Honored Contributor

Re: So How WasYour Health This Past Winter Season?

I did very well, even tho my hubs and duaghter got colds once or twice. But I escaped! got my flu shot too .

Respected Contributor

not bad after I completed 40 rad treatments for breast cancer.

Esteemed Contributor

Got a flu shot in early November.  Got sick the very next day.  (Yeah, yeah  -- I know it was a coincidence).  Remained sick until mid February.  Not bedridden sick, but uncomfortable enough where I had to visit the doctor 4 times in those three months and did three rounds of antibiotics (among other drugs like nasal sprays, cough medicines, etc).  Very unusual for me.  I hardly ever get sick.

Honored Contributor

Looks like most of you got a flu shot.  I've never had one because when my mother used to get them, she'd get sick.  Besides, I only remember having the flu once.

During my Medicare Wellness visit last week, I did allow the doctor to give me a pneumonia shot.  My arm was sore for at least 2 days.

Other than arthritis in my knees and various places, I did well this winter.  Thank you for asking.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Taking care of yourself is half the equation. The other half is exposure. IMO one can be healthy as a horse and can still catch a cold or the flu. True they have a better chance of having a lighter bout, but I've never heard valid medical studies that proved those with good immune systems don't get sick. Don't get sick as often, yes. Don't get sick at all, no.

Due to the nature of my workplace (hospital) I have had yearly flu shots for the past 25+ years at least. I haven't had a "classic" heavy-duty flu in all that time, but I have had light versions a few times.

You may feel punky for 2-3 days after a flu shot. You may have a sore arm, a slight fever and systemic malaise. This is NOT the flu, and you are NOT "sick." It's a reaction to the inoculation. I would rather have that than actual flu, which customarily lays people out flat in bed for 10 days to two weeks, literally unable to function.

And/or, yes, in rare cases one can be incubating a cold or the flu already, in which case it *appears* that the flu shot "gave" them the flu - especially if you get the shot late in flu season.

I had the first cold I've had in 2-3 years, last month. I had been going through a physically & emotionally stressful 6-week period and wasn't surprised that my immune system had karped out. But I hadn't had a cold in so long I forgot how miserable it was :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I was fine, but DH got two viruses working on computers in dentist offices.

One of my secrets to good health is that I never go anywhere or do anything.  When I grocery shop, I go early in the morning, use alcohol cleaner as soon as I get to the car and wash my hands thoroughly before and after I put them away.

I hate to even spend 5 minutes waiting in a medical office.

I have definitely found that since I do most of my holiday shopping online and am not in malls and/or around people nearly as much as I used to be, my colds have dropped way off, noticeably so. And now that I'm no longer working, I'm not exposed to co-workers and employers colds either.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

GCR18:  I too get a flu shot every year and this was a very good year - stayed healthy.  I am a breast cancer survivor (5 years cancer free come next Feb).   One of the things my oncologist told me - after my immune system recovered from chemo (I waited about a year just to be sure) was to make sure all my immunizations are up to date bc as I'm sure you found out - you can't have a flu shot or much of anything while in treatment bc chemo weakens your system. 

A year after treatment I had the Hep B series of shots, and more recently when I hit 60, I had the Prevnar 13 pneumonia and Shingles shots.   Check with your doctor bc when I was in treatment for cancer I too got the "wash your hands, stay away from small children and large gatherings".   My oncologist told me that sepsis from any type infection could kill me much faster than cancer would ever take me out of this world - and that's was Patty Duke just died from.  Wishing you a healthy future!

Esteemed Contributor

I have only had the real flu twice in my life, once in the 60s with the Asian Flu and once in the 80s. Both times I thought I was going to die! I don't get flu shots. I rarely get a cold, but did this year. Every other week I volunteer to read to 3 and 4 year-olds in Head Start, and they all have to have their hugs. I'm pretty sure I get exposed during those multiple hugs.

My doc said she didn't care if I got a flu shot, but did recommend Shingles and Prevnar 13, which I did.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

My health through the winter: close to excellent.

I do a lot of hand washing, use antiseptic wipes when in any public place: shop either on line or have groceries bought for 1 month at a time.

Good diet. Assortment of supplements.

Cook from scratch.

It works for me~

NAES

Honored Contributor

No colds, no flu, no flu shot.

I am that Crazy Hand Washer and when no sink/soap is around, I use EO brand hand sanitizer spray or gel.

I also take Andrew Lessman's Immune Factors whenever I am leaving my home.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN