Honored Contributor

Praying for your continued recovery.Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I fractured my hip in May of 2017 after a fall down my stairs. Yes, I should have thrown those slippers away sooner.  I had surgery the same day and have some titanium pieces in my leg now.  I was sent home after three days under my husband's care and Visiting Nurses and PT came in for 30 days.  Your PT person should be the one you are listening to.  Be diligent with your exercises. 

The best thing I did for myself was I started walking. I started doing that several months after my fall because I had started to put on weight and I just was not as active as I used to be.  I managed to get the weight off and  really build my strength back.  Climbing stairs is sometimes a bit uncomfortable but I make myself do it.

I know you have said you have some health issues, one therapist suggested swimming to build back strength.

Wishing you well,

Karen    

Trusted Contributor

You can do this but do this at what your body tells you feels comfortable.  You are the one in the drivers seat of your recovery and you are the best judge of what you can and can't do.  Only you feel the pain, only you know where and how much it hurts to move a certain way.  Take your time, I'll send healing prayers and I'm sure working with a PT will give you confidence and show you the path to recovery.  Blessings!

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

THR right 22 days ago, moving around with walker, i am able to walk from the shower seat to the commode without walker or cane or assistance, but wearing grippy socks.

Hubby is pushing me he thinks it is helpful but its not.

I know I will recover and if its slow I am happy with that but I will recover

3 weeks pt from VNS and this week i will have an in home PT, I have a compromised immune system and want to keep my circle small 

I think that you should be proud of the great progress that you have made, so far! Heart

Being able go from the shower chair to the commode without any kind of assistive device--no walker or crutches--is a real accomplishment!

It may not seem like it, but it is! Heart

I have been cheering you along, the whole time.

I have been making slow progress too, as my right foot has not been recovering like it should have. It was fragile and arthritic to begin with when it broke, so that made for a more complicated surgery.

So, my recovery has also been on the complicated side, too.

The good news for me is that the surgery that I had on the Achilles tendon in that same foot has been holding steady, so I am able to move my foot with a range-of-motion like I should.

The foot doctor is hoping that I will be able to start walking again--probably slowly and carefully--by Thanksgiving.

I have one of those walking Air Boots that I'll probably have to wear for quite some time to come on that foot.

I'll be continuing to pray for you, that you have a smooth recovery. Heart

Take care of yourself. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

UPDATE

Now able to walk my small apt without assistance, no walker, cane or hubby, I do depend on the walker for nighttime  potty runs

Slept well last night, still waiting to move from the sofa to the bed for sleep

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

UPDATE

Now able to walk my small apt without assistance, no walker, cane or hubby, I do depend on the walker for nighttime  potty runs

Slept well last night, still waiting to move from the sofa to the bed for sleep

@I am still oxox 

Looks like you are doing pretty well.  Certainly right to use whatever you need at certain times. Was talking with my sister yesterday, she had a partial knee replacement. She said the exact same thing you mentioned about the bathroom trips. She has 2 big dogs that lay by her bed, so she uses her cane to get around them.

Hope all keeps moving the right direction for you in your recovery.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I am glad you are doing so well. Every surgery I have had seems to have a certain amount of weeks where it's just hard to not be in pain. And then one day, we notice progress or have a great day. Good for you for taking care of yourself and being true to you. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Slow recovery

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox ...Everyone recovers at a different time frame.  Joe Blow was walking without assistance sooner then Mary Jo, why is that?  Who knows ? The  main thing is that your body is doing what is best for you.  It sounds as though you are doing well and all of us here are glad to hear that.  Keep doing what you are doing and before you know it you will be your old self again.  Take care and continue to keep us posted.

Smiley Happy Heart                                                                             

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam