Regular Contributor

I am having a procedure done in May and have to be on a soft food diet for 4 months.  Can't eat anything I can't cut with a fork.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  4 months is a long time.  UGH.  I've thought of scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, protein shakes, jellow, pudding, soup.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks so much for any advice!!

Honored Contributor

You should have been given a diet sheet from whomever ordered this procedure.

Honored Contributor

Ice cream

Apple Sauce

Baby food bananas (really really good)

Collard greens w/smoked ham hocks Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

snip

Which foods should I include?

• Breads, cereals, rice, and pasta:
    • Breads, muffins, pancakes, or waffles moistened with syrup, jelly, margarine or butter
    • Moist dry or cooked cereal
    • Macaroni, pasta, noodles, or rice
    • Saltine crackers moistened in soup or other liquid
  • Fruits and vegetables:
    • Applesauce or canned fruit without seeds or skin
    • Cooked fruits or ripe, soft peeled fruits, such as bananas, peaches, or melon
    • Soft, well-cooked vegetables without seeds or skin
  • Meat and other protein sources:
    • Poached, scrambled, or cooked eggs
    • Moist, tender meat, fish, or poultry that is ground or chopped into small pieces
    • Soups with small soft pieces of vegetables and meat
    • Tofu or well-cooked, slightly mashed, moist legumes, such as baked beans
  • Dairy:
    • Cheese (in sauces or melted in other dishes), cottage cheese, or ricotta cheese
    • Milk or milk drinks, milkshakes
    • Ice cream, sherbet, or frozen yogurt without fruit or nuts
    • Yogurt (plain or with soft fruits)
  • Desserts:
    • Gelatin dessert with soft canned fruit, pudding, or custard
    • Fruit cobbler with soft breading or crumb mixture (no seeds or nuts), or fruit pie with soft bottom crust only
    • Soft, moist cake or cookie that has been moistened in milk, coffee, or other liquid

Which foods should I avoid?

Avoid any foods that are hard for you to chew or swallow, such as the following:

• Starches:
    • Dry bread, toast, crackers, and cereal
    • Cereal, cake, and breads with coconut, dried fruit, nuts, and other seeds
    • Corn, potato, and tortilla chips and taco shells
    • Breads with tough crusts, such as bagels, French bread, and sourdough bread
    • Popcorn
  • Vegetables:
    • Corn and peas
    • Raw, hard vegetables that cannot be mashed easily, such as carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and celery
    • Crisp fried vegetables, such as potatoes
  • Fruits:
    • Raw, crisp fruits, such as apples and pears and dried fruit
    • Stringy fruits, such as pineapple and mango
    • Cooked fruit with skin and seeds
  • Dairy, meats, and protein foods:
    • Yogurt or ice cream with coconut, nuts, and granola
    • Dry meats (beef jerky) and tough meats (such as bacon, sausage, hot dogs, and bratwurst)
    • Casseroles with large chunks of meat
    • Peanut butter (creamy and crunchy)
Trusted Contributor

Lots of smoothies with delicious things in them. Also scrambled eggs and cheese. Yum! I have to eat soft food much of the time and you get used to it. 

Respected Contributor

Is "anything you can't cut with a fork" the only restriction you were given? Because that would allow WAY more than I ever would have guessed, like cheese enchiladas, fish, pastas, most any casserole, meatloaf, chili, roasted vegetables, baked potatoes, burritos, fried rice with a protein, noodle dishes. things with griound beef, ground turkey, or shredded chicken. That seems TOO open to me.

I would ask a nurse in the office for more details and recommendations to be sure. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Soft food diet

[ Edited ]
Spoiler
For meat, if you don't have the ability to grind it, try baby food

Esteemed Contributor

@demandawrote:

I am having a procedure done in May and have to be on a soft food diet for 4 months.  Can't eat anything I can't cut with a fork.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  4 months is a long time.  UGH.  I've thought of scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, protein shakes, jellow, pudding, soup.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks so much for any advice!!

Yogurt, potatoes ( mashed, soft boiled, etc) egg salad, 

almost two years ago i had to have my periodontist do

skin grafts (4)....quite a bit....so i had to eat the soft food

for quite a long time....i even did baby food in the beginning.....then graduated after a while to chicken tenders which i took small bites of...........i am sure you can cut them with a fork.....................good luck....sorry

you had to have a procedure....

Honored Contributor

Regular Contributor

WOW @cherry!  Your list is super helpful.  Thank you also to others who made suggestions.  Very, very helpful.  I'll take these suggestions with me on my visit before the procedure.  They may give me a list then, but on my last visit they just said a soft diet, no nuts, absolutely positively no nuts!  Nothing crunchy.  I think I was in such shock when I was in there that I didn't think to ask anything.  Thank you all again.  Much appreciated!