Respected Contributor

Re: So bummed about my weight

I  wish you allthe best in your wt loss journey, you can do it you just have to stay focused. As a type 2 diabetic having a repeat knee replacement due to an infection which I believe was brought on because of my not so good eating habits I made a big change after the MD took me off of my diabetes meds. I started eating more veggies ( yellow squash, zuchinni, tomatoes, mushrooms and red peppers all sliced and stir fried in olive oil with turkey polish sausage) for dinner at least 4 nights a week, turkey sausage, whole grain toast and apple slices for breakfast daily, lots of water and treated myself with an occasional keto chocolate cup or a spoon of Keto ice cream. Walking a treadmill daily for 30 mins. I started out at 165, down to 124 now and I feel great. I just celebrated my 72nd birthday last week and no longer take diabetes meds, I only take a multivitamin and a cholesterol pill. It's important to stay focused on your goal.Again best of luck to you.   

Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

My eating is just out of control. I'm a good twenty pounds overweight. Need to stop the spiral. I want to lose and maintain. Have spent too much $$$ on WW. Too tedious and I question any plan that's in the profit making business. Tried calorie counting apps. When I have to track and log every bite I take, I soon develop an unhealthy obsession about food. Thinking about it constantly. 
And I can't stick with it. 
What I want is to make changes that are sustainable. And to cut out the daily intake of junky snacks, ice cream, etc. 
I've done some reading about the Mediterranean diet, which is deemed very healthy by dietitians. I don't do fad or trendy diets as that will not work for me in the long run. 
I'm 71, most excess weight is belly fat, so very unhealthy and unsightly. I am 5'4". 
I weigh 165 with a BMI of 28. This was the second item mentioned in my orthopedic surgeon's notes yesterday after my appt. How embarrassing.  

So today I shopped, brought home lots of fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, hard cooked eggs, whole grain bread and cereals, hummus. It's a start. 

Tips, ideas and success strategies would be welcomed. 

@fairydogmother 

I wanted to mention that my husband's doctor just recommended the Mediterranean diet to him.  The doctor is the head of his department at Tulane Medical School and knows his stuff, so we are going to go full steam ahead with it.  Wishing you good luck with your weight loss.  With your motivation and all of this good advice, I know you can do it. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother As many have mentioned, try walking.

Every morning and during the day, I see people walking around the neighborhood. Sometimes it is older ladies but it is also Grandpa pushing the stroller with his grandchild or families all walking and a dog too.

It is so nice to see. I used to walk our dog as he sniffed his way around the neighborhood. I miss him and our walks. 

Maybe now is not the best time in the heat. But my husband walks 5 miles every morning in our local parks. He likes to see all the deer and has made friends with many of the people also walking in the parks.

I like to see all the flowers that everyone plants. Keeps me on my toes to make an effort to make sure plants do well in my yard too.

Good Luck with whatever you do. Hope you achieve your goal.

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother 

Here is our thread and the journey of sevral of us as we all held hands and succeeded as we worked toward our goals.  

Please let me know if you have any questions.  There are discussions, recipes, and pictures.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/Girls-Whom-Among-Us-Did-WW-Exchange-Programs-Of-the-1980-...

Respected Contributor

Menopause belly is very difficult to get rid of.  Insulin resistant belly fat.  My doctor explained to me that this belly fat has a hormone in it that effects the brain.  It tells the brain that you're hungry when in actuality you're not.  The belly fat becomes the boss.

She told me to fill up on green veggies, all you want.  Stay away from the white stuff.

You have to do some sort of exercise.  

For me, I went cold turkey on the sweets. It was hard at first but after a week I didn't miss them at all.  Develop some hobby that you can do to take your mind off eating.  

And there's always drug therapy.  Remember the old fen phen drug that was discontinued?

There's a new combination now that's prescribed.  It's part anti-depressant and part addiction suppressant.  Not advocating, just mentioning.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Try starting your moring with 16 oz of celery juice. Then as much fruit and veggies until lunch.

Then eat small meals through the day.

Eggs do not work for me at all when it comes to weight control, also stay light with the bread and cereals as that weight goes to the middle. Everything else sounds good. You're weight does not sound excessive.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Low carb will get you there and you will eat plenty.  Unfortunately, don't cut back on the sugar, just cut out the sugar.  Read labels because hidden sugar is in everything.  But most importantly, don't beat yourself up ,just make a plan and stick to it.  You'll see results shortly and that's the best encouragement of all.  And find an app and document it all.  Keeps you on track.

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother 

I am right with ya!  15 lbs over myself!  I have been kicking myself as well.  I think -- why, why did you let yourself get there?  It happened so quickly.  We are intelligent people and we know perfectly well why and how it happened but we do it anyway!

You have doubtless seen my latest topic of being addicted to sugar!  If not for that dang sweet tooth, I'd be a skinny minny!  

I struggle every day of my life, so I know exactly how you feel!  

I unfortunately have no great advice or tips but I just want to say that I am with you and that I offer my support.  I try to remember that we are just human and we make mistakes, but if we mess up one day, we can't let it control us.  We just have to start over the next day!  

I know there are many people here who have a lot of experience with this and will give you many good tips and advice.  And everyone is so helpful and supportive!

We will have our ups and downs with this.  But as the saying goes -- It's not how many times we fall down -- it's how many times we get back up!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'm in the same age range and understand. Change your activity and exercise routines.  Keep fruit and veggies handy instead of junk food. 

I've lost 80 pounds. I know I'll binge if I deny myself everything. I started portioning the few junk food items I eat. I never take the bag of chips or M&Ms with me.

**I put a few in a small plastic container and that's all I eat. It always amazes me that it satisfies me instead of sitting and eating half a bag. 

**I found lower fat/calorie ways to fix my favorite foods.

**I tracked what I ate for many years on an online tracker. I learned how much good fat, carbs, calories, etc I really need each day. If I didn't keep to that, I gained weight. It really helped me change my eating habits.

I also carry some extra weight in the middle. My dr said "at my age" it's harder to get rid of it. I hate when doctors say that. Smiley Happy  But I keep trying.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@fairydogmother 

I am right with ya!  15 lbs over myself!  I have been kicking myself as well.  I think -- why, why did you let yourself get there?  It happened so quickly.  We are intelligent people and we know perfectly well why and how it happened but we do it anyway!

You have doubtless seen my latest topic of being addicted to sugar!  If not for that dang sweet tooth, I'd be a skinny minny!  

I struggle every day of my life, so I know exactly how you feel!  

I unfortunately have no great advice or tips but I just want to say that I am with you and that I offer my support.  I try to remember that we are just human and we make mistakes, but if we mess up one day, we can't let it control us.  We just have to start over the next day!  

I know there are many people here who have a lot of experience with this and will give you many good tips and advice.  And everyone is so helpful and supportive!

We will have our ups and downs with this.  But as the saying goes -- It's not how many times we fall down -- it's how many times we get back up!!!!  

Yes I read your post about sugar addiction nodding my head. Yep yep that sounds like me. 
You and all of the other women who have responded to my post, have reaffirmed to me that the sisterhood will rally around a member in need. 

xoxo

Harmonize the World