Honored Contributor

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

The final class was today. It was the only one I was really interested to go to. It was about diet - finally. Then the dietitian came in and spent 30 min blowing her own horn telling us how qualified she was - then she gave us a book to read for an hour and for the final hour she answered questions and taught us how she wants us to read labels. That was it. I had to ask about 5 times before she finally told us how many grams of carbs, fats and protein we are supposed to eat per meal and snack. She wants us to eat 3 meals - 30 gm of carbs/meal and 5 snacks at 15gm of carbs a day. Well, first - how can someone who is working eat all these meals ? Not all jobs are spent sitting at a desk where you can grab a snack while you work. Heck, when I was working we had to beg someone to watch our patients so we could go out to the BR - let alone go to lunch - unheard of - or to leave 5 times to get a snack. So , even though i no longer do work, I found the thought of stopping to eat 8 times a day to be very unrealistic. That you can not go more than 2 1/2 hours without food. The absolute final thing you are to do before you go to bed is eat a snack. then jump rioght into bed. It seems clear to me that if you have to eat this often - they are not allowing you enough to eat each time, because you should not have to eat this often. Anyway, in the end you eat 150gm of carbs/day, 50gm of fats, 1500mg of salt (less than a tsp) and try to get some fiber in as much as you can. I am planning to figure it out on my own and just use those daily totals as my guide - because i am not eating 8 times a day !!! i will do 50m gm of carbs 3 times a day and actually be satisfied with my meal, and get the same carb load.

That recommended carb load is insane, but I ran into the same thing with diabetes educator-dieticians 5-6 years ago. They were behind the times then and they are still. There are many factors involved in a diabetic's diet, but IMO the most important is LOW CARB, and the "recommended" carbs by some of these organizations/people is the same as the average non-diabetic.

We all know every diabetic body is different, but when I went low carb I lost 60 lbs. amazingly fast and my A1c dropped like a stone. I didn't do ANYTHING else.

Now, there is low carb and there is low carb. I could never get behind the 15-30 grams or less PER DAY camp some brag about doing, but I do watch my carbs per meal and snacks. I was taught that 15 grams or less is a "freebie" for many type 2s, i.e. a snack of that load would not adversely affect blood sugar. So I don't eat snacks that are over 18 gm. I try to limit my carbs to 25-30 per meal or less; breakfast is easy to do less.

I also look for fiber. My breads and cereals are full of fiber. For many type 2s, for every gram of fiber you can "deduct" a gram of carbs as far as blood sugar. If a slice of bread has 18 gm of carbs and 6 gm of fibers, for many if not most type 2s that means your body will react as if it was 12 grams of carbs. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Loripta wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@Lucky Charm

Before you eliminate vegetable oils from your diet, try to do some reading about the role of vegetable oils in helping the body produce the very material necessary to reduce cholesterol and sustain health.  

When reducing cholesterol became the method of choice for controlling heart disease, as well as the low fat diet in the early to mid 1980s, there was an interesting side effect. That was when a drastic increase in Type 2 DM and Alzheimer's occurred . 

There are so many red flags with this statement..especially the reducing cholesterol comment, it would take too long to address, but 2 HUGE red flags stand out the most with the low-fat comment:

1. Low fat diets of the 80s-90s were NOT low fat. People pat themselves on the back by reducing their fat intake to 20-30% of total calories THINKING they were low fat. 20+% of your dietary calories in fat is NOT low fat. Never has been, never will be. 20+% is still considered a higher fat diet. If one is trying to ward off illness, ESPECIALLY T2 diabetes with 20% fat, you're not going to be successful.

Why can't people see the connection?

2. '..low fat diet in the early to mid 1980s'...and really into the 90's. The 90's brought on a new marketing beginning for Atkins. Then the 2000's to current, Paleo & Primal/Cavemen eating got a foothold. Both with a strong emphasis in animal product & high fat foods.

This way of animal-high fat eating has been going on for 30 years. THIRTY YEARS!  Everyone is so quick to 'blame' the Snackwell Years for today's obesity problem, heart disease problem and T2 diabetic epidemic. The public has had THIRTY YEARS to fix!! 

NEWSFLASH: Your animal high fat diet is not working!! Everyone is still fat and/or sick.   If the animal, high fat diet worked so well, why is everyone still sick?!

Other things that make me SMH... all these 'diabetic forms' for T2 diabetics. I ventured over there & typed in low fat in their search function. Literally no threads about how low fat works. Why? For those T2 diabetic people adopting a low fat diet, they are no longer diabetic! They don't need these forums.

