Honored Contributor

Re: Some interesting diabetes facts I learned today.

Did anyone happen to ask what they would need to do to avoid using ANY of the diabetes medications?

Is that ever possible?

Honored Contributor

I believe in this class we are all past the stage of prediabetes and are all already on meds. They do not encourage the use of diet and exercise to control your disease without meds anymore because it is just too rigid and difficult - now they encourage the thought that you can be a diabetic and still have a full, happy and complete life. It would be almost extreme depravation to try to get FBS of <90 consistantly by diet and exercise alone, and our classes goal is an FBS of 75 to 90. It is a setup to fail considering the low FBS we are going for and an A1c of <6. 

Honored Contributor

@151949

I remember past posts of 'pre-diabetes' classes. A low-fat diet was proposed & I can remember weight loss results. In fact, I was your biggest cheerleader since low-fat was definitely agreeing with you! Yay!

Fast forward today & the current history of posts are completely different. The proposed pre-diabetic low-fat diet is not being use anymore. Weight gain has been posted, a full diabetes diagnosis and now drugs (Metformin) are being used. Just a steady regression of a lifetime dependence of drugs. Of course the medical field will tout their cherry-picked 'benefits' because Diabetes is a multi-billion dollar business.

We were having success with the previous diet. It's all about the food. I'm surprised the connection isn't made.  Why would someone want to take drugs for the rest of their life when the patient has the power to stop those medications?

I personal know dozens of friends who have removed ALL medication, diabetic Meds were the first to go, almost immediately switching to a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet. Changes are amazingly fast.

An overflowing sink is the diabetes.
Drugs/insulin is the mop.
Food turns off the faucet.

Continuing on this path of diabetic regression,

Dr. Phil will so famously say,

"How's that workin out for you?"

It's all about the food.
The right food.
It's so simple.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

Hi Violan! Good to see you here! One thing I've learned is that no two cases are ever exactly alike, and these days, the use of some type of medication is almost inevitable. There are a few who can go off medication, but it still means constant vigilance-and if you can go off medication, that won't be forever. The disease does change over time, and at most, what is within our control is diet and exercise- but sometimes that's not enough.  I thought for sure I would be taken off Metformin because my A1c is down to 5.1-which I am over the moon happy with! But, my doctor said it would be a better idea to stay on my once a day dose-and that's ok by me.....if that, and diet, and what little exercise I can do is keeping my A1c levels normal, I'll take it. 

1517, I wonder if you will be told the same thing I was about eating: 1/2 plate non-existent vegetables, 1/4 protein and 1/4 carb. That being said, I was still given definite amounts or allowances for carbs, protein, fat and calories. I am curious....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Some one in class asked today WHY they keep lowering and lowering the numbers for what is acceptable and she said they keep finding that people are still getting side effects , even at numbers like FBS of 115.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

Did anyone happen to ask what they would need to do to avoid using ANY of the diabetes medications?

Is that ever possible?

According to Sidsmom, her diet plan will get rid of anyone's diabetes.

Trusted Contributor

This thread is Deja Vu, all over again!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@violann wrote:

Is that ever possible?

According to Sidsmom, her diet plan will get rid of anyone's diabetes.

@proudlyfromNJ

Thanks for reading my posts!  It really does come from the heart.

I would strongly encourage anyone with diabetes to read this book by Dr. Neal Barnard.  He's one of the many, many doctors that prescribe this way of eating for disease control.

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

In my case, as soon as I was diagnosed I began an extremely limited (and healthy) way of eating.  I lost about 35lbs in that first three months prior to my first AIC recheck and the loss of weight was instrumental in getting my numbers way down.  However there IS a phenom for some people regarding FBS and they wake up with very high numbers. Yes, they should be down in the numbers you've outlined as normal.... however some people have very stressful sleep (I do because stress greatly affects BS) and have never been able to get below 90 - 150 when I wake up in the mornings even though the rest of my day and my diet is fine and hits normal numbers...

Going to the classes is so important and I'm glad you're doing so.  I learned a tremendous amount when I went.  BTW, when I was diagnosed I was 499 and a 12 AIC~!  Nearly went into the hospital.  Now I'm averaging 6.3 AIC and have adapted to a modified Paleo diet.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*