Honored Contributor

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

IMO - the consumption and enjoyment of food is one of the gifts God gave us on this earth and to completely take away that joy is a sin. To make someone feel like they have to feel guilty for eating a reasonably normal amount of food - for instance one cup of soup - should not be how our medical community deals with this disease.

I learned a lot during the other days of this class but I found the dietary part to be just totally unreasonable.

Trusted Contributor

If I only had one kidney, and a medical background-I would make managing my diabetes  my primary concern. Much more important than pleasure!

Hey Sidsmom- good try. At least you got her to spell it correctly!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949

I'm sorry and don't mean to start an argument, but God's gifts probably did not include poor eating habits and defiance of everything that is known about maintaining weight and health. Man has given HIMSELF those "gifts".  No one needs to feel the "guilt" that you speak of, but it's not that hard to adjust to a new way of life if one's life depends on it

My cousin who was born the same year I was (and looked almost like my twin until we reached college-age) died several years ago from diabetes.   She first lost her eyesight in her 40s and eventually gave up the ghost in her early 60s because of diabetes.  In fact, her mom and dad died of diabetic complications, too, and my other cousin (her brother) lives with the disease today.    That entire segment of my family was/is overweight, ate recklessly and probably didn't get the medical supervision they should have had.

No other close relatives (including many cousins of mine) seem to have the same lifestyle or the same problems.  That might sound weird to people who think diabetes or weight gain is tied to genetics.

Honored Contributor

O/P--Is your husband also diabetic?  Maybe I'm confusing you with another poster.  If not, and he is, how has he been managing?

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

IMO - the consumption and enjoyment of food is one of the gifts God gave us on this earth and to completely take away that joy is a sin. To make someone feel like they have to feel guilty for eating a reasonably normal amount of food - for instance one cup of soup - should not be how our medical community deals with this disease.

I learned a lot during the other days of this class but I found the dietary part to be just totally unreasonable.

As I ALWAYS say, I think we each individually have the job of seeking out what works for us, because YES I AM A SNOWFLAKE, and need to do (and eat!) whatever is healthy for ME. The foods I eat now are delicious and satisfying,and although I DO substitute some foods for others that I would have eaten in the past, I enjoy my meals even more than previously.

I am sorry that you believe that if one is eating for health they must feel a sense of "guilt"or deprvation. Since I have been eating solely for the purpose of nourishing my body, lowering my blood pressure, lowering my blood sugar, and losing weight, I have had far fewer negative feelings about food and eating than I did when I as eating everything in sight, so no guilt or remorse about giving up refined foods or salt.

If I couldn't have my morning coffee, I might have some qualms, but IMO AND JUST FOR MYSELF, nothing is deprivation when it's directing me towards feeling better healthwise.

"Unreasonable" TO ME is putting something in my mouth that won't help MY body work better.

I hope all the decisions you choose to make for yourself work perfectly for you!!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

N/M

Respected Contributor

151, I know where you are coming from: believe me-I scoffed at my diet initially: 1200 itty bitty calories and limits on everything: five ounces of protein for an entire day???? My reality, however was that I had been low-carbing on and off for years....and it certainly wasn't working for me. I swallowed hard and said "All right: I will follow this stupid diet and keep detailed records of what I eat so I can prove my doctor wrong" A funny thing happened....eating, initially was not enjoyable and it felt like a chore BUT I immediately noticed I was no longer constantly hungry or craving junk. Seeing my numbers go down on the scale and my glucose meter was inspiring to me to stay with it. Oh, I fought those silly little portions, but it hit me: this is the way we are all supposed to be eating. One morning I was watching Joy Bauer , the RD on The Today show-I realized I was following all of her advice and it was paying off.....and cooking and eating became creative and fun again. One of the things that Joy emphasises is FIBER is your friend-and it really is.  When the weather is warm, salad can make a fantastic meal. I use "light" dressings (my standards are around 45 calories per two tablespoons and no more than five gms of sugar. I adore Newman's Light Seseme Ginger).  When it's nippy, I switch to roasted vegetables and soups.....you really need to explore the wonders of cauliflower: from the Paleolithic people, I learned to make pizza crust, bread sticks and fried "rice" with it's  very versatile veggie. There are so many ways to really enjoy vegetables and that's what I rely on to fill me up. When it comes to beans, they don't affect my glucose, and if your body can handle half a cup, you can have more. Testing everything you eat over the next couple of weeks is going to give you some great information. I love pasta and I "dilute" it with spiralized zucchini, but I found that a half cup left me feeling hungry, but so did th full cup. Why? I could not handle those carbs: not to dispair: there are some great lower carb pastas out there that taste great and are high in fiber. Carbnada is one of my favorites. I still limit my portion to two ounces and my glucose doesn't spike then crash. It's going to take a little time: I think you are still "digesting" your new diagnosis-you are entitled. As a nurse, you know what it's like for patients-be kind to yourself.

