Respected Contributor

So bummed about my weight

[ Edited ]

My eating is just out of control. I'm a good twenty pounds overweight. Need to stop the spiral. I want to lose and maintain. Have spent too much $$$ on WW. Too tedious and I question any plan that's in the profit making business. Tried calorie counting apps. When I have to track and log every bite I take, I soon develop an unhealthy obsession about food. Thinking about it constantly. 
And I can't stick with it. 
What I want is to make changes that are sustainable. And to cut out the daily intake of junky snacks, ice cream, etc. 
I've done some reading about the Mediterranean diet, which is deemed very healthy by dietitians. I don't do fad or trendy diets as that will not work for me in the long run. 
I'm 71, most excess weight is belly fat, so very unhealthy and unsightly. I am 5'4". 
I weigh 165 with a BMI of 28. This was the second item mentioned in my orthopedic surgeon's notes yesterday after my appt. How embarrassing.  

So today I shopped, brought home lots of fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, hard cooked eggs, whole grain bread and cereals, hummus. It's a start. 

Tips, ideas and success strategies would be welcomed. 

Harmonize the World
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: So bummed about my weight

The only tip I can give you is if you don't buy the offending food items and bring them into the house, then you won't eat them. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe look into an exercise program. Baby steps for starters, build muscles and feel good about yourself. Exercise does the mind good.

Regular Contributor

Maybe along with the healthier eating starting taking a short walk around the block every day and gradually add to the distance and pace.  You'll feel good about what you're doing because exercise just makes you feel better, improves your outlook and and the positive reinforcement will keep you motivated.  Even better, get someone to join you in your new health journey.  Best of luck to you! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Another tip...do not eat after your last meal. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Maybe look into an exercise program. Baby steps for starters, build muscles and feel good about yourself. Exercise does the mind good.

I agree @SilleeMee  Just start walking @fairydogmother increase your time and distance little by little. That along with a healthy eating plan will do wonders.

Stop being so hard on yourself. You are perfect just the way you are in this moment. You will lose the weight. Don't confuse your self worth with your weight. 

Good luck! 

Frequent Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

My eating is just out of control. I'm a good twenty pounds overweight. Need to stop the spiral. I want to lose and maintain. Have spent too much $$$ on WW. Too tedious and I question any plan that's in the profit making business. Tried calorie counting apps. When I have to track and log every bite I take, I soon develop an unhealthy obsession about food. Thinking about it constantly. 
And I can't stick with it. 
What I want is to make changes that are sustainable. And to cut out the daily intake of junky snacks, ice cream, etc. 
I've done some reading about the Mediterranean diet, which is deemed very healthy by dietitians. I don't do fad or trendy diets as that will not work for me in the long run. 
I'm 71, most excess weight is belly fat, so very unhealthy and unsightly. I am 5'4". 
I weigh 165 with a BMI of 28. This was the second item mentioned in my orthopedic surgeon's notes yesterday after my appt. How embarrassing.  

So today I shopped, brought home lots of fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, hard cooked eggs, whole grain bread and cereals, hummus. It's a start. 

Tips, ideas and success strategies would be welcomed. 

I can completely understand.  I gained 12 lbs over the past year and at age 63 it's sooo much harder to lose.  Also, it feels and looks like 10 of the 12 lbs are in my stomach.  However, 3 weeks ago I decided enough is enough.  I bought healthy low fat low carb low sugar foods.  I've tried to be creative.  I also started working out to Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos.  They are 30 minute videos and I do at least 1 per day....sometimes 2.  I am happy to say that I have lost 7.8 lbs.  I'm encouraged now to forge forward and continue my journey.  I feel so much better.  I wore a pair of pants today that I haven't worn in over a year....and while they may have been slightly snug in the waist....I got them on and I felt good.  There was a smile on my face today and a spring in my step.  I will never look like I did when I was 33, but I can try to be the best 63 year old I can be.  You can do it too.  Try not to get discouraged.  The videos seem so hard at first and you may not get through them....but keep going because you will build endurance and get there.  Drink lots of water.  Look up healthy recipes to try. Be proud of every accomplishment...even if they seem small (like losing 2/10th of a pound after working your azz off). And try not to allow yourself to get discouraged....you will open the door for self sabatoge.  Good luck.  I believe in you.

Respected Contributor

I don't know if you're interested in this or not, but the Slim Fast plan can be a good place to start. There is a VERY active FB group that will talk you off the ledge if you need it...lol...and are very encouraging and supportive. Lots of good ideas on snacks, meals, etc. there. I had gained 10 pounds and kept it on for 3 to 4 years. I finally got sick of it, found that group, and did Slim Fast. I lost 10+ pounds and have kept it off for over a year using the Slim Fast maintenance plan.

I power walk 3 times a week and do light strength-training and stretches the other days. I don't buy ANY junk food or foods I can't resist, because if I do, I'll eat them. I tell myself this quote often, "Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels." 

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

Another tip...do not eat after your last meal. 

Gulp. You mean like the giant bowl of ice cream I have every night? And chips? While I'm watching TV.  And the bowl of cereal I have as a reward for letting my dog outside at 3 a.m. 😳

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@Shoppergal  Everything you said just made me feel better. I'm thrilled that you have achieved success with this- it is SO hard to lose and maintain after menopause. Thank you. 

Harmonize the World