Trusted Contributor

Re: So bummed about my weight

It helps me so much to track my macros/calories on Myfitnesspal.com. Getting at least 90 grams of protein a day is also key. I am an avid label reader now that I know what to look for. I have spent (a lot) of money to lose weight on a program but I have had better success in doing it on my own. However my mind has to be in a place where it needs to be to seriously get my eating and exercise back on track. I have fallen off a little recently again. Try not to get discouraged if you had a bad day and just give up. Start again the next day. The feeling of your clothes getting a little loose is sometimes enough incentive to keep you on track.   

Esteemed Contributor

Do away with alcoholic beverages. They're like drinking a danish. 

Respected Contributor

May I recommend portion control. I eat anything I want but in much smaller portions. It helped me to lose weight. Also Jen started a yoga class that isn't very difficult. She has a very soothing voice and will help to relax you. Please stop beating yourself up. It will only frustrate you.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also am right there with you, @fairydogmother!

My weakness right now is the crunchy Cheetos!  I cannot give them up!  My only "help" is that I am tall, so an extra 8 or 9 pounds doesn't show up on me very much, but an extra 20 pounds does!!  I am almost 5'10"  but I know shorter adults cannot make themselves get taller, so they will have to cut down on food since they cannot grow straight up anymorel!  LOL   (I crack myself up sometimes)!

But as others have mentioned, don't beat yourself up when you fall off the wagon, just pick up and get back on track the next day!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother --are we sisters from a different mister!!??? Sounds EXACTLY like me only got you beat by an inch more in height Woman Wink and am 68----

got this belly thing happening too---need to lose 20 pounds --been doing portion control which helps me alot and restricting the amount of carbs--you need some carbs---BUT I LOVE CARBS!!! I get bored and start rummaging thru the cupboards-- I need to drink more water and go for walks, which I do, except I hurt my foot so can't do the couple miles I am used too----Try looking at your dinner plate--divide it half--one half is your veggies/salads-- then divide the other half, in half again and each 1/4 is your protein and carbs---- ---that seems to work for me--now don't get a platter to do this with--Woman Tongue just a normal dinner plate. and then another thing that works for me--is brushing your teeth when you start feeling "snacky" at night--seems to help. 

that's all I got "sister"Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I lost 30 pounds just by eating healthy and Portion control, Portion control, Portion control. I really learned this after I tried Nutria System. I've always had a thing for tiny glass bowls so I used them. Interesting how your mind plays tricks on you.

I have always preferred tiny glass bowls and use them for most of my meals.  I even keep a very small one in my freezer for my indulgence of ice cream.  I do not want the limited amount of dessert to melt so the bowl is always cold.  Very small ramekin and then done.  Exercise daily for that treat.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Oh please don't waste your money on these silly "diets". I just lost 70 lbs and have kept it of for a few years now. I eat low carb, nothing fancy. But I walk. Walk, walk, walk. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother   remember PORTIONS PORTIONS AND PORTIONS.  Invest in a good digital kitchen scale.... start to weigh out everything you eat... and know how much and what the calorie count is in your foods.  Most people eat way bigger portions than they should... even too much chicken breast is just  TOO MUCH.  a 3 to 4 ounce portion is normal... smaller than most people eat...  and raw nuts are great... but you do not need more than 2 ounces and if you weigh out that 2 ounces of walnuts, it will be much smaller serving than if you just grab a handful.  Trust me... learning portion control will be so good for you on your way to lose 20 pounds.

I just lost 20 pounds so I know how you feel NOW , 20 pounds over your best weight... to how good you WILL feel  20 pounds down.  I do portion control... and I also do intermittent fasting... keeps the weight off easily.  You must find what works for YOU.  There is no magic diet.  It is CALORIES IN AND CALORIES BURNED. Much easier to eat LESS than try to burn off calories to lose weight.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@fairydogmother --are we sisters from a different mister!!??? Sounds EXACTLY like me only got you beat by an inch more in height Woman Wink and am 68----

got this belly thing happening too---need to lose 20 pounds --been doing portion control which helps me alot and restricting the amount of carbs--you need some carbs---BUT I LOVE CARBS!!! I get bored and start rummaging thru the cupboards-- I need to drink more water and go for walks, which I do, except I hurt my foot so can't do the couple miles I am used too----Try looking at your dinner plate--divide it half--one half is your veggies/salads-- then divide the other half, in half again and each 1/4 is your protein and carbs---- ---that seems to work for me--now don't get a platter to do this with--Woman Tongue just a normal dinner plate. and then another thing that works for me--is brushing your teeth when you start feeling "snacky" at night--seems to help. 

that's all I got "sister"Woman Wink

Haha I love it 🥰 "don't get a platter" for real that would be me. 
and bored cupboard rummaging, oh man. That's my super power haha

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

This summer I joined a facebook weight loss program called the Gina Livvy program. It's based out of Canada.  $75 for 3 months. 

The pros of the program were that it used regular food.  The first few weeks were spent following the eating recommendations and not worrying about portion control.  The idea was to get your digestive system healthy and working properly again.  Protein  for breakfast, fruit for midmorning snack, lunch was 25 % protein and the balance vegetables, pm snack of raw veggies, pn snack of nuts, dinner 50% protein and the balance veggies. I can continue to access the facebook group documents and videos past the expiration. 

The cons: too much material to read and listen to.  Occasionally, she curses during live presentations. 

I've joined for the fall program and hope to be able to focus more.  I was in WW for a year.