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

I doubt that the OP will respond to this thread anymore. She doesn't like to be corrected, or offered advice. However, there were many helpful tips presented, here. I'm sure someone was able to gain something.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@151949 wrote:

And she suggested that when your blood sugar is low beer is a great way to bring it up quickly.

Oh. 

My.

God.

There are so many levels of wrong up to this point, but this last sentence pushed it into the stratosphere of disbelief.  And it's amazing my protocol of a clean, plant diet is shut down....but yet we listen to this misinformation.  SMH. 

Actually we are the ones in the stratosphere of disbelief reading your posts..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Many things have been posted here lately that look profoundly both true and false to me, based on things I saw published MANY years ago (no "New Age" food  fads here!)

Advising a diabetic to occasionally drink beer or wine makes some sense, if one reads up on the nutrients and value of brewer's yeast, which I suppose is used to brew beer.  Wine has long been known to "deaden" a voracious appetite, and grapes from which wine is made contain their own nutrients that our bodies can use.

Recommending that a diabetic eat many small meals per day has been around forever, too.  The "three-meal-per-day" tradition  is a modern idea that evolved to suit the busy schedules of modern people--not to mention the easy availability of large food quantities.  Ancient humans nibbled or grazed on whatever food they could hunt or forage for, all day long.

Insisting on a "plant-based diet" ignores what might be present or totally absent from  soil in which all this plant food is grown.  Soil conditions and contents vary not only regionally in the U.S. but around the world.  Too many known and unknown nutrients exist that support human health, metabolism, and most importantly, insulin production and control.  Where are we going to get them all in adequate amounts?  Certainly not by shutting out entire food groups from our diets. 

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR FOOD IS GROWN...AND IN EXACTLY WHAT AND HOW?  Of course, you don't.

That's why I support tuning out the shrill voices of opinionated people who write, sell  (and buy) the "best-selling" books that come out about nutrition and health. NOBODY knows EVERYTHING  about how EVERYONE-- EVERYWHERE-- should eat for every occasion.

I  firmly believe that the safest thing a person can do is eat from all food groups in moderation.  A diet plan prohibiting just four ounces of lean meat, fish or fowl per day could cost a person's body some very important vitamins and minerals that  interact with one another and other foods to maintain life. 

To get the same amount of complete protein, iron, zinc, selenium, chromium, etc,., from that little serving of meat by eating the incomplete proteins contained in  plants, one would have to pile a plate very high with starchy grains, beans,  greens and other foods that might help but are no more a complete and healthful diet than anything else we can consume. 

Humans are born  omnivores who have survived all this time eating both plant and animal foods.  I'd like to see a vegetarian try to convince a carnivorous lion or tiger that he should convert to eating  only plants.  I suspect the vegetarian would be devoured on  the spot.

I am willing to provide a stamped, self-addressed envelope to any plant-food fanatic and have them mail it to my grave when they prove they outlived me.  My diet might not be any more complete than theirs, but I'm hedging my bets by eating some of EVERY type of food.  And I wouldn't totally discount advice from a credentialed  professional who is supposed to be helping me combat a diagnosed disease.

This~! Excellent.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*