Valued Contributor

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

Ok disclaimer I only read about half this thread due to time constraints but as a Type 2 diabetic who has taken their A1C from 9.3 to 5.8 I need to comment.

metformin and the standard diabetic diet got me to down to 7 something and my doctor was really pleased but I wanted to reverse it and take back my health, but the only way I found I could get there was by eating a low carb high fat diet. I also lost 45 lbs and counting with only a 20 minute dog walk daily on this diet. The truth of the matter is if you don't eat carbs or sugar your body uses fat for fuel. I don't know about anyone else just speaking for me. For more info on LCHF way of eating just google it, there is a lot of great information.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Honored Contributor

We have someone in our class who has these high AM numbers and they told him it is because he doesn't eat immediately before he goes to bed. His glucose drops too low during the night and that makes his liver release glucose which is still there in the mornings. She told him he needs to consume 15gm of carbs then immediately go to bed and she predicts he will have a lower glucose in the AM.15gm is about a half an apple, and even better if he has it with a hard boiled egg.

Honored Contributor

@Debzzz wrote:

Ok disclaimer I only read about half this thread due to time constraints but as a Type 2 diabetic who has taken their A1C from 9.3 to 5.8 I need to comment.

metformin and the standard diabetic diet got me to down to 7 something and my doctor was really pleased but I wanted to reverse it and take back my health, but the only way I found I could get there was by eating a low carb high fat diet. I also lost 45 lbs and counting with only a 20 minute dog walk daily on this diet. The truth of the matter is if you don't eat carbs or sugar your body uses fat for fuel. I don't know about anyone else just speaking for me. For more info on LCHF way of eating just google it, there is a lot of great information.

When you burn fat for energy because you aren't consuming any carbs it puts your body into an acidotic state which is very very bad for your internal organs.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@violann wrote:

Did anyone happen to ask what they would need to do to avoid using ANY of the diabetes medications?

Is that ever possible?

According to Sidsmom, her diet plan will get rid of anyone's diabetes.

You can not get rid of diabetes.  You can however control it and there are a myriad of ways to do that.  It is also a fallacy that you have to be overweight and eat a fatty diet to become a diabetic.  I know some very thin diabetics who have always exercised and eaten a well balance diet.  However, they have a genetic predisposition to diabetes as evidenced by the many others in their family tree that have it or have had it. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

This thread is Deja Vu, all over again!

@Lacey1

You're right.

But as long as people think of themselves as 'Special Snowflakes' & continue to think the only way to live is to pop pills, squeeze their fingers and punch needles in their sides every day for a condition which is preventable, I will continue to present an alternative.  

Most people find being sick is a more attractive option but allowing doctors to continuing practicing without even MENTIONING this way of eating for prevention is immoral. 

Honored Contributor

Sidsmom is taking Dr. Barnard's word as gospel, which is fine for Sidsmom but very interesting when you read this:

http://mdprevent.blogspot.com/2013/03/in-defense-of-fish-consumption.html

or this:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOURTS-dcd-1_06-cv-01393/pdf/USCOURTS-dcd-1_06-cv-01393-2.pdf

or this:

Listed on Quack Watch

Promoters of Questionable Methods & Advice 

http://quackwatch.org/11Ind/index.html

All I'm saying is that there is enough out there to be skeptical of Dr. Barnard, or at the very least to do enough research to fully understand what this doctor is saying AND his motives.  I believe he's sold 17 books, which tells me clearly what his motive in all this is......

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We have someone in our class who has these high AM numbers and they told him it is because he doesn't eat immediately before he goes to bed. His glucose drops too low during the night and that makes his liver release glucose which is still there in the mornings. She told him he needs to consume 15gm of carbs then immediately go to bed and she predicts he will have a lower glucose in the AM.15gm is about a half an apple, and even better if he has it with a hard boiled egg.

I've also done that and it's made no difference (for me) unfortunately....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

What happened to the "Ignore User" Sidsmom I respect your opinions, but enough is enough! You are accomplishing nothing and just inflaming...you are not walking in our shoes, and what do you understand?  years ago , Dr. McDougall or whatever his name is, was touting rice milk and potatoes as dietary saviors... I followed it for about three months and not only gained weight, but my LDLs shot up........we, who are diabetics here, are listening to our doctors and Registered Dietitians.....that's all I can say. I wish you the best, but just stop the harassment; we are all dealing  with major life-changing issues, and I am tired of reading your +rap....none of us wants to be here, but you do keep inflaming...connect with absolute vegans, but stop being so insulting....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Can someone who is on meds for T2D eat a bowl of ice cream or have something sweet once a day?

I realize it's not about just sugary delights, but can you eat these things once on the meds?

Also, has anyone had any bad side effects from any of the medications?

QVC Customer Care