Esteemed Contributor

Re: So bummed about my weight

@fairydogmother 

You mention that you think  logging and tracking your food intake is necessary.  Isn't that a large part of WW, don't they count numbers for certain items?  Yet they fail, imho.  

And don't have failure in the back of your head ("I'll overeat").  Think, "my body will tell me when/what  sustenance is needed".  Keep your plan positive not negative.  In time, you'll be glad you did.  You'll even lose your desire for "bad" foods which is really bad portions.  Reward yourself once in awhile - pig out - then get right back on track.

I don't work for Nutrisystem, but imho, you should just order a week's supply,  Get pancakes and cereal (I was shocked at the portion size); a burger and lunch food (not bars - regular food to get portion size); same for supper meals.  Take pics of various portions provided if it helps.  Put flavored vinegar or hot sauce on lettuce, snack on plain celery (burns calories just eating it so it's a win-win).  Your taste/cravings will soon change.  You might even prefer a piece of celery over an oreoWoman LOL!

Anyways, just tell yourself you want to do it and you CAN do it, then you WILL do it!

Take care and let us all know how you feel about the "new" you in six months!

Valued Contributor

You already know this but sometimes we get so interested in food that we don't realize it. But pay attention to your portions. Try cutting out a lot of carbs, if eating a sandwich, make it on one piece of bread (a fatter half sandwich). Substitute eggs (no toast and no cheese) for cereal for breakfast. My husband is finding he can not eat 2 large meals a day plus cereal for breakfast and maintain a decent weight. He loves a sub sandwich for a very late lunch, so orders it. With chips. He is addicted to fat and sugar and loves fast food. Then he has to not eat anything else for dinner or the pounds come right back. He is doing better cutting out one meal a day than cutting his portions down and avoiding the chips and french fries. So what you probably already know is, cut your portions way down. Eat slowly and savor. Eat the mini-sub or half of one instead of the "regular size". Or make breakfast something like healthy eggs and then eat dinner, no lunch. Depends on you and your body what to do. 

Respected Contributor

@Growing  Very sensible! Thanks 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@fairydogmother 

You mention that you think  logging and tracking your food intake is necessary.  Isn't that a large part of WW, don't they count numbers for certain items?  Yet they fail, imho.  

And don't have failure in the back of your head ("I'll overeat").  Think, "my body will tell me when/what  sustenance is needed".  Keep your plan positive not negative.  In time, you'll be glad you did.  You'll even lose your desire for "bad" foods which is really bad portions.  Reward yourself once in awhile - pig out - then get right back on track.

I don't work for Nutrisystem, but imho, you should just order a week's supply,  Get pancakes and cereal (I was shocked at the portion size); a burger and lunch food (not bars - regular food to get portion size); same for supper meals.  Take pics of various portions provided if it helps.  Put flavored vinegar or hot sauce on lettuce, snack on plain celery (burns calories just eating it so it's a win-win).  Your taste/cravings will soon change.  You might even prefer a piece of celery over an oreoWoman LOL!

Anyways, just tell yourself you want to do it and you CAN do it, then you WILL do it!

Take care and let us all know how you feel about the "new" you in six months!

Busted! On my thinking that I have to log and count every bite. Yep thats. WW thing and yes I believe that most ppl fail, either at losing or maintaining. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother @For the Med diet you need beans and pulses and can add in feta cheese and fish. There are tons of recipes. You will need really good olive oils too. You can add olives and cherry tomatoes. You won't feel like you are on a diet if you add in your proteins. You can also add vinegars to some salads. Buy some garbanzo beans too. Yogurt and yogurt dressings are popular. Look for recipes online. The hardest part if finding fresh fish. You can also eat chicken. You might want to remove the skin after cooking. 

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother @For the Med diet you need beans and pulses and can add in feta cheese and fish. There are tons of recipes. You will need really good olive oils too. You can add olives and cherry tomatoes. You won't feel like you are on a diet if you add in your proteins. You can also add vinegars to some salads. Buy some garbanzo beans too. Yogurt and yogurt dressings are popular. Add in some shrimp, mussels and lemon juice. Look for recipes online. The hardest part if finding fresh fish. You can also eat chicken. You might want to remove the skin after cooking. Breads are allowed. 

