Trusted Contributor

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

@151949 wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

@151949 wrote:

The final class was today. It was the only one I was really interested to go to. It was about diet - finally. Then the dietitian came in and spent 30 min blowing her own horn telling us how qualified she was - then she gave us a book to read for an hour and for the final hour she answered questions and taught us how she wants us to read labels. That was it. I had to ask about 5 times before she finally told us how many grams of carbs, fats and protein we are supposed to eat per meal and snack. She wants us to eat 3 meals - 30 gm of carbs/meal and 5 snacks at 15gm of carbs a day. Well, first - how can someone who is working eat all these meals ? Not all jobs are spent sitting at a desk where you can grab a snack while you work. Heck, when I was working we had to beg someone to watch our patients so we could go out to the BR - let alone go to lunch - unheard of - or to leave 5 times to get a snack. So , even though i no longer do work, I found the thought of stopping to eat 8 times a day to be very unrealistic. That you can not go more than 2 1/2 hours without food. The absolute final thing you are to do before you go to bed is eat a snack. then jump rioght into bed. It seems clear to me that if you have to eat this often - they are not allowing you enough to eat each time, because you should not have to eat this often. Anyway, in the end you eat 150gm of carbs/day, 50gm of fats, 1500mg of salt (less than a tsp) and try to get some fiber in as much as you can. I am planning to figure it out on my own and just use those daily totals as my guide - because i am not eating 8 times a day !!! i will do 50m gm of carbs 3 times a day and actually be satisfied with my meal, and get the same carb load.

@151949 Did she give you an overall calorie count per day - and gms of protein?

How are you doing so far?

No - she did not give a calorie count or protein count just 1500mg of sodium - 50 gm of fat (I already only eat 40 gm of fat) and the carbs are broken up into 30 gm /meal and 15 gm per snack - you are not allowed to save from a snack though and have 45 gm later for a meal. So in the end it is 165 gm/day of carbs with 3 meals and 5 snacks but they MUST be eaten as she outlined, which I do not understand. 

I especially don't understand it because my medication is a 24 hour timed release so I have the same med in my blood 24 hr a day - even while i sleep - and she had no reason to offer WHY we have to eat by her rules and at her times. I intend to figure it out on my own.

Thanks for the response.  I will admit, no way could I eat eight times a day.  

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

This is a good explanation of the cause of diabetes.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-causes-diabetes/

It depends on the TYPE of fat.  Saturated fat found in animal products is harmful within a diet, especially a diabetic diet.  40 grams....unless you're consuming close to 3,000 total calories per day, 40 grams of fat is way too high.  

Remove the the dietary fat & less & less, if not all, insulin will be used.

Note: Responses are for Type 2 Diabetes discussion.   

@sidsmom--i looked at the link (was so suprised that cinamon=no good).  Lots of great info, i bookmarked it.  

Anyways, I have cut most (olive) oil out of my diet.  (You kept saying how bad it was for our endothelium system.)  I thought it was supposed to be an important part of our diet (mediteranean).  Then I realized all my (Italian born) side of family suffers/suffered from heart disease/conditions.  All of them in one form or another!

@Lucky Charm

Sorry I missed this post!  I'm so happy you're on the path of good health.  It's not too late to make heart-healthy changes!

Yes, disease is "generational"...BUT not what everyone thinks.

GrandMeMa had heart disease & diabetes, but used lard.

MeeMa had heart disease & diabetes, but used butter.

Mom has heart disease & diabetes, but uses margarine.

We have heart disease & diabetes, but use olive/coconut oil.

It's not genetic or in-the-blood...it's about the food.

And if someone is heels-dug-in-the-sand sure its genetics, than nutritional is even MORE important!  

There's a saying, "Genetics loads the gun; Nutrition pulls the trigger".

Break the cycle.

Yes, olive oil is so incredibly harmful.

It's processed, very calorie dense, nutritionally deficient, adds zero taste...and it harms the Endothelium which is the safe-guard for heart health.

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn has an amazing lecture *free* on YouTube explaining the purpose of the Endothelium and the importance for keeping it happy & healthy.  Hope you glean the same knowledge which opened my eyes.

http://youtu.be/nPeLgcyJ2Y8

Frequent Contributor

I think the American heart association has a diet plan that helps prevent diabetes among those who have predisbetes. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Are you including beverages in your 8 meals/snacks per day? I think people drink/eat besides meals and don't realize it. If you drink juice, creamed coffee, etc. that counts towards your daily limit. How many times do you grab a cookie or pretzel during the day? This kind of eating is part of the SAD,( Standaard American Diet).

I don't think it would be that hard to condition yourself to  follow the proper dietary recommendations.

Don't forget that other people have to constantly watch what they eat. People with GI disorders, allergies, etc.. It can be done.

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

151, it's a shocker-you just described my dinner or lunch....I couldn't believe that I could exist on such a small amount of protein-but I do! It can be done- and be enjoyable.  We 're used to meat being the star, but it's role for us is a supporting actor. Non-starchy vegetables are in the spotlight. 

Speaking of Brewer's yeast, I love the stuff and I use it frequently as a stand in for cheddar cheese on steamed vegetables.

@Poodlepet2

Yay!  That'sWhatI'mTalkin'About!  Every food on Earth has a mix of Protein/Fat/Carb, so we get plenty of protein without adding copious amounts of animal.  Protein deficiency is almost unheard of in advanced countries.  The fascination Americans have with protein is so over-the-top & not needed.  

Brewer's yeast, aka nutritional yeast...or what we like to call 'Nooch' is yummy, indeed!  

Trusted Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

Are you including beverages in your 8 meals/snacks per day? I think people drink/eat besides meals and don't realize it. If you drink juice, creamed coffee, etc. that counts towards your daily limit. How many times do you grab a cookie or pretzel during the day? This kind of eating is part of the SAD,( Standaard American Diet).

I don't think it would be that hard to condition yourself to  follow the proper dietary recommendations.

Don't forget that other people have to constantly watch what they eat. People with GI disorders, allergies, etc.. It can be done.

Between meals I drink water and plain tea (and I'd better duck here) black coffee at work.  

Do the math.
Trusted Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

@Lacey1 wrote:

Between meals I drink water and plain tea (and I'd better duck here) black coffee at work.  

Good for you!

Trusted Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

@Lacey1 wrote:

Good for you!

But you are right Lacey, I had to pay attention and make a habit of not grabbing prezels and the like at work. 

Do the math.
Occasional Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@Lucky Charm

Before you eliminate vegetable oils from your diet, try to do some reading about the role of vegetable oils in helping the body produce the very material necessary to reduce cholesterol and sustain health. 

When reducing cholesterol became the method of choice for controlling heart disease, as well as the low fat diet in the early to mid 1980s, there was an interesting side effect. That was when a drastic increase in Type 2 DM and Alzheimer's occurred . 

Guess what your brain uses for food? Cholesterol. Read the book Grain Brain and enjoy healthy fats.

Super Contributor

Interesting thread.

Many suffer. :-(

YET we have a goverment that allows false labeling on products INTENTIONALLY. :-(

Depending on what TV channel you watch, and the time of day, the pharmaceutical commercials are NON STOP (the warnings are as long as the commercial)

Good luck to all

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK