Trusted Contributor

Re: Social Security question

On 10/28/2014 happy housewife said:

I would think that , like anyone else, she would have to put in a claim and go through the process.

As usual, thanks for the help. BTW: I thought HH had me blocked?

Contributor

It sounds like you want to collect SS on your own record plus additional money on your husband's record. As far as I know, you can only collect on one record, generally the highest under any situation. Check with SS.

Honored Contributor

You can collect a monthly Widows benefit or you can collect Social Security on your own work record. I believe you can choose whichever one is higher but you cannot collect both simultaneously.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, that's what I'm seeing. One or the other, but not both. I'm on the wait list for SS to call back. They said approximately an hour and a half.

It's kind of unfair, I'm very unlikely to live to my scheduled retirement age (66 years, 7 months), so all the money that spouse paid into SS will go back into the pot.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/28/2014 lacey1 said:
On 10/28/2014 Tissyanne said: Social Security has a website that gives the details you are asking about. A disabled spouse can collect as early as age 50, but must have been disabled for a certain period of time before the spouse death.

Thank you for the tip. I have read the website and find it confusing. I guess my question is: If I am on total disability(disability started 4 years ago), and already collecting SSI, at 56 years of age-and my working spouse has died at age 55-am I entitled to any other monthly benefits? I do have an appt. with the SS office, but I was just wondering if someone had first hand experience with this.

This is the best way to get the information. Do you know what documents you need to take to your appointment?

Frequent Contributor

Suggestions: First, determine location of your nearest Social Security Office. Call the SS Office first to determine types of paperwork/information to bring with you. Plan on visiting the SS Office In Person and bring appropriate paperwork with you. Yes, this may take several hours, but it is worth it. (Maybe bring something interesting along to read) My local SS Office experience was very positive several years ago. The person helping me even analyzed (on paper) several different scenarios depending on timelines and choices. Also, I strongly recommend setting up a Separate checking/savings account because one is better off with electronic deposit of funds so you know Exactly what is happening with your funds. After you make your final decision about how to go about this--(take your time making a decision, because often changing SS decisions is difficult) the SS Office will probably have you go on-line to fill in the information. So, perhaps fill out all the forms ON PAPER first, then go on-line. One usually needs a SEPARATE User Name & Password to set up this account. WRITE DOWN and KEEP this information in a Safe Place and be careful sharing with others. Wish you the very best in this new adventure.

Super Contributor

SS is not designed to be "fair."

I am single and singles can't designate beneficiaries, so if I die all the money goes back into the "pot" as well. I really don't see why it should be different for someone who happens to have been married.

In fact, married and childed people do a lot better out of SS. About 8 million kids are on some sort of SS now; obviously that money is partly paid for by the child free who are not creating that sort of liability for the system, either via disability of the child or the potential for the child to collect survivor's benefits.

And even non-contributing SAH spouses can collect SS and Medicare on retirement. That's a 50 percent income boost for a household in SS payments alone, let alone the value of the health care.

In order words, say I make $50,000 and pay my FICA taxes on that and collect, just for a round number, $1,000 a month at retirement plus Medicare for one person. The people next door -- a never-worked SAH spouse and her husband who makes $50,000 same as me, will collect $1,500 a month plus Medicare for two people. Same contributions, 50 percent better retirement income and all the health care for an extra person. Just because they married and made a private deal way back when that she would not contribute to the general good but rather live off his support.

I don't get how that is fair to those of us who get less while paying the full freight. And I certainly don't think anyone should be able to collect off two accounts.

No offense to the OP, I hope things work out for you, but when people complain about taxes and entitlement programs they ought to try being one of the cash cows of both the SS and federal income tax system: the single and childfree.

Trusted Contributor

Well, everyone can calm down. After being on an hour and 1/2 wait list, someone from SS called back. I will get nothing else besides what I receive now. Maybe my question will have helped someone else in the same situation. This SS business is as new to me, as when I was unemployed for the first and only time in my life. I was a total newbie and asked a lot of stupid questions.

Trusted Contributor

Well, everyone can calm down. After being on an hour and 1/2 wait list, someone from SS called back. I will get nothing else besides what I receive now. Maybe my question will have helped someone else in the same situation. This SS business is as new to me, as when I was unemployed for the first and only time in my life. I was a total newbie and asked a lot of stupid questions.

They weren't stupid questions. How would you know if you didn't ask?

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 adelle38 said:

They weren't stupid questions. How would you know if you didn't ask?

Lacey, I believe when you are 60 you will have the choice to either collect your DH's or continue to collect your SSD - whichever is larger. Apparently you must have worked the required 40 quarters in order to collect SSD.