Honored Contributor

So I tried oil pulling for the first time...

[ Edited ]

Let me tell you what an experience this is!  

You may have seen my thread about my gum health.  I googled some at home tips and I've heard about this before for a lot of different reasons so I decided to try it.

You get a tablespoon of coconut, sesame or olive oil and swish it in your mouth for 10-15 minutes.  That is not a typo. Minutes not seconds.

I had olive oil on hand and after about 2 minutes of swishing it around in my mouth my cheeks were on fire and I looked like a choking chipmunk.    

I dutifully tried to distract myself as my mouth muscles were getting a workout.  Arnold Schwartzanegger is going to have nothing on me if I keep this up.

I was sorely disappointed a few times when I just couldn't take the motion anymore and I thought it must be 10 minutes already anyway.  I went to the clock and it was not.  Smiley Sad

After I blinked back a few tears, I kept swishing.  They say don't spit it out in the sink but rather a trash can or the toilet because of the bacteria you are pulling out. 

Finally the clock hit the minimum 10 minute mark and I raced like a champion marathoner with my hands up into the bathroom to spit it all out.  

I then got a glass of warm water and rinsed as they say to do.  I brushed my teeth as normal and voila, oil pull complete.

I literally woke up this morning with a sore mouth and cheeks for my 10 minute last night experience.  In comparison, I did an hour weight workout yesterday morning and my body is good.  My mouth not so much.  Tired and in recovery.

It was interesting to say the least!   Anyone else do self bondage like this in the name of health?  I want to know I am not alone.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: So I tried oil pulling for the first time...

@Laura14 I've wanted to try oil pulling for a while now.  You are inspiring.  Thanks for making me laugh with the "choking chipmunk" line.  Giggles.  My experience with a horrid event in the name of health: the first time I did a 20 mile run to train for a marathon.  Ye gads, what was I thinking?  

If you continue with the oil pulling, it would be abfab if you could update us if you found it useful, etc.  Thank You!

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian  Will do.  I am planning on choking it out with my new Alvin impression until my next dentist appointment in late December.  

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 Kudos to you!  Reward yourself.  By the way, Alvin is adorable so make it work for you.  Smiles.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14@While you are at it with the oil pulling try adding neem toothpaste and mouthwash...I swear you will be rewarded.

Honored Contributor

@dex  I was looking at them on Amazon yesterday.  Definitely going to try it.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14. If ya win the lottery that tip I just GAVE you would be worth a million easy.I hope your oil pulling develops really nice cheek bones and a smooth jawline.

Honored Contributor

@dex  ROFLMAO!  You got it and I'll even pay the gift tax!

Honored Contributor

My hubby has gum issues, he does this al the time, I could never do it, I am a gagger, no way, no how!!

Honored Contributor

Everyone has to do Oil Pulling at least once in their lifetime

to realize there’s nothing to it.  In fact, it disrupts the natural

productive covering Mother Nature gave us..which could cause 

more issues down the road.  If anything, just rinse with water 

for an extended time...if your teeth are that unhealthy.

Snopes deemed it ‘Unproved’...and Nutritionfacts.org

has several videos not encouraging it. 

D6818CCE-F65D-464E-97E5-B8D075D78D27.jpeg