Trusted Contributor

Strategies that helped me lose the weight I wanted to:

1.  Eat 2 meals/day mostly protein and vegetables.  Protein and healthy fats (evoo) will sate you.

2.  Eat carbs at only one meal a day to prevent unwanted insulin surges.

3.  Do Intermittent Fasting - I eat between 8 a.m.-3 p.m.

4.  Drink lots of water. It fills you up.

5.  Stop thinking about food -- redirect your attention to a pleasurable activity.

6.  Have the mindset of eating to nourish your body, not eating for enjoyment.

7.  Give yourself a reward at the end of the week. Then commit to starting over the next week.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Deree   I follow most of what you have written.  It is interesting to me to read these posts and see the diverse approaches to weight loss and what people think is best..  I wrote a long post about my healthy lifestyle, but realized in the end each of us is attracted to certain plans and I ended up deleting the lengthy post.  

Wishing you the best of health!

Respected Contributor

I am 71 and just lost 25 lbs.  With Covid and my dog and sister dying I was comfort eating for the last few years.  I wish I could give you an easy answer but there is not one or everyone would be thin.  I started my diet in April and the first six weeks were horrible.  I was hungry every waking minute.  I only ate healthy stuff like fruit, vegetable, meat, and some rice in moderation.  I am not a fruit lover so that was hard.  I think I now hate apples. It was too hot here in Florida to walk so I got no exercise but that has never helped me lose weight.  Walking is good in other ways so I love doing it but never did anything for weight loss.  

You have to really want to lose the weight and be focused and determined and be able to resist the hunger.

After about a month you don't really want as much food and your body will adjust to the new way of eating.  I am no longer hungry all the time and it takes a lot less to fill me up.  Now the problem will be keeping it off which is work to.   I wish I could give you an easy answer or diet but I don't think there is one.  I spent most of my life underweight so having to lose weight was new to me.  

Good luck with it and just decide it is something you can and will do.  

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother 

You are a member of a club -- no doubt a club that you don't want to be a member of!  I'm also a member of it!  

I started the topic not long ago about being a "sugar addict".  And boy, am I ever!  So, this has caused me to gain weight and feel not so good about myself!  Of couse, I have gained it in my stomach, my hips and thighs!  It always goes where you least need it or want it!

Have courage and take each day at a time.  You have addressed it and you are taking steps to improve yourself.  So, you're well on your way.  Once you set your mind to it -- that's really what a person has to do --- set their mind to it --- you accomplish your goals!  Will it be a fast success?  No - unfortunately.  You didn't gain the weight overnight and you will not lose it overnight.  

Something I beat myself up about over and over --- I fall off the wagon and I feel defeated and then I quit.  Please reaslize that we all have an off day or eat things we shouldn't, but this doesn't mean we are failures!  We can start again and continue on!

Also, I started at the beginning of this month trying to cut out candy and baked goods.  Oh, but this is hard!  The first week I thought I would go crazy!  It's still not easy --- I won't lie, but I am getting more used to it.  I allow myself one goody one day a week.  This gives me something to look forward to.  And I am slowly losing a bit of weight.

Slow and steady wins the war or battle, however you want to look at it.

If your issue with food is just over-eating in general and not just a particular food type, then -- yes --- portions are very important.  

Over the years I have been on many different diets.  Some worked well and others didn't.  I bought books which listed many foods that listed the calories and fat content, etc.  These helped and got me used to the value of foods.  I also used to track what I was eating and when.  This also helped a lot.  I would not limit my diet, meaning --- don't get rid of any particular food.  Give yourself a variety.  But if something is higher in calories and/or fat, just eat less of it and add more of something less caloric such as a vege.

As for exercise, I can't do a whole lot either.  Look for arm chair things you can do -- there are a lot of things on-line.  Go slow so you don't hurt yourself.

You can do it!  Just remember that! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin