Honored Contributor

Re: So I tried oil pulling for the first time...

Maybe start out doing for a few mins & adding 1 min after several days when you get used to it. It may not make your mouth so sore.

I could not do that for 10 mins. I would have to spit it out & put some more in my mouth before I swallowed any of it. LOL!!!

I doubt I could take that greasy feeling in my mouth. Yuck!!!

If I tried it I would use coconut oil.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve been doing oil pulling for a long time. A suggestion: start out with a small amount of oil instead of a tablespoon. I started with a teaspoon. That might be too much for some people, so whatever amount is tolerable.  Also just do it for a few minutes at first, then gradually extend the time when you can. I think I began with 1 minute - it was the longest I could do at first.

It took me a while to work up to a tablespoon for 15 minutes. But I wasn’t on a timetable, so there was no stress involved. And I never had sore muscles.

ETA: My dentist feels there is no danger in oil pulling. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Let me tell you what an experience this is!  

You may have seen my thread about my gum health.  I googled some at home tips and I've heard about this before for a lot of different reasons so I decided to try it.

You get a tablespoon of coconut, sesame or olive oil and swish it in your mouth for 10-15 minutes.  That is not a typo. Minutes not seconds.

I had olive oil on hand and after about 2 minutes of swishing it around in my mouth my cheeks were on fire and I looked like a choking chipmunk.    

I dutifully tried to distract myself as my mouth muscles were getting a workout.  Arnold Schwartzanegger is going to have nothing on me if I keep this up.

I was sorely disappointed a few times when I just couldn't take the motion anymore and I thought it must be 10 minutes already anyway.  I went to the clock and it was not.  Smiley Sad

After I blinked back a few tears, I kept swishing.  They say don't spit it out in the sink but rather a trash can or the toilet because of the bacteria you are pulling out. 

Finally the clock hit the minimum 10 minute mark and I raced like a champion marathoner with my hands up into the bathroom to spit it all out.  

I then got a glass of warm water and rinsed as they say to do.  I brushed my teeth as normal and voila, oil pull complete.

I literally woke up this morning with a sore mouth and cheeks for my 10 minute last night experience.  In comparison, I did an hour weight workout yesterday morning and my body is good.  My mouth not so much.  Tired and in recovery.

It was interesting to say the least!   Anyone else do self bondage like this in the name of health?  I want to know I am not alone.  Smiley Happy

@Laura14  Holy Moley, how often do you have to do this?  I just ate a soft cheese that I poured extra virgin olive oil over, a bit of salt, and cracked pepper, and ate it on Acme Italian, does this count, LOL.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14

Ugh. 

I doubt I could last with oil in my mouth for even 10 to 15 seconds!    

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl LOL!

On day three and I'm hanging in there for my 10 minutes each time. Switched to morning and that works better for me. More distraction.
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Laura14  I have been oil swishing every morning for the past about 8 years.  I just swish while I am getting/ preparing  my coffee and such set up in the morning. Usually about 20 minutes.  It is a habit much like flossing or using a seat belt... just part of my routine now.  I spit it out into a papertowel and just throw it away.   I use sesame oil and coconut oil... I like doing it . 

@SeaMaidencould I ask you a few questions?  Was there a paticular reason you began oil pulling? and what change/benefits did you notice?  and how soon did you notice the changes??

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

I’ve been doing oil pulling for a long time. A suggestion: start out with a small amount of oil instead of a tablespoon. I started with a teaspoon. That might be too much for some people, so whatever amount is tolerable.  Also just do it for a few minutes at first, then gradually extend the time when you can. I think I began with 1 minute - it was the longest I could do at first.

It took me a while to work up to a tablespoon for 15 minutes. But I wasn’t on a timetable, so there was no stress involved. And I never had sore muscles.

ETA: My dentist feels there is no danger in oil pulling. 

@ Montana  hello could you share what if any issues you had that made you try oil pulling?  and what improvements did you see?

Thanks

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Other than previous threads here about oil pulling, I'd never heard of this.  I mentioned it to my dentist and of course he said said it was something done long ago and unless you lived somewhere where dental care was unavailable, knew of no reason why it would be done today.

My dentist travels all over the world with a dental organization that provides dental care in third world countries.  He has encountered oil pulling in some of these countries. 

Honored Contributor

golly i sure needed and enjoyed that laugh. how  in heaven's name did you come across trying that..?

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal Welcome to my world. ☺️