Trusted Contributor

Sock aid for compression socks

[ Edited ]

Can anyone recommend one. I can't bend my knee to put on a compression sock on my left leg.. or any other kind of sock either. Anyway I looked online and prices range from $9.99 to $46. They look alike. I don't see how they will stretch enough in the contraption to get it over my large calf. I have wide feet and wide calves. Can anyone recommend one that works for them?

Respected Contributor

Re: Sock aid for compression socks

I have found that this type works best for TED hose or similar socks. A regular hard plastic sock aid doesn’t work well because the sock will compress the aid and you can’t get your foot into it. This is very sturdy and will hold your sock open. The main issue that patients have with it is that it can be difficult to get the sock in position if you have arthritis or weakness/pain in your hands. I haven’t checked lately but there are very likely YouTube demonstration videos.

D23EA15D-BEE7-4AFB-8ABF-2406FD56023C.png

Valued Contributor

I have had a DVT and now have chronc vein inflammation.

I wear a very strong compression weight stocking (thigh hi) on one leg every day. I do wear an open toe though so that might make a difference.

If what you wear is an open toe it might help to put a plasic bag over the leg and then pull the sock up and then pull the bag out thru the opening for the toe.

My father wore compression socks for the last few years of his life. I would fold them in a manner that would enable him to then easily put them in. You put the heel as the end of the sock as if you are just going to step into the sock and then gradually pull them on.

My father had had a stroke and it was not easy for him to put them on but my folding them in this manner enabled him to put them on without others if he had to. 

The other thing that you might do is Google how to put them on.

My brother who lives in Europe wanted to know how to put them on. He was told to wear them when he flies and because I did not know how to explain to him how to do it I suggested that he google instructions.

Sorry long winded but all I can suggest.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee    Have you seen these?   If your calf is so large, you can't find socks or a device to accommodate your needs, you may need for your doctor to write a prescription and go through a medical supplier.  Insurance/Medicare should pay for it.

Screenshot_20201001-180922~2.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment