Respected Contributor

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

What happened to the "Ignore User" Sidsmom I respect your opinions, but enough is enough! You are accomplishing nothing and just inflaming...you are not walking in our shoes, and what do you understand?  years ago , Dr. McDougall or whatever his name is, was touting rice milk and potatoes as dietary saviors... I followed it for about three months and not only gained weight, but my LDLs shot up........we, who are diabetics here, are listening to our doctors and Registered Dietitians.....that's all I can say. I wish you the best, but just stop the harassment; we are all dealing  with major life-changing issues, and I am tired of reading your +rap....none of us wants to be here, but you do keep inflaming...connect with absolute vegans, but stop being so insulting....

Poodlepet2

What I find funny is that my sister is a vegan, perfect weight for her height as well as on target BMI.  She walks at least 5 miles a day regardless of the weather.  She's NEVER been overweight and hasn't had any meat or dairy for at least 10 years.  She's T2D and her numbers aren't as good as mine and like Sidsmom, she refuses to listen.

Respected Contributor

You can eat those wonderfully-on occasion, but you still need to be mindful about your A1c; ok overall carb consumption on the day you are planning your splurge...the big question is, where are your numbers running? Does any particular ingredient cause you problems?  The question I always ask myself is, "is this worth sacrificing my eye-sight, hands or feet for? ...I just might wait to get home and have a "safe" treat"

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Can someone who is on meds for T2D eat a bowl of ice cream or have something sweet once a day?

I realize it's not about just sugary delights, but can you eat these things once on the meds?

Also, has anyone had any bad side effects from any of the medications?

Depending on the medication, yes, there are side effects while you get used to them but no side effects directly related to what you're eating and the meds..

Actually, I've not had real sweets in such a long time that I don't miss them anymore. In the beginning I had No Sugar Added ice cream once in awhile, but be careful of that because there is real sugar in it and milk (which also has sugar in it)...  but it also has artificial sweeteners in it and you'll get a reaction from that if you eat too much.

I have a sugar-free Russell Stover's little turtle in dark chocolate but never more than two and I don't have them often  .... I really don't miss sweets now at all, and would rather have a couple of strawberries, which taste wonderful! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Knowledge is power.  Lots of people out there selling "cures" for Type 2 diabetes.  WRONG.  To date there has been only ONE THING that has been shown to actually cure T2D and they don't know why!  That's gastric bypass surgery.

If you encounter someone, anyone, who says they will "cure" your diabetes they're lying.  Yes, lying.  You can MANAGE your diabetes, but you are not cured.  You can never go back to eating without thinking and monitoring what you eat, when you eat.  Don't let anyone tell you that you LIKE being sick and try to guilt you into what they are selling.

Trusted Contributor

My DH has Type 2 Diabetes.  I initially sent him to the doctor because he was losing weight very quickly and urinating frequently. When he was first diagnosed, I had him monitor himself all the time to determine what types of foods caused his sugar to spike, so he could avoid them.  That did help somewhat.  He takes Metaforin (sp?), (which I read has side benefits). Life Extension has been writing about the benefits of Metaforin for years. DH also takes B12.   His  blood tests have been good.  The doctor recently wanted to switch him to a new diabetes medication.  I looked up the side effects, and that was a big fat NO, so he's staying on the Metaforin.  

BTW, I eat a lot of vegtables and fish, and my fasting blood sugar is usually in the low 70's. 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

Q4, I have already thought about all of these "wonder drugs"......I have already made the decision that I will not take any medication-diabetes related-less than 20 years old and I will not take once a week anything. I would rather "tighten up" my diet and take  couple of dose of insulin....that's the way it was done in the old days.....we, who are of a certain age have seen this happen with so many drugs: Today's wonder drug is tomorrow's nightmare.....

This is a PS to the ice cream topic....I have found that when it comes to carbs and fat, some of the reduced-calorie no sugar added varieties have only slightly lower carb and calories than their non_dietetic counterparts. I did find a brand of frozen dessert that agrees with me and doesn't drive up my post-prandial. Enlighten is a brand worth trying-and it even has a little fiber in it.  Better Homes and Gardens also has some great diabetic recipe publications that are very much worth purchasing and are real crowd pleases.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana thank you so much for responding.