Other thing...all the sick T2 diabetic people are THINKING they're 'healthy'...and can rattle off their BS numbers & this fasting number & that carb intake number. NEWSFLASH: if you have to manage, eat & take copious amounts of medication for your illness, you're still sick!!

Why can't people see the connection?!

If left isn't working, go right.
If no isn't working, say yes.
If a low carb, high fat diet keeps you sick, then go opposite for health.

Posters on our forum talking about T2 diabetes are quick to say I'm crazy or I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't have the sickness they have. NEWSFLASH: I'm not sick! I should be what everyone with T2 diabetes aspires to be like! Do what I'm doing & you'll not be sick.

I come on to these threads to educate. But 99% of the others posting on these threads are sick & unhealthy & just want to commiserate with other sick, unhealthy people. Sick people like to hang out with sick people. Sick people want to hear good things about their bad habits.

There's SO MUCH mis-information out there. People are making alot of money from you. It's shocking how everyone sick & unhealthy are being sold a bundle of bad goods.

Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based diet will dramatically help and/or CURE your T2 diabetes forever. Plain & simple. It's not rocket science. It's all about the food.  

I can pick up the phone right now & call personal friends of mine that were on insulin for years...they changed their diet, changed their lifestyle & threw away their blood monitors...forever.  They are no longer diabetic.   Maybe that's why I'm so passionate to keep talking about this.  CHANGES CAN BE MADE. 

Honored Contributor

image.gif

Occasional Contributor

Eating coconut oil, butter and other types of high quality saturated fat should be in tandem with a reduction in carbohydrates, gluten and sugar- not in addition to....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Loripta wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@Lucky Charm

Before you eliminate vegetable oils from your diet, try to do some reading about the role of vegetable oils in helping the body produce the very material necessary to reduce cholesterol and sustain health.  

When reducing cholesterol became the method of choice for controlling heart disease, as well as the low fat diet in the early to mid 1980s, there was an interesting side effect. That was when a drastic increase in Type 2 DM and Alzheimer's occurred . 

There are so many red flags with this statement..especially the reducing cholesterol comment, it would take too long to address, but 2 HUGE red flags stand out the most with the low-fat comment:

1. Low fat diets of the 80s-90s were NOT low fat. People pat themselves on the back by reducing their fat intake to 20-30% of total calories THINKING they were low fat. 20+% of your dietary calories in fat is NOT low fat. Never has been, never will be. 20+% is still considered a higher fat diet. If one is trying to ward off illness, ESPECIALLY T2 diabetes with 20% fat, you're not going to be successful.

2. '..low fat diet in the early to mid 1980s'...and really into the 90's. The 90's brought on a new marketing beginning for Atkins. Then the 2000's to current, Paleo & Primal/Cavemen eating got a foothold. Both with a strong emphasis in animal product & high fat foods.

This way of animal-high fat eating has been going on for 30 years. THIRTY YEARS!  Everyone is so quick to 'blame' the Snackwell Years for today's obesity problem, heart disease problem and T2 diabetic epidemic. The public has had THIRTY YEARS to fix!! 

NEWSFLASH: Your animal high fat diet is not working!! Everyone is still fat and/or sick.   If the animal, high fat diet worked so well, why is everyone still sick?!

Other things that make me SMH... all these 'diabetic forms' for T2 diabetics. I ventured over there & typed in low fat in their search function. Literally no threads about how low fat works. Why? For those T2 diabetic people adopting a low fat diet, they are no longer diabetic! They don't need these forums.

Other thing...all the sick T2 diabetic people are THINKING they're 'healthy'...and can rattle off their BS numbers & this fasting number & that carb intake number. NEWSFLASH: if you have to manage, eat & take copious amounts of medication for your illness, you're still sick!!

Posters on our forum talking about T2 diabetes are quick to say I'm crazy or I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't have the sickness they have. NEWSFLASH: I'm not sick! I should be what everyone with T2 diabetes aspires to be like! Do what I'm doing & you'll not be sick.

I come on to these threads to educate. But 99% of the others posting on these threads are sick & unhealthy & just want to commiserate with other sick, unhealthy people. Sick people like to hang out with sick people. Sick people want to hear good things about their bad habits.

There's SO MUCH mis-information out there. People are making alot of money from you. It's shocking how everyone sick & unhealthy are being sold a bundle of bad goods.

Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based diet will dramatically help and/or CURE your T2 diabetes forever. Plain & simple. It's not rocket science. It's all about the food.  

I can pick up the phone right now & call personal friends of mine that were on insulin for years...they changed their diet, changed their lifestyle & threw away their blood monitors...forever.  They are no longer diabetic.   Maybe that's why I'm so passionate to keep talking about this.  CHANGES CAN BE MADE. 

