Honored Contributor

Some of you know that DH had a cardiac arrest 3 yrs. ago and they lost him many times.  He was given a 4 in 100 chance to live and he made it.  He now has a defibrillator.

Before he had this problem, I thought he had all the symptoms of Sleep Apnea because of his snoring and how he stopped breathing at night. He never really had it checked out.  When he came home from the hospital after his cardiac arrest,he didn't snore much anymore so we have thought maybe it somehow "righted" itself.

Lately, I noticed he is snoring again.  The other night I got up and found him sitting on the edge of his bed in the guest room.  He sleeps there now because he has a land line instrument from Boston Scientific that reads his heart rhythm at night. It will light up if I need to call an ambulance.  It didn't light up. Anyway, he looked shaken and I asked him what was wrong and told him I heard him snoring and came to check him out because his light was on.  He said he woke up not able to get his breath.  It scared him....I could tell.  I wanted him to make an appointment right away and get to the doctor.  He wants to wait till a standing appointment he has in January.  I am very concerned.  His doctors never addressed the sleep apnea because it seemed to go away. This "spell" happened night before last and he still hasn't called a doctor. I am about ready to pitch a hissy fit.  I think he is thinking because it just started up again he has plenty of time to see about it.  Quite frankly, I am worried.  Anyone here have a similar situation?

Valued Contributor

I am sorry that your husband is having problems with sleep apnea , That is a very serious thing , I f your husband has had heart attacks he need s a sleep test especially if he is still snoring , My husband had 5 sleep tests and his snoring and sleep apnea were bad , He know has a sleep cpap machine that he sleeps with every night , He loves it , It took him a while to get used to it but he sleeps soundly and safely , No more snoring and n more struggling to breath and no more sitting up after suddenlly waking up and gasping for air , Get your husband a sleep test and sleep cpap machine before his sleep apnea kills him in his sleep .

cathy from ma

Regular Contributor

Twinkles has given you good advice.  It can be very serious.  Knowing what I know now about the seriousness of it by having to live through it, it should not be taken lightly.  Yes, it is a process to go through, however, it is so well worth it and once he gets used to it, I think he will be glad he did.  The machines they have now are very quiet...nothing to complain about.

Honored Contributor

Thanks ladies.  I thought is seemed like it could be pretty serious. I can't believe after all he went through 3 or so yrs. ago he would drag his feet on something that affected his breathing???  I mean the first responder lost a pulse twice before the ambulance got here, three times more after using a defibrillator and again at the hospital.  He never came to and was put in a semi-coma for three days while they ran cold water up and down his body.  He's darn lucky to be alive.  Stubborn...stubborn....stubborn. 

Occasional Contributor

Your husband's stubborness could kill him -  time to pitch that hissy fit!!  My story: while visiting my Dr. a year ago he asked if  I slept well, awakened refreshed, I said no to all.  Then my husband said that I snored badly - I didn't realize that!.  Was sent for a sleep study.  I went to sleep at ten and at one a.m. they woke me up and put a c-pap on me.  I felt really well the next morning considering the fact that I was in a strange bed.  They said that I had stopped breathing 22 times in an hour!  I now sleep with my c-pap every night and feel so much better - no napping in the afternoon.  And the extra bonus is that my hisband sleeps so much better as I'm not thrashing around and snoring!  For your husband's health and your peace of mind, get him to the Dr.!!

Esteemed Contributor

Jubilant,

I remember well about your husband's cardiac arrest. Most without IMMEDIATE HELP, have little chance of surviving. You know my close brushes with death and I feel both your husband and myself have someone/something watching over us.

It would be a very easy decision for me were I to have an issue seriously concern me. No way would I wait for a future scheduled appointment, I would(and have) get in as quick as possible.

Sleep Studies are not a BIG deal, a pain in the rear? Yes! I have had 6 of them for several different reasons and they can tell a person a lot. Has  your husband ever worn an Oximeter Recording device 24/7 to measure his Oxygen Saturation levels?