My BIL (like a brother to me) has come up as 'pre-diabetic', his fasting sugar was high and he was just under the A1C test.  They want to test him again to see if he's gone 'over'. 

My sister is trying to get him to understand the seriousness of it.  He had 2 uncles that had diabetes and never took meds, they ate, drank and lived a good life (as far as they were concerned).  (One died in his 70s, (cancer), the other is still alive (had cancer).

She had him get an OTC tester and his numbers she said are 'okay'.  She freaked one time I remember because he finished off the bowl of Halloween candy and his numbers were in the 170's the NEXT DAY!

I'd never given diabetes a thought before.  When I switched doctors last summer, the new dr. had me tested for AIC and I was within range.  I believe it was the first time I've ever been tested.  (BS was always tested, I think.)

So I just ordered the first book you mentioned off of Ebay. ($3!)  I'll also suggest the second book to her, too.  Not sure which one it is.

THANK YOU!

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Q4, I have already thought about all of these "wonder drugs"......I have already made the decision that I will not take any medication-diabetes related-less than 20 years old and I will not take once a week anything. I would rather "tighten up" my diet and take  couple of dose of insulin....that's the way it was done in the old days.....we, who are of a certain age have seen this happen with so many drugs: Today's wonder drug is tomorrow's nightmare.....

This is a PS to the ice cream topic....I have found that when it comes to carbs and fat, some of the reduced-calorie no sugar added varieties have only slightly lower carb and calories than their non_dietetic counterparts. I did find a brand of frozen dessert that agrees with me and doesn't drive up my post-prandial. Enlighten is a brand worth trying-and it even has a little fiber in it.  Better Homes and Gardens also has some great diabetic recipe publications that are very much worth purchasing and are real crowd pleases.

Poodlepet2

I agree regarding the new meds... the drug companies are "mass testing" these products on the public while they get their profits (Januvia was $120 while Glipiside is only about $2.00 both for the same amount, 3 months and Metformin around $5.00)..... thank you but I'll also wait the ten-twenty years while the mass testing is going on.....

The thing about Diabetes is that everyone is different.  I have a major raise in BS when I drink milk.  I actually use non-fat milk to raise my BS when they get too low and I'm feeling bad (like some use Orange Juice)..  During those times (doesn't happen often) I can't eat anything or I'll vomit but have found that keeping NF milk around has been great for me and I ususally drink 1 cup and it really helps me....

Thanks for the info on Enlighten... Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Poodlepet2

I agree regarding the new meds... the drug companies are "mass testing" these products on the public while they get their profits (Januvia was $120 while Glipiside is only about $2.00 both for the same amount, 3 months and Metformin around $5.00).....  I'll also wait the ten-twenty years while the mass testing is going on.....

The thing about Diabetes is that everyone is different.  I have a major raise in BS when I drink milk.  I actually use non-fat milk to raise my BS when it gets too low and I'm feeling bad (like some use Orange Juice)..  During those times (doesn't happen often) I can't eat anything or I'll vomit but have found that keeping NF milk around has been great for me and I ususally drink 1 cup and it really helps me....

Thanks for the info on Enlighten... Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@Q4u - Yes indeed EVERYONE IS different and has different triggers.  I get angry, yes angry, when I read posts by people that speak in absolutes and try to claim that it's easy and you just don't want to be well.  GRRRRRRR.

We're all different as to how quickly our bodies react to what we eat as well.  If I had stuck to the recommended check your levels after 2 hours, I would never had seen how high my numbers did go.  I noticed my mood changes based on my blood sugar levels.  I noticed the changes starting earlier than the 2 hours so I started testing at 45 minutes after and every 15 minutes after that.  My spike was at about 1.5 hours and they were dropping quickly after that.

I strongly recommend a journal at least early on.  Make note of everything from how foods impact your blood sugar, your moods and temperament when your sugar is higher or lower than it should be and when your highs and lows are after eating to help you determine how often you should be eating.  You should be on a regular schedule, but that schedule has to fit YOU and not just the recommended schedule based on population averages.