You say that you come on here because you want to educate people.

I personally don't think that it's your personal place to do that here, especially when it comes to people with special dietary and medical needs. We do not have licenses here to practice medicine. 

Perhaps you don't realize that many diabetics already see a certified Nutritionist, Registered Dietician, and/or a Diabetic Nurse Educator when they are newly diagnosed. Our fellow member 15 shared her classroom experience. 

Others may go and meet personally in a one-on-one classroom situation instead of a group, to have a personalized diet plan made up for them by the above mentioned hospital staff.

If they are not the diabetic and another family member is, then they may go with their family member to those diabetic meetings to offer support to their family member.

I think that you need to give the people posting here, credit too. From what I am reading/seeing on this thread, people are sharing info./personal experiences.

I don't think it's helpful to anyone to say things like, "sick people like to hang out with sick people." I think that comments like that are insensitive to others. 

I don't mind reading about other's personal experiences here on the forum when it comes to medical issues and situations, and I don't mind sharing what I know when it comes to my own personal experiences, too, if it can help someone else. 

However, there is a lot of misinformation that gets posted on this forum, too.

If someone has a medical issue, I personal believe that they should be consulting with their health care provider's office, anyway.

Honored Contributor

Something we haven't discussed much as yet is the effect of PAIN/STRESS on Diabetics..  On those who have kept their diet in strict control.  Diet extremely low in saturated fats, cholesterol, no sugars or white/simple carbs, low complex carbs.... and numbers in control suddenly going high because of pain..... which in turn causes physical stress.

I know from first hand experience that this can happen and it happened just recently from the pinched nerve I have in my neck from the fall I sustained in 2010....  Hardly eating for a couple of days ~at all~ (and when I did it was broth soup with vegetables) and my numbers rarely went below 180 - 200.

This went away in a couple of days and I'm now back to my normal numbers which are in line with being "in control".  I'm also back to eating my normal food (normal for me!) .

IF Diabetes were totally dependent on food, what we eat and do not eat, then stress or pain would have NO EFFECT  on our numbers.  ALSO, if Diabetes were totally dependent on food, my numbers should have been below normal as I hardly ate at all for those two days.

The oversimplification of Diabetes from those who do not have it, do not live with it and take the advice of Doctors who also do not have it and have ONLY studied it without any personal involvement in order to sell scads of books on a lifestyle that gives many people with Diabetes the absolute wrong information frightens me on several levels.

Sidsmom, I wish you the best, I really do, but your prattling off what you've blindly read and believe to be gospel from these so called experts is simply dangerous when you give this advice to anyone first embarking on this journey.   Finding one of your authors on Quack.com really gave me pause..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

In addition to pain and stress, high temperatures can also affect BS. When I'm out in temps above 90 for several days, I go high even with plenty of fluids.

Valued Contributor

@Toppers wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Loripta wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@Lucky Charm

You say that you come on here because you want to educate people.

I personally don't think that it's your personal place to do that here, especially when it comes to people with special dietary and medical needs. We do not have licenses here to practice medicine. 

Perhaps you don't realize that many diabetics already see a certified Nutritionist, Registered Dietician, and/or a Diabetic Nurse Educator when they are newly diagnosed. Our fellow member 15 shared her classroom experience. 

Others may go and meet personally in a one-on-one classroom situation instead of a group, to have a personalized diet plan made up for them by the above mentioned hospital staff.

If they are not the diabetic and another family member is, then they may go with their family member to those diabetic meetings to offer support to their family member.

I think that you need to give the people posting here, credit too. From what I am reading/seeing on this thread, people are sharing info./personal experiences.

I don't think it's helpful to anyone to say things like, "sick people like to hang out with sick people." I think that comments like that are insensitive to others. 

I don't mind reading about other's personal experiences here on the forum when it comes to medical issues and situations, and I don't mind sharing what I know when it comes to my own personal experiences, too, if it can help someone else. 

However, there is a lot of misinformation that gets posted on this forum, too.

If someone has a medical issue, I personal believe that they should be consulting with their health care provider's office, anyway.

She actually believes she has the answer to everything as far as diet goes. She's not an EXPERT and probably has no experience as a nutritionist.

Honored Contributor

@

@italia8140 wrote:

@Toppers wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Loripta wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@Lucky Charm

She actually believes she has the answer to everything as far as diet goes. She's not an EXPERT and probably has no experience as a nutritionist.

Thank you for resurrecting an old 'Page 2'/'Page 3' Wellness thread.

I kinda feel like Carrie Bradshaw.

Y'all always come sniffing me out.

Thread is yesterday's news.

image.jpeg

Valued Contributor