Respected Contributor

What's a good sleeping pill--one that has been around for a while and doesn't have scary side effects? 

Esteemed Contributor

Late night TV... Just kidding!

Frequent Contributor

That is a good question Fortune. I could use a good sleeping pill. My friend is on i think abien (not sure if that is how you spell it or not). She does things she doesn't even remember. Like eating a whole bags of chips, and has no memory of it. Oh that is the last thing I need to be doing. Hope someone has a good idea for a sleeping pill.

Esteemed Contributor

Fortune, 

you really need to discuss this with your doctor......

Honored Contributor

One that I really liked, that is actually an anti-depressant but one you take at night, is Trazadone.  

When I was on anti-depressant for several years I had one (Zoloft) that i took in the morning and then the Trazadone at night.   Not only did it gently help me sleep a lot better (I have SEVERE sleep problems, since I was a kid), but it also helped me to not have nightmares.

I really miss the Trazadone!  A friend recently gave me a few and boy have I been coveting those!   Since I haven't taken them for years I decided to cut them in half and just take half of one, every now and then when I want a break from hardly sleeping, and it still helps.

I also love Ambien 10 but I know a lot of people don't and some even have problems.  But I can take one of those and absolutely crash for 5-6 hours.  For me that's a lifetime of sleep since much of my sleep is just 5-10 minutes at a time.

Honored Contributor

Any allergy pill will knock me out

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

If you can do it naturally, do so.... ambien and it's side effects can be harsh. As a matter of fact most of the drugs on the market can cause some disturbing side effects.

I agree about speaking to your doctor.  If you haven't tried Melatonin, speak to your doctor about it and discuss natural options.

My son has chronic insomnia and has tried every prescription out there and has experienced some awful side effects from them.   Sometimes he's up 3 - 4 days straight, horrible consequences when you go that long without sleep.  Believe it or not, he finds Horchata powder (a rice/flour drink mix - with/without cinnamon) in milk has helped him..... but I'm sure that's just a personal quirk because I don't think anything but the milk has any properties that will help.

Good luck....    

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I agree with Trazadone. It has a long track record, and helps with a multitude of things. 

Contributor

Not prescription, Costco brand Kirkland called Sleep Aid. 2 bottles that come in a box. Inexpensive. I have trouble falling asleep, then staying asleep. When I first starting taking them I only took 1/2 a pill. No groggy effect the next morning. I've tried a variety of Dr prescribed sleeping pills and I did not do well with them. The only prescribed sleeping pill that worked for me was Restoril. My Dr said they are sleep addictive and a person builds tolerance to them quickly. Dr will only prescribe Restoril once in a while and a very low dose.

Respected Contributor

Trazodone. not habituating.  you can do 25mg or 50mg.  take 20 minutes before bedtime.