Honored Contributor

Re: So I tried oil pulling for the first time...

I found some more tips for those of you who want to try it. 

I did it at night but apparently first thing in the morning is better according to some of what I read or you can do it several times a day.

1.  Use cold pressed unrefined oil

2.  Do it on an empty stomach which I guess is where am comes from.  I was fine with pm pull and you do not swallow it but if you have any gastric issues, fyi...  

3.  Spit out in toilet not sink because of bacteria you are spitting out

4.  Rinse mouth out with warm water (some recommend sea salt added) 

5.  Thoroughly brush afterwards 

The oil when you spit it out should be milky white.  If it is, you did it long enough.  If it's clear, you needed more time. 

Good luck on your pulling peeps!  Smiley Very Happy 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14  I have been oil swishing every morning for the past about 8 years.  I just swish while I am getting/ preparing  my coffee and such set up in the morning. Usually about 20 minutes.  It is a habit much like flossing or using a seat belt... just part of my routine now.  I spit it out into a papertowel and just throw it away.   I use sesame oil and coconut oil... I like doing it . 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I love the paper towel idea.  I am on day two and I guess I'll go home later and try it again for the second time. 

I have no idea how you do 20 minutes.  You must have the strongest face in the world.  It was all I could do to make the 10 minute minimum.   

Respected Contributor

I wll only try this with organic coconut oil.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@SeaMaiden  I love the paper towel idea.  I am on day two and I guess I'll go home later and try it again for the second time. 

I have no idea how you do 20 minutes.  You must have the strongest face in the world.  It was all I could do to make the 10 minute minimum.     

@Laura14After doing it for awhile it just feels natural to have the oil in your mouth. So the more you do it ... like anything... it will just be part of your day... Try putting just a tsp in your mouth right when you get up.... do what things you do to start your morning... brush your hair... wash face... make coffee... and before you know it the time is up!   At first it just seems so unusual.. but you will soon find that you enjoy it and it is just part of your day.. I promise! Smiley Happy

AND you do NOT HAVE TO SWISH VIGOROUSLY... 

Honored Contributor

@maestra  That seems to be most recommended but I hate coconut so I'll have to stick with olive.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I trust you!  You are probably right. I didn't have enough distraction in my life last night.  LOL

Respected Contributor

I tried it with coconut oil for a couple of days. That was all I could tolerate. It made me seriously nauseous!!! Good luck to you!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Regular Contributor

You work up to 20 minutes. So start with a couple of minutes each day and add a minuted from there. It is very hard on your mouth if you jump right 20 minutes. 

Honored Contributor

@SleepyTime  True words!  Ow!