Esteemed Contributor

Re: So much for the flu shot.....

Thank you for the replies. I know its not a guarantee if you get the flu shot. And sometimes the shot does make the flu not as bad if someone gets it. But the Dr said he has the worst case they saw "this season", and in fact they didn't see many all Winter (which made them think the shot was good this year) but are just "now" seeing some flu patients. Anyway, yes it was medically confirmed as the flu.

Update- Today he is a little better. His temp went down from 103 to 100 and he kept some broth and a slice of dry toast down. Hes still pretty washed out physically with the aches that make one feel like being run over by a truck (and hes taking tamiflu which usually eases that feeling). And he has high doses of steroids so I hope they help his asthma soon b/c hes still coughing bad and using his nebulizer 4X a day. But yes he is a bit better and was downstairs watching tv (and not in bed all day), although he did go to bed by 8PM.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

I can imagine your concern, and am glad he is better. The flu is late arriving in my area of Texas also. The last time my DH and I had the flu was years ago, and we coughed for quite a while. I finally got prescription med because I was exhausted from coughing. Let us hope that your DH has turned the corner, and will soon be feeling good. 

Honored Contributor

It seems to me that a highly nutritious eating style is quite helpful in avoiding g diseases.

I eat dark leafy green veggies most days of the week, and also either grapefruit or dark colored berries or green apples, and I rarely get respiratory ailments  (knock on wood!).

Likely as not, most people would find my eating schedule boring and uninspiring, but I look for inspiration elsewhere and enjoy the fact that I don't get diseases.

Trusted Contributor

@violann I eat very cleanly as well, though lately I've been incorporating some sugar-containing GF foods. Sure enough, bam, I've come down with some kind of repiratory thing. Hopefully it will be short-lived. I've been downing home-made bone broth and stopped sugar cold turkey.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reba055 wrote:

I got the flu shot for years especially when I worked in the medical field. I never got the flu but often got bronchitis, even pneumonia. Last year I messed around and didn't get it. It was the first time in about five years that I didn't get a bad upper respiratory infection. So I didn't get one this year. So far, so good, knock on wood. 

@reba055

Any flu shot is, at best, a kwap shoot.   

Years ago, I got one and got a very bad case of the flu.  Didn't get another one for 5 years and, you guessed it, that was the year I got the flu!  

As a result, I haven't had a flu shot in about 16 years ,,,, and haven't had the flu in 16 years!!   Go figure.   

Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

@violann I eat very cleanly as well, though lately I've been incorporating some sugar-containing GF foods. Sure enough, bam, I've come down with some kind of repiratory thing. Hopefully it will be short-lived. I've been downing home-made bone broth and stopped sugar cold turkey.

@morganjen- BEEN THERE DONE THAT! Don't beat yourself up! Hope you feel much better soon!

Esteemed Contributor

I have gotten the flu shot for at least ten years and have never gotten the flu. However, a couple of those years, I've had "one" day where I felt achy all over, like the beginning of flu, and then it's gone. I have never gotten sick, not even a cold. I can't even remember the last time I had a simple cold. I always think it's b/c of the flu shots....

Respected Contributor

I am on day 8 or 9 of my killer flu.  I am starting to snap and  get mean at people at work. oh well.  You should never pester someone thats sick lol.

Im in the "extremely fatigued, crackling voice"   part of mine.  I ciughed up a ball of mucus today ughhhhh  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry, but are you saying that you're at work, spreading this to others?  Have you been to the doctor and been tested to know whether you actually have the flu?  (As opposed to other illnesses). Did your dr. prescribe Tamiflu?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here we go again. Every year when it is time for flu shots, these old comments appear.

I'm so tired of misinformed people and their incorrect comments.

The flu shot presented each year is only designed for a certain flu.

There are hundreds of strains, so if you get the shot and then get the flu it has nothing to do with the kind the shot was created for.

Also, the flu shots are a DEAD VIRUS..........DEAD...D..E..A...D!!!!!!

You CAN NOT  get the flu from the flu shot for the strain it is created for. But you get the shot in the fall/winter where colds, flues, and many respiratory infections abound anyway. And you work and deal with people who are sick, or carriers, and they don't use sanitary techniques to keep from sharing with others. So you get sick and say the flu shot made you sick....utterly ridiculous and ignorant .A DEAD VIRUS CAN'T GIVE YOU ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!  The annual flu shots are made of dead viruses.

I do not care what your story is, the above is truth even though many won't admit it.

Try to " get it" and stop saying you got the shot and broke out with the flu. You already had another type of flu in you when you got the shot. And it finally broke out.