After my first heart attack accompanied by Aspiration Pneumonia, I was put on an Oxygen Concentrator at night because my saturation levels dropped to dangerous points while sleeping. I wore the 24/7 recording device, which located my problem.

I hope your husband does the safest thing: "When in doubt, err on the side of safety"

My best to your husband and also his caretaker(who would be you of course).

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Sleep Apnea

[ Edited ]

Hi, John,

I remember well how much help you were to DH and I and through that ordeal.  DH faces a lot of things.  He probably always will.  He tests positive for agent orange and that is a whole other battle.

No, to my knowledge, he has never had the saturation test you are talking about.  I think it's the sleep test he dreads.  He hates the idea of someone watching him sleep.  I will tell my husband about that test and what you and the others have said.  I am hoping that will have some pull when he hears what can happen.  I guess since he has never heard of anyone dying from this....he isn't taking it very seriously.  Hopefully when I read these to him...he will listen.  

His psa's are going up again.  He had prostate cancer and they took the prostate out several years ago.  I read what you said in your other post about prostate cancer.  His doctor is waiting till his count gets to a 4.  It is something like 2.3 right now so I would like to see him take care of this problem now before he has to address that one.  He faithfully has his colonoscopies and it's a good thing he does.  First time there were 3 polyps that were precancerous.  This time (3yrs. later) he had 4 more polyps but they weren't cancer so we were thankful for that. Now if he would just take this breathing thing as seriously.

I edited this to add that I feel you both must be being watched over to have made it this far.....DH is 67 now and he just keeps "truckin".  Hope you and Cindy have a wonderful Christmas....I know it has been a year of loss of fur babies for you both.  I pray next year brings new life to both of you.  

Honored Contributor

When my dad awoke early one morning saying he was having trouble breathing,  he asked me to take him to the ER.   I threw on some clothes and took him.   He was having the heart attack that a month later resulted in his death.   He'd had a heart attack 10 years earlier.   This is not something I'd fool around with.   I'd take him to urgent care now for an EKG or call his doctor. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Some of you know that DH had a cardiac arrest 3 yrs. ago and they lost him many times.  He was given a 4 in 100 chance to live and he made it.  He now has a defibrillator.

Before he had this problem, I thought he had all the symptoms of Sleep Apnea because of his snoring and how he stopped breathing at night. He never really had it checked out.  When he came home from the hospital after his cardiac arrest,he didn't snore much anymore so we have thought maybe it somehow "righted" itself.

Lately, I noticed he is snoring again.  The other night I got up and found him sitting on the edge of his bed in the guest room.  He sleeps there now because he has a land line instrument from Boston Scientific that reads his heart rhythm at night. It will light up if I need to call an ambulance.  It didn't light up. Anyway, he looked shaken and I asked him what was wrong and told him I heard him snoring and came to check him out because his light was on.  He said he woke up not able to get his breath.  It scared him....I could tell.  I wanted him to make an appointment right away and get to the doctor.  He wants to wait till a standing appointment he has in January.  I am very concerned.  His doctors never addressed the sleep apnea because it seemed to go away. This "spell" happened night before last and he still hasn't called a doctor. I am about ready to pitch a hissy fit.  I think he is thinking because it just started up again he has plenty of time to see about it.  Quite frankly, I am worried.  Anyone here have a similar situation?

The very next time anything like this happens, go into another room and call 911.  Tell them everything you know and let them take him to the emergency room.  He should have no say in whether or not he sees a doctor immediately.  I think that is the only way he'll be cared for before it's too late!  HUGS!

Honored Contributor

Re: Sleep Apnea

[ Edited ]

Thank you ladies (and gent).  I showed all your posts to DH and it sombered him up a bit. He said "Geez"....with a serious look on his face. I am hoping it was enough for him to call his doctor soon. I greatly appreciate your responses.