Honored Contributor

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

[ Edited ]

@Toppers

I follow several very prominent registered dietitians within the plant-based world:

Jeff Novick, MS, RD, LD, LN

Julieanna Hever, MS, RD, CPT

Jill Nussinow, MS, RD

They all prescribe the low fat, whole foods, plant based protocol.

They also educate many diabetics about this way of eating so they can drastically reduce their medication & eliminate this condition permanently just by following a LFWFPB diet. 

Frequent Contributor

Great post and hopefully more folks will learn about carbs & type 2.  I've been following vlc (30 or less grams per day) for ten years and find it the best way for me to control my b.g.  My A1c is 5.7 and I am not on insulin or oral meds.

Some good books are Dr. Richard K. Bernstein "Diabetes Solution", Volek & Phinney "Low Carbohydrate Guide", Gretchen Becker's "Type 2" (can't remember the full title).  Also, Living LaVida LoCarb (Jimmy Moore).

Best wishes to all on their path to better health and blood glucose!

Frequent Contributor

I forgot to add that my post was in reply to Debzzz on 1-27-16 .  She has the right idea.

Type 2's are intolerant of carbs, all one has to do is eat pasta, potatoe, bread or cereal and test their b.g. prior to eating and then one and two hours after.  Log your numbers and see how a meal without the carbs compares.

I followed the dietician's advice when I was dx. 12 years ago and finally realized their idea of over 160 carbs per day didn't work for me.  Two years of struggling with what I was taught led me to Dr. Bernstein's method and now I follow his plan with some low carb items added. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Toppers

I follow several very prominent registered dietitians within the plant-based world:

Jill Nussinow, MS, RD

They also educate many diabetics about this way of eating so they can drastically reduce their medication & eliminate this condition permanently just by following a LFWFPB diet. 

Hi @sidsmom,

I am talking about a personal consultation with a registered dietician or nutritionist, where someone meets and consults one-on-one with them.

I am not referring to someone who writes information in a book or cookbook for the general population. I think that's fine for general informarion.

However, it hasn't been personalized for me, and what I need, as they don't know me, or my personal background or my medical history, needs, etc. In my opinion, "one size does not fit all."

I personally would prefer to refer to a cookbook after I had a diet drawn up for me, and I then needed some kind of recipes or ideas for guidelines.

That would be my own personal preference, as that is what I tend to do, anyway. Smiley Happy

A dietician/nutritionist that a patient consults with will write out and tailor a specific diet plan to a patient's specific lifestyle and medical history/needs, and so on.

They will make sure that a person is getting what they need in their diet.

The diet is tailor-made specifically and personally for that particular patient, and their dietary needs. 

Perhaps you did not realize that a patient can be referred to a dietician for different/various health reasons, and not just diabetes.

Anyway, I'm going to bow out of this conversation now, since we just tend to keep going "around in circles" with it.

There seems to be this tendency to misconstrue or misunderstand what I post.

I then come back and feel that I have to explain myself again, and I really don't want to have to keep doing that. 

So, I'll end it by saying that I wish you well. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Toppers

I truly believe people want to make this difficult.  Like politics & religion, people are heels-dug-in-the-sand with their dietary habits.  Their parents ate a certain way, their grandparents ate a certain way, their friends eat like they do...and the dietary damage is just perpetuated throughout generations.

But for those people that make make the change....and I'm saying it can be very difficult at times...changes can be immediate....especially with diabetes, which is the focus of this thread.

People use the 'I'm a special snowflake' excuse to not take responsiblity & action for their illness.  People will continue to 'layer' their reasons why they can't lower their BS or why they're on Meds forever.  Now it's not getting the personalized information or special diet or unicorn cookbook for me, the Special Snowflake.   I would rather read & listen to an author of a book/video who will heal me....than to shake hands with someone who will keep me on medication for the rest of my life. I don't know...I'm funny about that.  I want to get and stay healthy.

There's no specific blood, specific lungs, specific muscles, specific organs. If a cardiologist cut us open, we would all look alike...race, gender, ethnicity.  And treatment for many of today's illnesses are treated alike, as well.

Diabetes.  Makes me sad that so many people don't get it.  And I AM passionate about since I have friends that have CURED their diabetes.  Normal BS & biomarkers for years after introducing a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet.

Dr. Michael Greger (video below) has the passion I wish to convey, at times.   At the end of the day, "Keep doing the same thing & you'll keep getting the same results."

http://youtu.be/es4PFR5GZTY

@Toppers  Thank you for your nice sentiment.  I, too, wish you well.

Honored Contributor

@Toppers wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Toppers

Jill Nussinow, MS, RD

Hi @sidsmom,

I am talking about a personal consultation with a registered dietician or nutritionist, where someone meets and consults one-on-one with them.

I am not referring to someone who writes information in a book or cookbook for the general population. I think that's fine for general informarion.

However, it hasn't been personalized for me, and what I need, as they don't know me, or my personal background or my medical history, needs, etc. In my opinion, "one size does not fit all."

I personally would prefer to refer to a cookbook after I had a diet drawn up for me, and I then needed some kind of recipes or ideas for guidelines.

That would be my own personal preference, as that is what I tend to do, anyway. Smiley Happy

A dietician/nutritionist that a patient consults with will write out and tailor a specific diet plan to a patient's specific lifestyle and medical history/needs, and so on.

They will make sure that a person is getting what they need in their diet.

The diet is tailor-made specifically and personally for that particular patient, and their dietary needs. 

Perhaps you did not realize that a patient can be referred to a dietician for different/various health reasons, and not just diabetes.

Anyway, I'm going to bow out of this conversation now, since we just tend to keep going "around in circles" with it.

There seems to be this tendency to misconstrue or misunderstand what I post.

I then come back and feel that I have to explain myself again, and I really don't want to have to keep doing that. 

So, I'll end it by saying that I wish you well. 

I totally agree with your perspective and live healthfully and comfortably by it. And yes, we all are UNIQUELY DIFFERENT.