefighters to help improve their health.

 

Myself? I'm mid-50's. I became plant based in the 90's when I discovered Dr. McDougall. I felt great, but olive oil, avocado & nuts snuck their way back in...and I paid the price in terms of weight gain. I went the raw vegan route about 8-9 yrs ago, which naturally had the 80/10/10 nutrient ratio and I lost a lot of weight...but I missed the starch. I blew the dust off of my McDougall books several years ago...remembered why it's my nutritional touchstone & I've never looked back. Generally all the low fat whole foods plant based doctors will say the same thing. Just pick one of the many I've mentioned in previous posts.

 

As for the doctor you referenced? I don't know who he is and he sure doesn't sound reputable. I personally don't waste my time researching people that hurt other people. I just stick with the doctors who have been around for decades & have the track record of improving millions of patients with a simple, easy, cheap, ethical, environmentally saving lifestyle.

 

A Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based diet will be the cornerstone of our nutritional future. If the World wants to beat heart disease, cancers and the obesity epidemic, we MUST become plant based.  I, like millions of other plant based people, are just way ahead of the curve.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,558
Registered: ‎03-17-2010

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.


@Moonchilde wrote:

@Q4U wrote:

Once again.... high numbers are NOT ONLY the product of the food you eat!  For the poster who continually states that IT'S ALL ABOUT FOOD.... well, no it isn't.

 

Stress and pain are also an intregal part of Diabetes mangement.   I recently was in a lot of pain for about two days and only ate broths and vegetables and had a terrible time with my numbers, far above average.  When the pain subsided, my numbers fell to where I am normally.

 

In 2010 I was in the hospital because I fell down a flight of stairs hitting my face on the bannister below and nearly died with three brain bleeds and a concussion.  The nurses there managed my Diabetes with Insulin shots BECAUSE my numbers were SO HIGH.  I didn't eat anything... ANYTHING for a day and a half straight.  

 

Now how could that be when I wasn't eating any food at all?   If it's ALL ABOUT FOOD in order to control Diabetes.... why would I require Insulin to control my numbers?    It's because Physical Stress and Pain can do a terrible job on Diabetes control even though you are doing everything right food-wise....

 

Please keep that in mind.... 


 

 

 

You must just be in denial and you must have WANTED your numbers to go high 😆. Because...you know...like all the rest of us here, you want to be sick 😏


LOL.... of course...  Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*