Regular Contributor

I recently participated in an at home sleep stud and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. A message from PC says he will contact Medicare regarding disgnosis and treatment. I have been using a custom mandibular appliance for a least 10 years which I will discontinue. I am seeking advice and information regarding CPAP machines covered by Medicare. Personal recommendations of what to avoid and what is useful. Assuming Medicare covers cost of basic? What to expect from Medicare? 

Super Contributor

I'm not sure about Medicare because my husband got his while still on his employer insurance.   We do get the supplies needed on Amazon. It was cheaper than getting through his insurance.  He definitelynsleeps better, I hope you will too.

Trusted Contributor

@Hilery I've been using a CPAP for 5 plus years as my ortho doctor referred me prior to my hip replacement.  I really do notice a difference in my sleep quality & my awareness during the day.  The machine itself plus the supplies have all been covered through Medicare plus my Plan F supplement.  During my last couple years of work I was having sleep issues & sorry now that I didn't pursue this sooner.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Hilery 

I have had 6 sleep studies, done in 3 different facilities, that was all they did at these places. And the nurses were trained specifically in how to attach all the connections. Each time that took the best part of an hour to hook me up.

Knowing how long and how many wires I was connected to each time! I am just curious how an "in home sleep study is done"!

My sleep studies were done for reasons other than Sleep Apnea, but. The results included that also in their findings.

My results--3 said I had Sleep Apnea, 3 said I did not. From my experiences, and seeing all the recording devices used in these Sleep Study facilities!  They must have improved immensely since I had my last one.

Unfortunately the 1st one showed Sleep Apnea so I was on a CPAP. It was paid for by Medicare. I tried several different type masks, and did not like any of them.

When my Pulmonologist ordered my 2nd Sleep Study, it came up negative for Sleep Apnea, so I ditched the CPAP.

After my 2nd bout with Pulmonary Embolism(PE), I was on an Oxygen Concentrator for 18 months. This was because my Oxygen Saturation numbers got way too low when I was sleeping, thus all the Sleep Studies.

After the 18 months and the many Sleep Studies, my lungs had become strong enough to maintain a good Oxygen Saturation level when sleeping.

No Oxygen Concentrator, no CPAP.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn   My SO just had a home sleep study done for his pulmonologist since newly diagnosed with mild COPD.  It is not as in depth as the in house one.  The sleep clinic sent a small device with leads to attatch to your chest and a tube to the nose.  Then you either drop it off or send it back.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook 

Thank you for that information. I didn't doubt that the OP had this done, I was just very curious how. Sounds pretty simple, for me I prefer the older tried and ttue methods.

You mentioned your SO and COPD. After my 1st heart attack, with the Aspirstion Pneumonia included, my lungs were pretty damaged. From that and my 2 prior bouts with PE, they were struggling to keep my blood oxygen sufficient. That is when he also wanted me on an Oxygen Concentrator at night. That used just the nose cannula and he had me very the amount set on the Concentrator.

That is when my Pulmonologist prescribed my first Sleep Study. I too was showing mild COPD, and he also prescribed 12 sessions of Pulmonary Rehab. It was strange for me as I was the only one without a portable oxygen device.

Thanks again for the info. I hope everything turns out the best for your SO, and you also.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

Re: Sleep Apnea CPAP

[ Edited ]

@Pook @hckynutjohn , the home study involved a recording device attached to upper admomen with cannula in nose and oximeter attached to finger. I refer you to blackstonemedicalservicesdotcom/instructions/ for additional information. Will Medicare contact me with vendor referral?  Do I locate my own vendor for device? Is there a wide range of price for device? Assume there are good, better, best devices? Thank you for your insight. 

Honored Contributor

@Hilery 

My husbands C-pap came thru the VA's contracted medical supply network.   A rep brought the machine to the house and set it up; my husband had no choice in anything.

We were not notified when the VA dropped that supplier and went to a new one for the machines and supplies.  It took 4-6 months for him to get replacement mask and hoses; he is still using the original concentrator.  Only once in the last 15 years did the VA request to have the SIM card sent in to verify usage, in order to continue sending supplies.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sleep Apnea CPAP

[ Edited ]

@Hilery 

All of my machinery and supplies were from a local Medical Supply Store recommended by Pulmonologist and Cardiologist. 

A representative from there, that was a Respiratory Therapist, came to my home and explained what was covered completely by Medicare. He also had my medical history in regards to my needs. This was both for my Oxygen Concentrator and my CPAP Machine, and accessories. 

For the CPAP he had me try on different masks to see which I preferred. Kinda hard to tell from wearing it a few minutes, than sleeping the night in it. The CPAP Machine I chose had a water type of tank. That way I wasn't getting dry air through the tubing and mask.

Gotta go now, my wife will be calling me. She is in a different city Pet Sitting for 9 days.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

@hckynutjohn  I have seen a newer type using cannula rather than mask. Thanks for your information. I will wait for word from PC.